Arizona Assistant Coach Denied by TSU Tries PVU

C-LeB28

Josh Pastner who applied for the head basketball coaching position at Texas Southern (who had the Houston Chronicle heavily lobby for him) is now trying his luck with Prairie View.

Josh is on 610 AM Sports Radio right now talking Arizona's Sweet Sixteen matchup as well as applying for the PV position.

For those of you who don't remember him, he was a local kid from the suburbs of Houston who went to play basketball for Lute Olsen at the University of Arizona. Who is about 23 years old and a white assistant "prodigy" :rolleyes: as reported by the Houston Chronicle is now doing their best to get him in at Prairie View now. You think the media knew everything there is to know about Prairie View know that Pastner is applying for this position.

It's amazing how when Courtney was given the position at TSU how the local media said TSU made a huge mistake. Brainwashing at it's finest. :smh:

I remember. Isn't he Hal Pastner's son? I had focused my attention on a couple other possibilities, but doesn't he have a pipeline to almost every kid that has touched a basketball?

Yes it is.

He once coached a national champion AAU team one summer. He is very articulate and knows basketball backwards and forward. The media loves him. His dad even promised Ralph Cooper some money because of his influence with TSU athletics.

Yes, you are right about the media brainwashing people. I even had some of my relative buying into that hype about TSU should have hired him. The man may go on and become the all time winnest coach but can you imagine me going to a PWU with the same coaching experience Pastner had last year and saying I wanted to be their head coach. Probably laughed right out of the AD's office. Also, on the notion of being an AAU coach doesn't say that much to me. I know some people from my church and job that are AAU coaches. Lastly if he has such good contacts to get all these recruits why is Arizonia not loaded.

Well, my question is, if he is such a good coach and have all these contacts, why havn't one of the PWU's hired him?

Wow. This is the first I have heard of that. I think I remember reading an article in the Chronicle about Pastner, but I really don't remember what it said. That name just rang a bell. Can someone enlighten me?

AAU coach, whoop de doo. Pastner is all hype. no substance to me. I have a personal choice for the Prairie View job and I hope he gets the job because we need to generate interest in the short term in the Houston area.

I talked with him this weekend and he wants it badly. He already has 1 legitimate SWAC supporter in his corner.

Besides him, I hear an assistant at Baylor will apply and expect interest from the NAIA coach at Huston Tillotson.

As for AAU, you already know the better players will go to the big schools regardless. Putting him in that position does nothing for me unless 5 all-americans publicly say they will enroll if pastner signs.

I talked with a guy today who is in the "know" concerning Houston hoops and he filled me in on a possible coach who called him and said he has some bad news to throw out. (bad to the HS kids).

He told me TSU is ready to load up next year. I got some more names of players TSU has offered.

I would not be surprised if Pastner is hired at P.V. P.V. pop. is slowly shifting. Pastner dad will be in college station lobbying hard.

I dont know anything about Pastner, so I dont want anybody to think I am downplaying him.... I am only commenting about the AAU coaching thing.

ANYBODY can coach a good AAU team. All you have to do is have the right contacts and you will be an instant winner. AAU teams are nothing but talent and no coaching. Here in Huntsville, we have one of the top AAU programs in America (the Addidas Raptors). There are players from Alabama, Mississippi, Tn, and Atlanta. They come to Huntsville 2 weekends a month to practice. The coach has admitted he knows NOTHING about coaching, but they continue to win every tournament they are in. I would pick a high school coach over an AAU coach anytime.

PV is about to hire DOUGIE HOWSER? The damn boy is a genious. Anybody that can take 33 hrs a semester and graudate in 2 and a half years, needs to be on Wall Street or something. How in the hell can you take 33 hrs a semester and play basketball? Honestly, I think he is too young to be a coach. He is only 23.

Originally posted by DAHILL
How in the hell can you take 33 hrs a semester and play basketball?

As an engineering major, I must say that that is a very good question.

Isn't it obvious that the kid wasn't playing b'ball. He was a book worm who happend to be on the b'ball team.
The Kingwood, Texas native played in 42 games as a Wildcat and finished his career with an average of 0.9 ppg. The Wildcats were 42-0 in the games in which he appeared

Whether or not he can be a good coach or not remains to be seen. He's got to get a start some where so why not make make a HBCU the proving ground... If he wins, he be outta there in no time and if he doesn't, they'll probably say they didn't give him the resources.

Why aren't they marketing him at one of the Texas PWCs?

They aren't marketing him at any Texas PWCs becuase he is only getting "assistant to the assistant" coaching positions. He and the media think coming to a HBCU would be a shoe in for him since they believe our programs are pathetic anyway.

THINK ABOUT IT.

C-LeB28, you make an excellent point. I know that coaches move constantly. I know that some coaches have stayed at a school for just a year or two. (Remember Tommy Bowdon at Tulane?) But I do not want HBCUs to just became a weigh station or a stepping stone to the big schools. I would like for us to re-build something at our athletic programs that will last.

Consider this. Look at the legendary players and coaches that have been in the SWAC. Coaches like Mumford (SU), Nicks (PV), Robinson (GSU), Jackett (PV) and Whitney (ASU) made a lot of noise while they were SWAC coaches. While people may not respect what our programs are doing now. They have no choice but to respect the history of our programs and who built them. BTW at least three of the coaches are in someone's hall of fame (Nicks is in at least two of them.) and another was an Olympic track coach.

In order for us to get back to where our school was (PV did win a national championship in 1962.), I do not see how we can get there with Pastner. I think that after a couple of good years or three he is gone.

Understand this very well. Having a few good teams (or years) in an athletic program in a sport does not necessarily mean that a school has a good athletic program in that particular sport. For instance, not only has Arizona had good teams in basketball, they also have a good program. Arizona State may have had good teams recently. But do they have a good basketball program? Does one think that it is as good as Arizona's?

Understand. I have no problem with a White coach at an HBCU. Look at Hampton. I think that FAMU's men's basketball coach is White. Also, one of my best professors at PV was a visiting professor who was also White. But I hope that my beloved alma mater will not allow itself to be used.

In this new day and age of young coaches, trends show they spend less than five years at a program only to market themselves for a larger school. While I can understand where they are coming from, we (HBCUs) need someone who will stand the test of time and build a foundation.

I love and respect Coach Moreland to the fullest for being at Texas Southern for 26 years. He turned down offers from several other schools to coach but his loyalty would not allow him to. Even to this day he still bleeds maroon and grey.

C-LeB28,

Although I agree with your statement behind the reason that the general European media community is behind Josh Pastner in his goal for then Texas Southern University head men's basketball position and now the Prairie View A & M University head men's basketball position. (Personally, I am not in support of Josh Pastner's hiring for the position in know way is a reflection is the thought that he will leave in three or four years. I just simply question is qualifications to be successful as the Prairie View A & M University head men's basketball coach.

I disagree with you and EB thoughts on wanting a coach whom is interested in commiting long term to Prairie View A & M University men's basketball program.

If we really want to move Prairie View A & M University men's basketball forward to the forefront as a successful mid-major NCAA Division I programs we want a coach whom will be in position to apply for a more lucrative so-called major NCAA Division I program head coach's position in three to five years.

We know this would only be possible if the new Prairie View A & M University head men's basketball coach is able to consistantly finish at the top of the SWAC and earn the SWAC Tournament Championship for an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament as well as win a couple first round games during his tenure with a possible sweet sixteen appearance mixed in.

I believe this is the direction and goals our HBCU programs should desire to achieve. So, I believe we need a young energetic personable coach with a knowledge for the game and hunger to get to the next level. Similar to what I believe we have as in our athletic director.

I am aware that it is very difficult for those SWAC fans as well as other athletic fans to believe that Prairie View A & M University has made moves to help create a situation where Prairie View A & M University's athletic programs will be more competitive in the near future, based on our past athletic programs history. But, as many often say. Time will tell.

I will be back for more. But I want a commitment for the PV basketball program. If the coach is committed, then the school should be committed. It is only fair and sensible. Right now I do not think that Pastner would have that commitment to the overall health of the program. It is a feeling that I have.

Right now it would do him well to take an assistant's job. He has or should have learned a lot from Lute Olsen. If he wants to be a head coach, coaching under someone else could help him to learn more. Basically what I am saying is that it would help for him to have some patience, which is something that I do not think he has a lot of now. He is young and has a lot of time. I do not mind a coach looking out for his own security. But again I do not want HBCUs just to be a stepping stone for or a weigh station to the bigger programs.

EB,

But I want a commitment for the PV basketball program. If the coach is committed, then the school should be committed. It is only fair and sensible.

Please provide your definition of commitment.

Right now it would do him well to take an assistant's job. He has or should have learned a lot from Lute Olsen. If he wants to be a head coach, coaching under someone else could help him to learn more. Basically what I am saying is that it would help for him to have some patience, which is something that I do not think he has a lot of now. He is young and has a lot of time.
I whole heartedly agree.

But again I do not want HBCUs just to be a stepping stone for or a weigh station to the bigger programs.
In my opinion the commitment I would like view from Prairie View A & M University is to become one of the top 5 to 10 best mid-major programs in the country.

I believe for this to happen you need create a Tulsa or MVC like program(s). They have shown a history of bringing in the best and the brightest head coach that will move onto a "major" program by what the pundents view as over achieving by the Tulsa basketball program with their consistant solid performance in the NCAA Division I Tournament with first round wins and sweet sixteen appearances.

Former Head Coaches of Tulsa
ie. Ex-Arkansas - Coach Nolan Richardson
Kentucky - Coach Tubby Smith
Steve Robinson
Illinois - Coach Bill Self
Tennessee - Coach Buzz Peterson

Former Assistant Coaches of Tulsa
Andy Stoglin
Rob Spivery

I do not want a coach that wants to call Prairie View A & M University home for 10 or 15 years, most mid-major programs that have went this route may have success at the conference level, but have rarely shown success at the NCAA Division I Tournament level.

Back