Arena Football coming to Montgomery.......

HORNETSWARM

The 5:00pm NBC news affiliate WSFA just made a surprising announcement that 10,000 seat Garrett Coliseum will be the new home of the "Montgomery Maulers" football team. When it was completed, Garrett Coliseum was one of the largest indoor facilities in the Southeast. The team will be coached by former Ole Miss QB John Fourcade. The team will start off by getting a few local players from Bama State as well as players around the state and nation. The logo is this big 300 pound lumberjack with a big sledgehammer or axe in his hand. The city stayed quiet about this and shocked all Montgomerians. Tomorrows newspaper will have more details. First, the Biscuits baseball team, now the Maulers, and next a basketball team that's been supposively practicing in ASU's Acadome. We're on the go in Montgomery.

yeah I saw that on the news. Btw, Chad Lucas just signed a contract with San Jose Sabercats!!! Congrats to Chad.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Which league will the Maulers be competing in? There are quite a few of these leagues out there these days. Is it the AFL, AFL2, NIFL or some other indoor football league?

GramFan said:
Which league will the Maulers be competing in? There are quite a few of these leagues out there these days. Is it the AFL, AFL2, NIFL or some other indoor football league?
I think it's the NIFL

Re: New news on Montgomery's arena football.

Another step BEHIND Huntsville :)

Will Montgomery try to get a NBADL team next or a Hockey team????

Bartram said:
dang. i thought it was Arena League II. I wonder what the impact will be on the biscuits?

The Vipers just left the AF2... from reports here the AF2 isnt on solid ground right now and more teams are leaving in the future. Here is the article...

Vipers leave af2 for new league
Details are few, but Clarkson says Tennessee Valley will play in 2005
Tuesday, November 02, 2004
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
The Tennessee Valley Vipers, one of the premier franchises in arenafootball2, have left the league and are expected to join a newly formed indoor league, owner Art Clarkson said Monday night.

Clarkson said he was unable to provide further details of the new venture, but said indoor football would be in Huntsville in 2005.

"We are playing football next year," Clarkson said. He wouldn't disclose the other parties involved in the new business venture.

Tennessee Valley isn't the only team leaving af2. According to The Journal Star News, the Peoria Pirates have also left the league.

Jerry Kurz, af2's interim executive director, suggested in a story in The Journal Star News that Clarkson had something to do with Peoria leaving.

"I think Art Clarkson wanted to be king of af2, and influenced Peoria to go along with him," Kurz said.

Said Clarkson: "We want to part on amicable terms. I wish all of my partners in af2 well."

Kurz told The Journal Star News that Tennessee Valley had been behind on its bills and was not a good member in standing for years. Clarkson scoffed at that, reiterating that he had been named Executive of the Year in 2001 and 2003 and was voted Chairman of the Board for 2004.

"How could that have happened if we were not in good standing?" Clarkson asked.

Meanwhile, Hawaii, Laredo and Columbus, Ga., will be dormant in af2 until 2006. Cape Fear will move to Albany, Ga. As a result, af2 will field 20 teams in 2005, down from 25 last season. The 20 teams will be the fewest af2 has fielded since the league opened in 2000.

"I'm more interested in the long range future of Tennessee Valley indoor football than af2," Clarkson said.

One of the problems Clarkson had with af2 was its ownership groups.

"My issues are the type of ownership has changed from operators, in my opinion, to ownership groups of wealthy people who don't mind losing six-figure incomes," Clarkson said. "I do not fit into that group of people. I don't begrudge them for that, but I should begrudge the fact this is my livelihood and it's time for us to move on to a different league, which is made up of operators, people who are in this business because it is their business."

DAHILL said:
The Vipers just left the AF2... from reports here the AF2 isnt on solid ground right now and more teams are leaving in the future. Here is the article...

Vipers leave af2 for new league
Details are few, but Clarkson says Tennessee Valley will play in 2005
Tuesday, November 02, 2004
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
The Tennessee Valley Vipers, one of the premier franchises in arenafootball2, have left the league and are expected to join a newly formed indoor league, owner Art Clarkson said Monday night.

:eek: ,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh my,,,,,, this one totally escaped me. you mean to tell me Arena League II is having problems??? i thought they were a part of Arena League which, I thought, was doing very well for a new pro football league (better than any other pro football league started other than the NFL leagues.). stunned.

HORNETSWARM said:
Dahill, we're "Outerlooping" here in Montgomery. (27) miles worth just for the southern portion.

Here we go again:http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5/storyV5MONEY23W.htm

What Montgomery needs is light rail. This would be AWESOME. Could you imagine "Hornet Station" taking students to downtown and all the primary shopping areas of Montgomery? And what if we had high-speed rail running from Montgomery to Atlanta/B'ham/Mobile/through Tuskegee/Auburn-Opelika, La Grange etc like in Europe or Japan???

You know,,,, I have to ask a rhetorical question here. How in the hell is it that Montgomery was the first city to have light rail in the early 1900s ("The Lightning Route"),, but yet now the mere mention of light rail in Montgomery (or any other city in Alabama for that matter, even Birmingham) is laughable??? It's rhetorical though. Cars are so predominant and much more autonimous it's hard to argue against them unless you are a place with an extremely high population concentration having to get to another location of extremely high temporary populations.

Back