Are we getting our money worth in the SWAC for coaches?

I'm sure many of you have seen this already. But explain to me if this is true, how exactly does a component administrator seriously consider raising the salary of anyone?

View attachment 18852
Alcorn got it right. They told McNair this is what we can pay. Wha'cha gone do Playa? Even though McNair is a very good coach, the administration put the program first.
Because the govt wiped out a shit ton of our debt a couple years ago to the tune of 100mil+, The State Board of Governors let us write off our athletic debt that was owed to us, the city of Tallahassee just gifted us 10 mil for stadium maintenance and is considering another 15 mil per request, the alum just committed to 100k in donations to be used to supplement coaches salaries, FAMU is expected to walk away with over a mil of unbudgeted revenue for hosting the SWAC championship game and another mil for winning it.

I think we'll be ok 🙂

We are not. I was kinda stunned by the salaries of the coaches in the FCS championship game. If we are going to be paying coaches premium salaries then we need to see premium outcomes on the field.

The base salary for the two coaches in the FCS Championship:

SDSU: 305k
Montana: 205k

Furman (another top 10 team) is at around 300k.

We tend to pay fook without a plan to be best in class. It's irresponsible.
Very true and has been this way for a good while.
What value = bang for buck on coaching? Winning. Sometimes...many times, it's just hard for an educatorn/coach to do some real soul searching and change their losing habits and schemes and scouting and recruiting.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think that is an assumption more than a reality. Just because we are HBCU fans/supporters/enthusiast and have platforms to discuss internal thoughts and workings of our athletic departments doesn't mean others are without issues.

A white coach employed at a DII PWI penned this in a letter to other coaches upon departing for another opportunity:

In that letter, he laid out some of the stark realities of being the head coach at the small, private Division II program located in east Tennessee.
Among the challenges he shares are having to sleep on couches in recruiting and only recruiting in areas where your coaches live to so they can save money, sharing the indoor facility with 24 other sports, and having to hire coaches 30 or younger because of the low salaries available. Those coaches will also have to wear multiple hats like painting the fields, helping with equipment and being an academic advisor to their players.

On a positive note, Odom shares that the next head coach will be set up with more resources and competitive scholarship packages, and raves about the leadership at the school, despite the many challenges.

I think this is common at all lower FCS schools even PWI's. Athletics is expensive to run period. Even the big schools struggle to keep up with what seems to be unlimited resources in some cases. Operating with deficits ect.

I think this is common at all lower FCS schools even PWI's. Athletics is expensive to run period. Even the big schools struggle to keep up with what seems to be unlimited resources in some cases. Operating with deficits ect.
Big schools set the market and got greedy

No one told them to pay coaches crazy amounts or overspend on facilities to drive up debt so they then hemorrhage the tv networks to pay them more to offset it

When the tv said enough you see how fast things stopped

Back