Any Guitar Players on this Board?

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
A few months ago, I started taking lessons, learned a few chords, and now I can't seem to put it down. In fact, now when I listen to may favorite music, my ear will focus more on the strings. Probably the coolest hobby I've yet to take up in some time...

The funny thing is, I was given a guitar way back when I was 8. The lessons were just too much above my head and I was more into playing sports. A few years later in the 6h grade, I waited a little too late to sign up for football, so I joined the middle school band to stay busy and play saxophone. I really enjoyed the instrument and was coming along nicely till spring came around and I wanted to play baseball. I broke my band director's heart when I told him I wanted to quit. Vowed I would pick up the instrument again. Finally decided now is the time. I only chose the guitar instead since it was cheaper and my daughter was interested in learning the instrument with me as well, and a co-worker who is a professional musician was offering lessons.

Not only do I understand the passion that others have, but just like with other things, it's almost like a cult. You can interact with another player that may not be into the same music styles, yet you still feel this cool connection that only those that play the instrument can actually understand.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, being the music lover I've always been...I've immediately listened to more of George Benson's work. My pop's had every album that he put out in the 70s. I have a deeper appreciation for Wes Montgomery as well. No doubt Jimi Hendrix was the man. His life and what drove him is even more intriguing to me. Yet another cat who probably never got enough recognition is Eddie Hazel. He is however in the Rock Music HOF with George Clinton and his co-harts from Parliament-Funkadelic. His music and style is perfect for me. A right combination of Funk, Soul, and Heavy Metal like Rock. A cat in Atlanta that I know (the owner of JB Records) has an original copy of Eddie's only album which is rare due to limited copies --> Game, Dames, and Guitar Thangs. It is being offered through his shop for $500!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A few months ago, I started taking lessons, learned a few chords, and now I can't seem to put it down. In fact, now when I listen to may favorite music, my ear will focus more on the strings. Probably the coolest hobby I've yet to take up in some time...

The funny thing is, I was given a guitar way back when I was 8. The lessons were just too much above my head and I was more into playing sports. A few years later in the 6h grade, I waited a little too late to sign up for football, so I joined the middle school band to stay busy and play saxophone. I really enjoyed the instrument and was coming along nicely till spring came around and I wanted to play baseball. I broke my band director's heart when I told him I wanted to quit. Vowed I would pick up the instrument again. Finally decided now is the time. I only chose the guitar instead since it was cheaper and my daughter was interested in learning the instrument with me as well, and a co-worker who is a professional musician was offering lessons.

Not only do I understand the passion that others have, but just like with other things, it's almost like a cult. You can interact with another player that may not be into the same music styles, yet you still feel this cool connection that only those that play the instrument can actually understand.
Yep, I used to love it! Played for years back in the day. Started when I was 6 and played consistently until my college days........even had a full band in Jr. High and High school......played talent shows, etc. Haven't picked it up in a while but I bought my son an acoustic and since he's away in college, I'm thinking about picking it back up for fun. I started out with sheet music and lessons but then I started sitting in my room with a cassette player of my favorite music/musicians , rewinding over and over and just learned play by ear.

Last edited:
Yep, I used to love it! Played for years back in the day. Started when I was 6 and played consistently until my college days........even had a full band in Jr. High and High school......played talent shows, etc. Haven't picked it up in a while but I bought my son an acoustic and since he's away in college, I'm thinking about picking it back up for fun. I started out with sheet music and lessons but then I started sitting in my room with a cassette player of my favorite music/musicians , rewinding over and over and just learn play by ear.
@tigertrail Real Cool!

As I was growing up in the 70s and early 80s, it seemed like bands were a common thing. I could go to any street and hear a garage band practicing. A talent show at a local school would always have band of some sort. By the late 80s and beyond, all that seemed to changed. Most talent shows that I saw had singers, rappers, DJs, dancers and what not, but I would never see anyone performing with an instrument, more or less a guitar.

Even musically (at least when it came to R&B)/, it seemed like Mint Condition or Brand New Heavies were the last of mainstream artists that were in the mold of bands from back in the day, until that Neo Soul music vibe took over and brought some of that energy and like minded groups back.

@tigertrail Real Cool!

As I was growing up in the 70s and early 80s, it seemed like bands were a common thing. I could go to any street and hear a garage band practicing. A talent show at a local school would always have band of some sort. By the late 80s and beyond, all that seemed to changed. Most talent shows that I saw had singers, rappers, DJs, dancers and what not, but I would never see anyone performing with an instrument, more or less a guitar.

Even musically (at least when it came to R&B)/, it seemed like Mint Condition or Brand New Heavies were the last of mainstream artists that were in the mold of bands from back in the day, until that Neo Soul music vibe took over and brought some of that energy and like minded groups back.
Man you are so right about that - real bands seem to no longer exist that much. But yeah man, we would walk from Jr. High to my friend's garage. I'd have my guitar case with me and we had a flock of people(girls mainly :)) following us to come hear us practice. Miss those days. We even had rival bands from other schools once we got to high school. Keep it up my man.....it's such a fun thing to do!

Back