Another Man Says Police Raped Him With a Plunger

buckwheat

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c1gb7733-8574,00.html

Another Man Says Police Raped Him With a Plunger
By Christine Phillip, BET.com Staff Writer

Posted on October 17, 2003 -- Reports that Minneapolis officers sodomized a Black man with the handle of a plunger is heightening already tense relations between police and the Black community.

In fact, things are so tense that Police Chief Robert Olson has turned the case over to the FBI -- a rare move, he said.A series of police brutality charges have overshadowed the
Minneapolis Police Department in recent months, and a federal team has been meeting with officials to discuss the matter.

According to Stephen Porter, 25, two officers with a search warrant entered a home where he was staying. He said that one officer left him in the living room and moved everyone else to the kitchen. Porter previously had been a confidential informant for the officer.

Porter said the officer frisked him, and not finding anything, took a plunger handle and shoved it into his rectum four times, tearing tissue.

Porter was arrested but was released without being charged; he received medical attention after reporting the incident.

Olson said officers found marijuana and what appears to be cocaine during the raid on the house. The officers -- Todd Babekuhl, 41, and Jeffrey Jindra, 43 -- were suspended with pay.

A police supervisor, who is questioning Porter's claim, says he has a history of hiding crack cocaine in his rectum.

Mayor R.T. Rybak has promised "immediate and swift consequences" if Porter's claims are true.

FBI Agent Paul McCabe said the agency would review the case and then consult the U.S. attorney's office.

The case is strangely reminiscent of a 1997 incident in which New York City Police Officer Justin Volpe sodomized a young, Black Haitian immigrant with a toilet plunger.
The victim in that case, Abner Louima, was in critical condition after the assault and needed surgery to repair a puncture in his small intestine and an injury to his bladder.

Louima won an $8.75 million settlement in the case. Volpe, 25, was sentenced to 30 years in prison for aggravated sexual assault.

What should happen to police if the claims are true? What can be done to improve racial relations between Blacks and police?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by SU's Finest '93
Isn't this some mess? I just dont understand.

Girl, it's awful. I was cringing in my chair as I was reading that story and the only thing I kept saying was "Jesus."

No doubt that there are some dirty (racist) cops out there. I know everybody is not like me, but I just can't see myself purposely hurting another human being who didn't do anything to me personally to the point where he/she needs to go to the hospital.

I don't know if anything can be done to improve race relations between African-Americans and police officers. Their racist ways/beliefs/thoughts are personal (in their heart), and obviously some of them bring that racist mess on the job and act upon it when opportunities present itself. It's sad.

Jesus...

Originally posted by CriTAUcal
Girl, it's awful. I was cringing in my chair as I was reading that story and the only thing I kept saying was "Jesus."

No doubt that there are some dirty (racist) cops out there. I know everybody is not like me, but I just can't see myself purposely hurting another human being who didn't do anything to me personally to the point where he/she needs to go to the hospital.

I don't know if anything can be done to improve race relations between African-Americans and police officers. Their racist ways/beliefs/thoughts are personal (in their heart), and obviously some of them bring that racist mess on the job and act upon it when opportunities present itself. It's sad.

Jesus...

Think about it CriTAUcal, most of those "dirty" cops get into that line of work just so than can dominate, manipulate and use their racist tactics while getting away with it, in most cases. Lots of these cops only get slaps on the hands for these actions. Sad you say, but true. :shame:

Originally posted by SU's Finest '93
Think about it CriTAUcal, most of those "dirty" cops get into that line of work just so than can dominate, manipulate and use their racist tactics while getting away with it, in most cases. Lots of these cops only get slaps on the hands for these actions. Sad you say, but true. :shame:

And that's a shame. Satan is alive and kicking!
And it's not just cops who do the dirty work. Some guards in the prisons are just as bad when it comes to physically harming inmates. They take stuff too far, because they already look down on them for being there in the first place.

That is messed up. There will never be harmony between minorities and the police. Since we are considered as the major contributors to crime in this country, we will always be the "suspect".

Back