jelli

Music Lover
HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Front page

Jan. 15, 2004, 12:02PM

Burglar wedged in chimney rescued
By S.K. BARDWELL
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES

The soot-covered suspect is taken into custody.

soot.jpg

From the scene of the break-in.
Courtesy of KHOU-TV.

What's black and white and red-faced all over?

The would-be burglar whom firefighters had to haul from the chimney of a southwest Houston restaurant early today.

The young man and a friend evidently decided they would break into the Rotisserie for Beef and Bird, 2200 Wilcrest, about 1 a.m., Houston police said. They'd been drinking and decided to accomplish their feat by dropping down the chimney like felonious Santa Clauses, police said.

When the first man became wedged, his friend broke a window at the restaurant and tried to help, police said. Breaking the window, however, set off an alarm, and he fled, leaving his buddy's legs dangling from the dining room fireplace.

"The police were here within three minutes," said Joe Mannke, owner of the Rotisserie for Bird and Beef at 2200 Wilcrest. Living only a short distance from the restaurant himself, he got there soon after police.

A police dog immediately spotted the legs dangling from the fireplace, Mannke said. Even without the visual clue, Mannke said the man could not have escaped notice.

"He was pleading, begging, 'Oh please, please get me out of here. I don't mind going to jail, just get me out.'"

"All you could see was his eyes and teeth," said Mannke. "It was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life."

Police called firefighters, who climbed the roof and lowered a knotted rope to the man. It was difficult, but he managed to climb back out, firefighters said. That was good for Mannke, too -- Plan B was to tear down his chimney.

"When they got him out, he told me, 'My mom and dad come here a lot. This is a real nice place,'" Mannke said, laughing. "I said, 'Yeah, they're going to be very happy with you.'"

Mannke said he was amazed at the amount of soot the would-be burglar had collected by the time he was freed. "In all the years I've had this restaurant, I've never had the chimney cleaned," he said. "Now I don't need to."

The suspect was taken into custody by police, but not before being subjected to dozens of puns including "If you can't take the grime, don't do the crime," and gleefully rendered choruses of "Chim chiminey chim chiminey chim chim cheree."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back