American Soul

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
AMERICAN SOUL is the one and only Don Cornelius’ untold story. Set in the 70s, this period drama is an unflinching look at the entrepreneur, his ‘Soul Train’ dancers, and the musicians who performed in the program, set against the backdrop of a cutthroat Hollywood.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I have been watching this. So far it is pretty interesting. The music industry/show business can be cutthroat/sleazy. I hope I am not jumping to conclusion.

I have been watching this. So far it is pretty interesting. The music industry/show business can be cutthroat/sleazy. I hope I am not jumping to conclusion.
I've been watching it too. Are these side stories fiction? It's hard for me to figure out what is fabricated and what is real. I assume certain dancers experienced events similar to what has been depicted.

Did you guys see the episode with Bobby Brown playing Rufus Thomas? He did a good job because Rufus was like that in real life (always joking and jiving) and I didn't even recognize Bobby. LOL

So Don Cornelius was a straight up G huh? LOL ....but I get it. Yes the music business was and still is cutthroat on all sides. You really had to be strong and somewhat crazy to pull of what Don Cornelius was able to do. Much respect to him!

I just re-watched that episode. You are right. Bobby Brown did an excellent job with that role and he made the most of the time he was on screen.

Oh, have you seen episode 5 yet? What's with that soldier?
The only thing I can conclude is that it has always been documented that a good number of Brothers be it Black or Caucasian that came back from Vietnam experienced some serious Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. My own Uncle was one of them or as my Pops told me, he was never the same once he came back. That seems to be what is going on with him. Add to the fact that the lady seems to be looking at him as a replacement for the man that she lost (shrugging shoulders) especially since the soldier and her husband seemed to have a close bond.

Last edited:
The only thing I can conclude is that it has always been documented that a good number of Brothers be it Black or Caucasian that came back from Vietnam experienced some serious Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. My own Uncle was one of them or as my Pops told me, he was never the same once he came back. That seems to be what is going on with him. Add to the fact that the lady seems to be looking at him as a replacement for the man that she lost (shrugging shoulders) especially since the soldier and her husband seemed to have a close bond.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, was what came to mind too. But, keep in mind, he told her, "I am not who you think I am". See, that should have been a red flag right there. No way should she let this guy move into their garage. (When people tell/show you who they are, you better believe them. I think this is a Maya Angelou quote). And like her son told his mom, you have a teenage daughter here. Who is this guy?? But any way, it should be interesting how this plays out.

Where is this show going script wise? Too many storylines............

I am beginning to agree with you on this (but a lot of these new shows are like that). Don't get me wrong I like the show, but like BulldogM.Ed23, I would really like to know what is real and what is fabricated. Did Dick Clark really do that????

I am beginning to agree with you on this (but a lot of these new shows are like that). Don't get me wrong I like the show, but like BulldogM.Ed23, I would really like to know what is real and what is fabricated. Did Dick Clark really do that????
I'm out of town so I guess I've missed the latest episode, but documentaries did reveal that as Soul Train got popular, Dick created another show to rival Soul Train and Don put a stop to it.

@the band fan is saying what I have been feeling all along. I still like the series but all of these different stories within one are really unnecessary. Sometimes I am so lost at times trying to figure out who is who and why it fits into the development of this show...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This show peaked my interest into the history of Soul Train. So I went to the Houston public library to see if there were any books written on the subject. I found 2 books. Love, Peace, and Soul by Ericka Blount Danois, and The Hippest Trip in America by Nelson George. They were both good reads and very interesting.

I have a better understanding of what is fact (For example, the conflict with Dick Clark) and what is fiction.

I have a better understanding of what is fact (For example, the conflict with Dick Clark) and what is fiction.
Maybe I need to read it too because while I enjoyed the acting, the plot was/is very confusing. Questions I still have:

Who was the group Encore based on?
Who was that gangster supposed to be and did he really try to sell honey?
I knew Don was very strong minded but was he really that violent and temperamental as he was portrayed?

.....questions and confusion....LOL

I had it on the DVR and went on a binge this weekend to see it. The only episode that didn't record was "Just for us", it wasn't even On Demand on uverse.

That was Bobby Brown??? DAMN!!!! I am gonna have to re-watch that episode. I did not recognize Bobby.

I saw they had him on there but didn't realize that was him.

I just re-watched that episode. You are right. Bobby Brown did an excellent job with that role and he made the most of the time he was on screen.

Oh, have you seen episode 5 yet? What's with that soldier?

He played that role right...

Hate ole soldier boy took Jerome out.

They do have too many storylines working on the show. Can't wait for season 2.

I enjoyed tonight's episode because I've alway been intrigued by Sly Stone and his music. Before tonight, I've watched the Soul Train episode with Sly and the Family Stone performing several times. No the episode did not do any justice musically but I thought my man DC Young Fly of 85 South did a hella of a job portraying Sly. There were indeed some funny moments. I've read numerous accounts of Sly and his high influenced antics including his violin case....LOL

I thought so too. I was wondering who the actor was that portrayed Sly. I did not see his name in the credits.

His real name is John Whitfield. He and his brothers are well known as the comedic team of 85 South. Even though I never followed the show, they all started out on Nick Cannon's Wild and Out. From there he and his brothers Chico Bean and Karlous Miller began bring their interactive comedy to pretty much every hood city. Footage of their shows are all over instagram. They are hilarious. I honestly knew nothing about them until I accidentally saw a clip of their show on Instagram months ago.They are wild-->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcVmoWEuJLo

......and this was the original Sly Stone performance on Soul Train. Well, part of it.....Sly was such a music genius, even in his struggles. Look at him, you can tell he is high as a kite...but his music though...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCettT2wdK0

Last night's episode was interesting. I'm sure George and James had many funny confrontations but as a music fanatic of Old School Music, you can tell that Big Boi and Darius adlibed that whole scene...LOL

It also let me know why George Clinton himself never actually appeared on Soul Train. Don may or may not have liked him, but he was never feeling his act.

Speaking of Don, they are really painting a different picture of the man. I just never knew his temperament was that volatile.

It was also interesting how they were comparing Don's not wanting his dancers to branch out and make names for themselves to James and George having issues in their own camp with musicians wanting to do more and get more deserved credit.

Next week's espisode looks like it will be real good. It seems like this whole story is about how Don was able to develop Soul Train and run it with an iron fist in the midst of a cut throat business.

Much respect!

Last edited:
Back