Alumnus Stars in Tony Award-Winning Musical

Olde Hornet

Another one of Dr. Tonea Stewart students making it in the tough world of show business.

http://www.alasu.edu/news/news-details/index.aspx?nid=274

Release Date: Jun 16, 2010

ASU alumnus Jeff Callloway has made his Broadway debut in the hit musical "Memphis," which recently won four Tony Awards.

The neon lights are shining bright for ASU alumnus Jeff Calloway (1997). Calloway has a major role in the hit Broadway play “Memphis,â€￾ which recently won four Tony Awards, including best musical. The play already had won the Outer Critics Circle Award for outstanding new Broadway musical.

Calloway’s role in “Memphisâ€￾ marks his Broadway debut. The play is a rhythm ‘n’ blues musical set in the ‘50s. Calloway is one of the stars of the show, whose character Delray is a nightclub owner.

Despite his recent successes in entertainment, the Theatre Arts graduate did not come to ASU with plans to become an actor. During most of his college career, Calloway found success making crowd-pleasing plays on the football field as a starting fullback for legendary coach Houston Markham.

Calloway’s career was destined for the gridiron until his junior year.

“I came back to campus following surgery – this was 1996 – and they’d changed the offense and tried to get me involved playing tight end,â€￾ said Calloway. “I didn’t like it and I’m sure my coaches were not happy with me.â€￾

Last edited:

Back