All-time best announcer?

the band fan

Baseball Fan
Roy Johnson from SU has to rank up there...the way he would dog the other band out and get the energy going from start to finish as he did it all. Surprised he never made it back to the SWAC.

Roy Johnson from SU has to rank up there...the way he would dog the other band out and get the energy going from start to finish as he did it all. Surprised he never made it back to the SWAC.

Roy was great as an announcer. But of course he was more important as our chief arranger. Still haven't seen anyone as good as Roy in that department. As far him making it back to SWAC that's another story. LOL. If he did. Oh boy!

The best band announcers in this order:

Dr. Jimmie James (JSU). He set the standard in my book over the years. The early years especially.
The Lady (TxSU 80's). That's what we called her. She was no joke. She would go in on the opposing band hard.
Roy Johnson (SU 80's). Roy could place the right words to impact the show as it was happening.
The FAMU announcer during the time I marched in the 80s
The Tenn State announcer during the 80s

I think Bedel's Rhythm with SU's Drills is spot on. Dude's been doing it since the late 90's

I think what makes Bedell a good announcer, he's a former Juke, majored in broadcast journalism, and he's from New Orleans with somewhat a New Orleans accent. From what I understand, he really didn't want the job as the band announcer, but Doc Greggs had his way of getting most of things he wanted, especially from former Jukebox members.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_4a927bd8-f3ca-5d8a-9dfa-22cc0b40aa2a.html

I think what makes Bedell a good announcer, he's a former Juke, majored in broadcast journalism, and he's from New Orleans with somewhat a New Orleans accent. From what I understand, he really didn't want the job as the band announcer, but Doc Greggs had his way of getting most of things he wanted, especially from former Jukebox members.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_4a927bd8-f3ca-5d8a-9dfa-22cc0b40aa2a.html

Bedell been doing it so long, he probably can do it in his sleep. Of course my Psi frat has a strong connection to the Jukebox other than just marching in the Jukebox. His Dad marched in SU's band as well. And we have a Drum Cadence named after him "Joe Friday"

Back