Alcorn student takes on Rebel flag

kci

You can get the full article here: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0207/31/m13.html

More than flag at stake, young protester insists

By John Porretto
AP Business Writer

Where past generations held some of the Deep South's first civil rights protests, 21-year-old Jason Whitfield is taking a peaceful stand against what he views as an emblem of hatred.

The setting: the white-sand beaches of the Mississippi Gulf Coast, where blacks and whites often mingle to sunbathe, hold family reunions and take their chances at gambling houses.

The symbol: the Confederate battle flag, which continues to cause bitter scissions between those who see it as a reminder of Southern heritage and those, like Whitfield, who consider it racist and divisive.

Whitfield, a senior at traditionally black Alcorn State University in Lorman, is holding a sit-in at a public display on the beach where the Rebel flag flies. Tuesday marked his 21st straight day.

The only time he has left is for an occasional shower at his parents' home in Gulfport. He's vowed to remain until the flag comes down.

"I've learned more in three weeks than I've learned in the entire 21 years of my life," Whitfield said Monday, sitting barefoot under a canopy in the 90-degree heat. "This is about more than a flag. It's about spirituality. It's about fearing God. I'm willing to stay here as long as it takes."

Good for Jason! What's the saying, "If you don't STAND up for something, you will fall for ANYTHING", it seems appropriate here.
He has my respect and admiration! I wish him peace and grace.

However, tell him to shut that protest down and head to Lorman before school starts next month!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Is this a state-funded flag sight or a private sight?

If it is a state supported display, da flag gotta go. It has nothing to do with the legal state of MS (,,, well,, Alabama,, i'm going on Alabama law.)

If it is a private display, it may be personnally offensive, but other than that,,, either they can display their stuff, or someone may be able to tell you what you can and can't display one day.

GOOD WORK

GOOD WORK BRUH DO YOUR THANG... WAY TO TAKE A STAND

Back