Alcorn: Imaine if you hired Mike Davis instead of Whitney

• Thread starter The Panther Fan
  • Start date

T

The Panther Fan

I read the Houston Chronicle story on Mike Davis (Indiana coach) last week and it said he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Alcorn job that Whitney got.

Do you think he would have taken you furthern than Whitney?

It is hard to say what would have happen if he would have been Alcorn's coach. This is just one of those "What If" in life. But Whitney has did a great job at Alcorn and it would be hard to top what he has done, leading Alcorn into becomeing the first HBCU to win in the NCAA and NIT tournaments.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't care when it was, I say NO!!! Give Dave Whitney that same team that Davis had, and Indiana cuts down the nets.

This is what I heard:

Mike Davis agreed to be an assistant under Whitney when Whitney was asked to return to Alcorn. Davis agreed to come with the understanding that he would take over when Whitney retired.

At the time Davis was an assistant at Alabama and when they heard he might be leaving they offered him a pay increase he couldn't refuse.

He later decided to go to Indiana as an assistant.

There was a similiar article in the Huntsville Times about Mike Davis.

He contacted Pettaway about coming in as an assistant at AAMU. Pettaway already had an assistant, so Pettaway referred him to University of Alabama, and then he got on as an assistant there.

Hill,
I had to breeze through the Hsv article...what school did Davis obtain his degree?

they never mentioned it in the Chronicle either.

I know he was at Miles but I don't know as a student or coach

This was the very last sentence on the Indiana web site about Davis

He earned a BA in Communications from Thomas Edison College in 1995.

The man went Alabama for 4 years and has nothing to show for it.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
This was the very last sentence on the Indiana web site about Davis

The man went Alabama for 4 years and has nothing to show for it.

I thought he had went oversees and played basketball? Maybe he just had a lil bit to finish up his degree and he enrolled at another university.

During the game did you guys here what was stated about him when he coached at Miles????

They were talking about salaries of both coaches and how far they have come. Well supposedly, Miles paid him $200 dollars for the entire year. I was like I am not hearing this correctly, but they even commented it was per week or month but for the year. Of course, I think they strecthed that til it could not be stretched anymore, but the man has come a long way....

Back