Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
I found it !!!!!!
fa7d5718.jpg

Whoop there it is!!:lmao:

Re: Alcorn Band vs J S U Band

Originally posted by mrst_1
I 'm with you golden 397, No matter what happen on Nov. 21, 2003, I'm looking forward to Nov. 2004. That game and the band is a thing of the pass. As the saying goes, This to shall pass. Unlike my previous msg. I have a son in the Sonic Boom and if they are wrong they are wrong. It could be my parents or the President, if they are wrong they are wrong. We there for support of both team and bands and most of all to have fun with friends and family.

I definitely don't mean this disrespectfully mrst_1, you definitely sound like a caring, good person & parent, but in actuality this is the Swacpage "band" board. This is what we do on the "band" board. We discuss "bands" and what happened the previous week. It just happens that this previous week it was JSU/ASU and the season finale. The "bands" are not there to support each other or to have fun with friends and family. In reality they are there to support their own team and to leave the people in the stadium feeling like they were the best "band" there. But, no matter what the opinion is both schools will "rep" their school to the fullest and argue why we thought our "band" is the best. This is nothing new and it's not personal, just part of the competition that makes The Boom, The Sounds of Dynamite, the Human Jukebox, Grambling, UAPB, and the rest of the SWAC bands so exciting. In actuality no one in either "band" cares about next year yet. There are way too many intangibles for either "band" to know what they will be like next year. The Boom may fall completely flat and the Sounds may be the best band in the Swac or vice versa. Many of the folks in both bands will not even be there next year for whatever reasons. This is why we debate or argue about this or any other game. That is why this is the "band" board. Besides, its the last game of the year, what else do you expect people on the "band" board to talk about. There is no next opponent to gear up for. So we as current or former bandsmen reserve the right to talk about this game on the "band" board.

But as for the wrong is wrong statement, there is no rule that say that one band can't play when another is playing. But there will be a whole crowd saying why is the Boom not playing and trying to pump up their team when they are down. How do I know, I've seen it during the time that I was in the band and watching at games after I left. The band's purpose is to support their own team and get their own crowd involved, not to play nice and watch the other team's crowd have a party and their band continue to create momentum for their crowd and football team. A band that is truly supporting their team will continue to play and encourage the home team and crowd even when their football team is 2-10, their coach sucks, the crowd is booing the team, and their arch rival is dragging them up and down the field. That's support. That's what the Boom did Saturday. That's what the Sounds have done in past years when JSU was dragging them.

Its All Over

Thansk Brave Warrior for your warm welcome to this page. It was my son who introduced me to this page. He is an avid reader of the page and we laugh together at some of the stuff we read. I am a die heart Jacksonian, but the truth is the light and I believe in letting the truth shine. I know when I get back to school that the game will be the topic far into the 04 season but like I daid Its over and I'm looking forward to next year and hope that my son stay on in the band until he finish. Now that its basketball season I'm geared up for that. Our lives must move on and take the bad with the good and keep the faith for our future endeavors.

Boosting the Band and Crowd

Jay dog, I have no problem with what you said and I agree, bur some get to out of hand with this stufff which causes friction. I totally joned a few people myself about the band but I know how far to go. And again it is a thing of the pass now. Don't forget I have a son that is a member of the Sonic Boom and I totally suport him and the others but I am not going to condone any wrong doing. I look at this way, We have beated Alcorn for years, they had three or four (When McNair) We had eight. Lets ger real we can't stay up all the time. somebody got to win and somebody got to lose, Sure I thought we could have done better at winning this year but since we didn't, that is what we need to try and fic now not the band because they can handle their own ground.

Re: Boosting the Band and Crowd

Jay dog, I have no problem with what you said and I agree, bur some get to out of hand with this stufff which causes friction. I totally joned a few people myself about the band but I know how far to go. And again it is a thing of the pass now. Don't forget I have a son that is a member of the Sonic Boom and I totally suport him and the others but I am not going to condone any wrong doing. I look at this way, We have beated Alcorn for years, they had three or four (When McNair) We had eight. Lets ger real we can't stay up all the time. somebody got to win and somebody got to lose, Sure I thought we could have done better at winning this year but since we didn't, that is what we need to try and fic now not the band because they can handle their own ground.

I appreciate you thoughful comment smrst_1. But I do think we all know that it is just fun. But I do think not matter how much noise is talked on this page we all know it's just entertainment & fun. I don't think there have been any real conflicts.

Re: Its All Over

Thansk Brave Warrior for your warm welcome to this page. It was my son who introduced me to this page. He is an avid reader of the page and we laugh together at some of the stuff we read. I am a die heart Jacksonian, but the truth is the light and I believe in letting the truth shine. I know when I get back to school that the game will be the topic far into the 04 season but like I daid Its over and I'm looking forward to next year and hope that my son stay on in the band until he finish. Now that its basketball season I'm geared up for that. Our lives must move on and take the bad with the good and keep the faith for our future endeavors.

Welcome mrst_1 to the SwacPage. Unfortunately you will see some things that you don't agree with and you will not be able to hold your peace. :lol: But don't let it get to you. When I first came to this board, I use to take everything they said literally. Now I've learned to read a few of the posts and if they are too ridiculous, I don't even respond.

I'll have to say I've made a few acquaintances...:wavey: Legend....:wavey: lilc......:wavey:SUtrp96 since I've been posting. Remember also, that a few of the posters are not as grounded/older as we are. I had to remind myself of this several times. We did it when we were in college. well, maybe not to the extent of totally disrespecting other programs,:shame: They are just picking and having fun with each other, I hope. I personally can call things for what they are. If you're wrong, whether it be my alma mater or whoever, I'll step up and say so.

Again welcome....:wavey:

Were you in the band at JSU?

The CCC is now over and it is obvious that JSU took the "W". But after the halftime show, I was left with an empty feeling. Alcorn's sound was weak during the drill but execution was good. And I've seen better drive and intensity from JSU. The JSU/SU show was the best, game should be a classic.

My main criticism: both bands playing at the same time. It's nothing but noise and it's a disservice to the fans. I've read what has been said about crowd support but some things could have been avoided. Alcorn was at the stadium much earlier then JSU and could have marched in, warmed up and entertained the crowd. Now, I like Chameleon but it went overboard at times. JSU overpowered ASU but all bands have got to respect each other.

Did anyone but me notice that during the 3rd quarter, there was some type of altercation among Alcorn band members? One boy had to be physically restrained and it seemed that there was no intervention from the band director.

Originally posted by HoneyWonder
Did anyone but me notice that during the 3rd quarter, there was some type of altercation among Alcorn band members? One boy had to be physically restrained and it seemed that there was no intervention from the band director.

I saw that... as other fights during the game.... :smh:

Re: Alcorn Band vs J S U Band

I 'm with you golden 397, No matter what happen on Nov. 21, 2003, I'm looking forward to Nov. 2004. That game and the band is a thing of the pass. As the saying goes, This to shall pass. Unlike my previous msg. I have a son in the Sonic Boom and if they are wrong they are wrong. It could be my parents or the President, if they are wrong they are wrong. We there for support of both team and bands and most of all to have fun with friends and family.

Welcome to the board, mrst_1 and thanks for bringing bringing sound reasoning to the board....... I have been watching SWAC bands for over 30 years, and I've seen them perform the same basic drills for over 30 years. I am no longer impressed with their field shows. The band directors should watch DCI competition and get some new ideas. Somebody please burn the moving diamonds and jacob ladder pages in the band directors' field show book.....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Re: Alcorn Band vs J S U Band

Originally posted by Jam Piper Jam
[I have been watching SWAC bands for over 30 years, and I've seen them perform the same basic drills for over 30 years. I am no longer impressed with their field shows. The band directors should watch DCI competition get some new ideas.

I like SWAC style but would appreciate more variety in drills and overall showmanship. Norfork State does it all.

My question is? How can you say JSU stole that part of the dance from ASWho? When JSU did it against SU a week before ASWho did it on Valley? I remember Valley band members posting ASU JSU want their dance back, and UAPB want thier Coming To America back!. Even Valley recognized that dance move from our SU game. So that statement made by ASWho about not being able to recognize the dance by changing the music, refers to Aswho, not JSU. Yea we along with everybody else caught ASWho stealing our routine.

ASU has a nice bone section and that's all. I talked with old head Aswhoss on the filed during the 5th and they admitted they got thier a-- handed to them. Even one of your own Drum Major's made a commet to the JSU and Aswho oldheads that where sitting in front of Aswho as the whoo was running out the stands during the 5th. "Man thats too much power over there!"!

And why where your band directors huddling up during the 5th like they were the darn football team? What's up with that? Like JSU could hear thier conversation, so they huddled up to whisper. (L) we could barely hear the tubas and trumpets, how we gone hear what they saying? LOL SMH! That was a funny sight!

Did they yell "Readyyyyyyyyyyy [Clap] Break!" LOL :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by sop83
My question is? How can you say JSU stole that part of the dance from ASWho? When JSU did it against SU a week before ASWho did it on Valley? I remember Valley band members posting ASU JSU want their dance back, and UAPB want thier Coming To America back!. Even Valley recognized that dance move from our SU game. So that statement made by ASWho about not being able to recognize the dance by changing the music, refers to Aswho, not JSU. Yea we along with everybody else caught ASWho stealing our routine.

ASU has a nice bone section and that's all. I talked with old head Aswhoss on the filed during the 5th and they admitted they got thier a-- handed to them. Even one of your own Drum Major's made a commet to the JSU and Aswho oldheads that where sitting in front of Aswho as the whoo was running out the stands during the 5th. "Man thats too much power over there!"!

And why where your band directors huddling up during the 5th like they were the darn football team? What's up with that? Like JSU could hear thier conversation, so they huddled up to whisper. (L) we could barely hear the tubas and trumpets, how we gone hear what they saying? LOL SMH! That was a funny sight!

Did they yell "Readyyyyyyyyyyy [Clap] Break!" LOL :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In all honesty, you can only use the "ASwho" line once or twice before it gets old and starts to sound stupid. I hope you got that out your system.
And your joke was nowhere near funny.

We need to open up a posting school over here or something.

Re: Re: Alcorn Band vs J S U Band

Originally posted by Jam Piper Jam
Welcome to the board, mrst_1 and thanks for bringing bringing sound reasoning to the board....... I have been watching SWAC bands for over 30 years, and I've seen them perform the same basic drills for over 30 years. I am no longer impressed with their field shows. The band directors should watch DCI competition and get some new ideas. Somebody please burn the moving diamonds and jacob ladder pages in the band directors' field show book.....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Corps style marching and SWAC/HBCU marching styles are totally different. You can't even compare them. Why would a SWAC band want to do DCI drills? :rolleyes:

they need some new ideas for field show formations. It seems that the SWAC Bands limit their field shows to making circles, diamonds, boxes and the school initials. It's time to take it to a new level. At least FAMU will make a train, helicopter or something from time to time. I'm just saying the band directors need to start thinking outside the box.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alcorn Band vs J S U Band

Originally posted by GoodFella
"Necks HoneyWonder"

Necks Goodfella for not necking honeywonder hard enough......*passes beer and posts sign for all swacpage oldheads to go off on honeywonder with a neckin' orgy.....:D

Re: Re: Re: Alcorn Band vs J S U Band

Originally posted by Red1
Corps style marching and SWAC/HBCU marching styles are totally different. You can't even compare them. Why would a SWAC band want to do DCI drills? :rolleyes:

A drill is a drill. Mrst wasn't asking that the SWAC go to corp style. She was simply saying that she would like to see some new formations in the drills. I would like to see a couple of the formations that the Drum and Bugle Corp do in a SWAC Halftime show, too.
If you get a SWAC band to do some DCI formations (they can keep their current marching style if they want or use the DCI style), you couldn't touch them when it came to drills. They do some impressive drills. You have to really work on them.
I could see SU, Alcorn, FAMU, or BCC using a DCI drill. SU and Alcorn are known for their drilling. FAMU and BCC have the numbers to pull it off.
That would be interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back