Alcorn and SWAC Football Grades (3rd Marking Period)

LaMont

Whether Alcorn pulls the game off on Saturday against J-State or not, they have had a hell of a year. Let's not be so quick to forget that this is the same team that was O-for the 2000 season. The fact that it is this late in the season and they have a shot to win it says a lot.

Now as for the other teams; here's my preliminary report card on the season.

Alcorn: "A" Obviously. To go from 0-for the 2000 season, to a game away from playing in the SWAC championship??.Nuf Said.

Grambling: "A" Yes, I knew they were going to be good, but they've been exceptional. Their only loss this year, (so far), was to a red hot Bama State team.

ASU: "A-" You got to give it to those guys for getting on a roll after losing their first two games.

PVU: "B" PVU has won 2 SWAC games and 3 games overall. Nuf Said. Also, they've been more than competitive in some of their other loses. Dare I say .500 team in 2002? The thought boggles the mind.

Southern: "B?? They??re still good, but not the team they were 2 or 3 years ago.

Jackson State U: "C" Jackson isn't as bad as it seems. It's just that they've set such a high standard for themselves that whenever they go 7-4, it feels like the world is ending. Still, they probably should have beat A&T and ASU. Nevertheless, they are still a more than respectable team.

Texas Southern U: "C-, D+" Texas Southern could easily have 2 or 3 more wins this season, as they have lost every close game - or so it seems. After the fantastic start they had last year, I figured they would have given a better effort this year.

Ark. PB: "C-, D+" They've been perfect out of conference (4-0) but haven't been good in it. Still, they are over .500 and even if its built on soft competition, you have to win those games.

AAMU: "F" There is no excuse from going from champions to 2-7. The coaches have to get their acts together and figure out how to put some points on the board.

MVSU: "F" No wins this season and at times they haven't competed on the field. I can accept a team short on talent, losing. I CANNOT accept a team short on talent, not trying.

But that's my $0.02. What are your grades?

Back