Alabama's high school Final Four breaks record

DAHILL

17,550 fans sell out 6a state championship game, 11,500 see 6a girls state championship game.......

The final score that matters is: 17,550 fans

The noise was deafening when Cordell Pope sank a 3-pointer at the beginning of the Class 6A state championship game Saturday night.

Pope's bucket gave Parker a rather insignificant 6-1 lead over top-ranked John Carroll Catholic. Still, the noise was deafening and for good reason. A state-record crowd of 17,550 was on hand to watch Birmingham's finest play. It was an official sellout - the first in the state tournament since 15,043 crammed Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa to see Carver beat Parker in the 1978 state final.

The roar was music to my ears.

It brought back memories of a Fair Park Arena packed to the rafters and the fire marshal at the door sending fans back home. It also brought back memories of games at Fair Park Arena when I could count the crowd on my hands and toes.

full article.... http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ringram.ssf?/base/sports/1078654534120311.xml

damn!
:eek:

I just came from the high school championships in GA.
Amazing support
:tup:

btw, anyboy know the racial makeup of John Carroll?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
John Carrol Catholic High is the type of school that everyone hates. Its one in every state. Its a Catholic school in Birmingham, that recruits all of the inner city talent. The Blacks on the basketball team are probably the only ones at the school. The school is expensive. Parker on the other hand is right down the street from Legion Field and in the "hood"..... these two schools were basically ranked 1 and 2 the whole year. They were suppose to play each other in the regular season but it was cancelled the week before the game because of "money issues".... Parker fans and students felt like JC was scared a hood team, so people had been hoping and anticipating a chance for them to play. All you heard from Parker fans is "you cant run now"..... so this was built up as the Battle of Birmingham.... everybody wanted to see this game. I heard Parker was cheated badly.... But JC wins back to back state championships.

John Carroll played an ok game - Parker did not do the little things they needed to do to win. Each team has a 'superstar'. Ronald Steele for JC - early signee at Alabama - showed up and did his thing. Walter Sharpe - early signee at Indiana - didnt show up until the final quarter. Steele is a guard and ended up as MVP - Sharpe is a 6'8" big man that can also shoot from the 3 - was not agressive on the boards, made no moves to control the inside on the offensive or defensive ends.

With that said there were 2 very questionable calls in the final 11 seconds of the game. Parker hit a 3 to tie the game. As JC was tryin to move the ball up court - Sharpe was called for a blockin foul - on what appeared to many to be a charge. He was completely in place because he had been holding that spot since the ball had been inbounded. JC missed the first free throw - made the second (they were in the double bouns). JC (Steele) stole the inbound pass and again was fouled with 4.3 sec left. Again they missed the first free throw, hit the second one. JC has a 2 point lead - Parker inbounds, takes the ball the length of the court, as the guard makes a cross over to get in the lane - JC player 'blocks him' - full body block lol - both players hit the floor. One official blows his whistle and holds his arm up - signaling a foul to be called - the next closest official waves it off and says the horn has gone off - refs run off the floor. It was definately a blockin foul on JC and Parker should have been shooting free throws.

Officiating was consistantly questionable for all the games I witnessed. By the way - my alma mater - West End - was upset in the semis on Thursday - thus messing up what could have been a clean sweep of the big school titles for City of Bham schools - Ramsey High School Girls won 5A Girls Championship - Wenonah High School Girls won 6A Girls Championship, Parker should have won 6A boys - and no doubt West End would have been in major contention for the 5A boys had they been in final game. Would have been something special for an 'inner city' school system filled with such "underachieving" students :goodbad: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by majiksity
John Carroll played an ok game - Parker did not do the little things they needed to do to win. Each team has a 'superstar'. Ronald Steele for JC - early signee at Alabama - showed up and did his thing. Walter Sharpe - early signee at Indiana - didnt show up until the final quarter. Steele is a guard and ended up as MVP - Sharpe is a 6'8" big man that can also shoot from the 3 - was not agressive on the boards, made no moves to control the inside on the offensive or defensive ends.

With that said there were 2 very questionable calls in the final 11 seconds of the game. Parker hit a 3 to tie the game. As JC was tryin to move the ball up court - Sharpe was called for a blockin foul - on what appeared to many to be a charge. He was completely in place because he had been holding that spot since the ball had been inbounded. JC missed the first free throw - made the second (they were in the double bouns). JC (Steele) stole the inbound pass and again was fouled with 4.3 sec left. Again they missed the first free throw, hit the second one. JC has a 2 point lead - Parker inbounds, takes the ball the length of the court, as the guard makes a cross over to get in the lane - JC player 'blocks him' - full body block lol - both players hit the floor. One official blows his whistle and holds his arm up - signaling a foul to be called - the next closest official waves it off and says the horn has gone off - refs run off the floor. It was definately a blockin foul on JC and Parker should have been shooting free throws.

Officiating was consistantly questionable for all the games I witnessed. By the way - my alma mater - West End - was upset in the semis on Thursday - thus messing up what could have been a clean sweep of the big school titles for City of Bham schools - Ramsey High School Girls won 5A Girls Championship - Wenonah High School Girls won 6A Girls Championship, Parker should have won 6A boys - and no doubt West End would have been in major contention for the 5A boys had they been in final game. Would have been something special for an 'inner city' school system filled with such "underachieving" students :goodbad: :rolleyes:

yeah i was at the West End and Butler game to support da crib.... Butler has the best coach in the state of Alabama hands down. Butler won state when they were picked to finish 3rd in the city.. they lost so much from last year nobody picked them to do anything. I kept trying to tell everybody that West End was an average team with a ballhoggin point guard. (Glen Miles is the most overated player in the state).... also Athens would have KILLED West End. Richard Hendrix would have had a triple double on West End because West End has no good big men. I HATE AAMU couldnt sign Courtney Beasley from Butler... He will win 5a player of the year.... He was one of the top ranked sophmores in the country but fell off the recruiting map when he had to sit out his junior year because of grades... He killed West End and Athens and he signed with Jacksonville State.

BTW..... Walter Sharpe didnt sign with Indiana..... he is still undecided and narrowed his choices to UAB and Bama... DJ White of Hillcrest Tuscaloosa signed with Indiana.

Wow!

and they say public schools are dead, get no support? hey, ain't John Carroll in Birmingham too? How did teams from Birmingham end up in the championship? seems like they would have met earlier. :confused:

Originally posted by DAHILL
17,550 fans sell out 6a state championship game, 11,500 see 6a girls state championship game.......

The final score that matters is: 17,550 fans

It was an official sellout - the first in the state tournament since 15,043 crammed Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa to see Carver beat Parker in the 1978 state final.

Oh, so BAMA has expanded Coleman Coliseum (it was Memorial Coliseum when I was in school there) to seat 17, 550? WOW!!

Re: Re: Alabama's high school Final Four breaks record

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
Oh, so BAMA has expanded Coleman Coliseum (it was Memorial Coliseum when I was in school there) to seat 17, 550? WOW!!

nooo lol.... the championships have been moved from Tuscaloosa and Auburn... they are now held in the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center which officially holds 17,400.

Re: Re: Re: Alabama's high school Final Four breaks record

Originally posted by DAHILL
nooo lol.... the championships have been moved from Tuscaloosa and Auburn... they are now held in the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center which officially holds 17,400.

Oh. Ok. :eek: Hey, I have not lived in Alabama since 1975, so I don't know these things anymore, ok. :rolleyes: :lol:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alabama's high school Final Four breaks record

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
Oh. Ok. :eek: Hey, I have not lived in Alabama since 1975, so I don't know these things anymore, ok. :rolleyes: :lol:

:cool: It's all good T/B!

Well, JC should not have been there. LeFlore, from Mobile, AL., my brother's high school was ranked number 4 in the state. They played JC and lost in double overtime to JC 75 to 74. The refs' were horrible in that game. JC is not that good. LeFlore was got in them. LeFlore is the power house basketball team in the state also. LeFlore won state three years ago.

Originally posted by tbonenupe
Well, JC should not have been there. LeFlore, from Mobile, AL., my brother's high school was ranked number 4 in the state. They played JC and lost in double overtime to JC 75 to 74. The refs' were horrible in that game. JC is not that good. LeFlore was got in them. LeFlore is the power house basketball team in the state also. LeFlore won state three years ago.

Leflore is a powerhouse in MOBILE... not in the state. I was at the Leflore and JC game... Leflore choked under pressure, they were not cheated. When you dribble the ball off of your leg with the lead late in the game that is choking not cheating. Also they missed too many free throws. It takes more than recent championship to be considered a powerhouse.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
LeFlore has always been a power house in the state since the 80 's. The won state in the 90's and one three years ago. How many state championships do you need?

Originally posted by tbonenupe
LeFlore has always been a power house in the state since the 80 's. The won state in the 90's and one three years ago. How many state championships do you need?

Leflore won a state championship in 89 and 2002.... that is NOT a powerhouse...lol In that case every past state champion is a powerhouse.

Back