Alabama State University unveils plans for future

Olde Hornet

Alabama State University unveils plans for future

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009909250311

Alabama State University is transforming into a more pedestrian-friendly campus with new facilities that include a hotel and conference center, new student apartments, shops and parking decks.
Advertisement

ASU President William Harris unveiled the university's new Vision 2020 and strategic plan Thursday during his annual state of the university address. About 2,500 people were in attendance for the event at the ASU Acadome.

"We are here today to say we have a vision, we have a plan and we're doing it for the people of Alabama State University," Harris told students. "As we go through this transformation I hope you take full advantage of everything that is offered."

Harris said the university has $150 million to $160 million in new projects under way or in some stage of planning. The first phase of the university's vision includes the recently completed Fred Shuttlesworth Dining Hall, Ralph David Abernathy Hall, the Life Science Building, two dorm renovations and a new $25 million Student Services Center currently under construction.

Within the next five years, the university plans to build a 32,000-seat football stadium at a cost of more than $42 million; a $16.2 million 60,000-square-foot Cultural Interpretive Center; and a $22.8 million Hall Street parking deck with adjoining retail venues and new student housing.

bruh they need to fix the elevators in Benson. Everytime i go on there i say my prayers.

Smoke i dare you to come back on campus and ride that bish to the 7th floor of Benson..see what happens lol

bruh they need to fix the elevators in Benson. Everytime i go on there i say my prayers.

Smoke i dare you to come back on campus and ride that bish to the 7th floor of Benson..see what happens lol
SHIIIIIIIIIITTIN ME!

That shat been busted ever since I crabbed in o3'
:lol:

~walks out~

:clap:

now if only we can add engerneering and architecture programs..

Sciences (Doctorate in Microbiology, biodiesel fuel research and Forensic Science for example) is where the University is attempting to grow. Engineering degree is offered in conjunction with Auburn University.

Is there an Architecture program in the state at a public University?

Last edited:
They are redoing the dorms now - William Benson (men's dorm), and Simpson (women's dorm) will be demolished, and two new residence halls will be built. The exact location has not been determined, but it will likely be behind where the current men's Benson is located.

Also

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090923/NEWS01/909230339/1007/NEWS01

Alabama State University students will soon have a one-stop center for the bulk of their needs.

The university has begun demolishing the university's old Hardy Student Center to replace it with a new, state-of-the-art $25 million Student Activities Center that will sit on about four acres in the heart of campus, said Kippy Tate, the university's vice president for building and grounds.

The 80,000-square-foot, two-story building will become the location for almost all student needs, including offices for registering, admissions, student accounts, career services, student housing, counseling and the university's bookstore, Tate said. It's slated to open in January 2012.

The facility will also house a cyber café, security substation, movie theater, food court, student computer labs, post office, student government offices and the university's panhellenic council suite for Greek sororities and fraternities, school officials said.

Last edited:

SHIIIIIIIIIITTIN ME!

~walks out~

And since i crabbed in 96

Well I can remember my crab bruhs complaining about it and I crabbed in 92!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anyway, that Student Activity center is gonna be something serious. :nod: U dayum kids got it good. :lol:

SHIIIIIIIIIITTIN ME!

:lol::lol:

lmao@you youngins'

Those elevators at Benson were iffy way back in the late 80s. :lol::lol:

Maybe, the first week of school, they would be okay, but after that, let's just say, you'd come out better taking the stairs. :lol::lol:

I blame it on those destructive folks from Chicago. and/or Detroit. They aint used to working elevators.

Last edited:

lmao@you youngins'

Maybe, the first week of school, they would be okay, but after that, let's just say, you'd come out better taking the stairs. :lol::lol:

I blame it on those destructive folks from Chicago. and/or Detroit. They aint used to working elevators.

lol
i dont know about that MH...somebody from New Orleans wrote 504 in permanet ink in one of the elevators and somebody from Phenix City put they hood up there lol

lmao@you youngins'

The "Vator" was jacked up my first day on the yard back in 78.

I think that's the scapegoat for every HBCU in the Deep South! :lol:

Yall do have a large number of folks from Detroit. When I was at JSU, half the bruh's at BetaOop were from The D.

those dayum vators in Benson have always been a fool lol....shyt we use to wait for a nikka to get on that mug wait till he get about four or five floors up the kick the elevator door on the 1st floor and that bytch would stop every time. dude would be stranded for bout an hour lol

I haven't read all the posts, and somebody may have already said this but, William Benson and Simpson will be torn down within the next two to three years.

We are about to start construction on two new apartment style residence halls that will house 500 students. After they have been built, then Benson and Simpson will be razed.

Back