Alabama St notes:

Re: M/A -- 09/18/03

Originally posted by SlickPartna
Four years after the Alabama State offensive lineman first pulled No. 61 over his shoulders, Harris thought he had staked a claim to the jersey and distinguished himself in it.

Turns out No. 61 was already reserved for someone else.

Harris, a four-year starter and fifth-year senior, had to find a new number last week when Alabama State officials discovered No. 61 was retired in honor of a player from the 1970s.

"If you get your jersey retired, it should stay retired."

Harris' No. 61 was retired in honor of Willie Tyson, who played at Alabama State in the mid-1970s, while Nagel's No. 51 belongs to Larry Shaw, who played in the 1960s.

Jackson's 31 was Joe Pettis' number in the 1960s when Pettis was fatally stricken on the practice field, said Robert E. James, an ASU fan who is an unofficial historian of the athletic department.

Himmons' 93 belonged to Curtis Green, who had a nine-year NFL career after being drafted out of ASU in 1980.

How is it that they (football coaches and administration) did not know who's number was retired? And seems like tho only person who knew was an unofficial historian?

After all this other mess in the Athletic Dept and no A.D for the last errr' ...however many years, I'm the least bit surprised.

...back to the practice field --- we have a game Saturday!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Former Hog homecoming

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser
jackson.jpg

Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson returns to the state where he played two seasons for the University of Arkansas. The Hornets take on SWAC foe Arkansas-Pine Bluff today.

-- Advertiser

The University of Arkansas flags and posters still stand in Tarvaris Jackson's room.

He still has the clothes and the memories, cheers for his former team and gives a Hog call, though Jackson didn't bring a plastic Razorbacks souvenir nose when he transferred home to Alabama State University.

"It's still a part of my life," Jackson said. "I still love everybody up there."

Today, Jackson is back in the state where he spent much of the last two years. He will lead the Hornets (2-1) against Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-2) at 1:30 p.m. and hopes he will see some of his old friends tonight.

Jackson plans to catch at least part of the Arkansas Razorbacks' game with North Texas that is being played in Little Rock -- where the Hornets are staying on their trip.

"If we have enough time, I might get to watch them play," Jackson said. "But playing Arkansas-Pine Bluff is just another game to me. I'm not caught up in going back to Arkansas. We're not playing them."

Jackson left Arkansas last December, skipped out on the Razorbacks' bowl trip to Nashville, Tenn., and shipped himself home to Montgomery, where he has slid into the starting quarterback's job with the Hornets.

Three games into the season, the sophomore is more than halfway to 1,000 yards passing, is averaging almost five yards per rush and has an unmitigated hold on the Alabama State offense.

"He's leading the offense really well and I'm sure he's excited about this weekend," offensive lineman Kevin Harris said. "I'm sure there will be some people he knows at the game and he'll want to impress some folks."

Jackson left Arkansas in mid-December, saying he didn't feel the offense fit him very well and passing on a chance to go to the Music City Bowl where the Hogs played Minnesota.

"I just wanted to get away, start over and get a fresh start," Jackson said. "I didn't want anything to hold me back from spring ball.

"My mind was already made up, so I felt I should go ahead and leave."

He enrolled at Alabama State, went through spring practice and moved to the top of the depth chart in August. This season, Jackson is 35-of-72 passing for 541 yards and two interceptions. All three of his touchdowns passes have gone to Brandon Horace.

He's become a more vocal leader in the huddle and has asserted himself in directing the offense.

"We've kind of encouraged him to speak his mind," Alabama State coach Charlie Coe said. "We want him to do it in a positive way and encourage people. He may have to get on one of the guys, but he should do it in such a way that it's constructive criticism."

Jackson is still vocal in support of his former team and his room at home still has the Arkansas gear his mom decorated it with. His only concession since transferring is with his car.

"I had a Hog tag on the front of my truck," Jackson said. "I had to take it off."

Last week, Jackson passed on an early-afternoon nap before ASU's home game with Alcorn State so he could watch Arkansas play Texas. The Hornets had their regular Saturday morning pregame team meeting, and the players normally follow it with some sleep.

Jackson followed it with a short nap and some "Woo, pig, sooie," before leading the Hornets to a 49-28 win over Alcorn State. Jackson threw for 144 yards and a touchdown, and ran for 65 yards, including a 30-yard third-quarter touchdown run.

"I woke up just for the game and I was rooting for them," Jackson said of Arkansas' upset win in Austin, Texas. "I was so happy they won."

Jackson admits if the Hornets don't win today at Pine Bluff, it would make him more subdued for seeing his former teammates in Little Rock.

"I want to win the game first. I'll see my friends afterward," Jackson said.

Said Coe, "Hopefully, we'll go and win the football game. He may enjoy seeing his old teammates first, but I want him to think about Pine Bluff. He needs to concentrate all his efforts on playing a tough football team."

Arkansas-Pine Bluff has the Southwestern Athletic Conference's third-ranked defense after giving up 381 yards in a 42-28 loss last week to Division II Central Arkansas. Alabama State is the SWAC's No. 4 offense.

"It will feel good if we go back there and win," Jackson said. "I may get to see some old friends, but the biggest thing is winning the game."

Winn's the sniper of ASU's defense

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser
winn.jpg

Alabama State's Marcus Winn, right, has been receiving attention from a number of NFL scouts. Winn already has 27 tackles and five sacks this season.

-- Advertiser

The collar on Marcus Winn's shirt sits at attention and the creases line up in all the right directions.

Winn smiles easily, speaks softly and laughs often. Jokes about him aren't off-limits. He answers any questions, but cautions he will have to leave soon for a class.

Winn is a mild-mannered bastion of politeness whose football exploits contradict that personality ... almost completely.

"Winn is the ultimate killer," ASU linebacker Ronald "Rock" Dillon said, handing out a hard core football compliment.

"He's like a sniper. He stays quiet and you don't know where he is. Then, when you look up, he's got 12 or 14 tackles."

Winn is the favorite star of NFL scouts' film study and will play both linebacker and defensive back when the Hornets (2-1) play at Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-2) this afternoon.

He's also the one whose clothes iron is often used, who sometimes has to be asked to repeat himself and who is taking a class in dance and gymnastics.

He's a preppy trapped in a football player's body.

"Those are the ones you have to be afraid of," defensive lineman Timothy Parham said. "They'll attack you first."

The NFL scouts started dropping by and asking about Winn last spring. He's not sure which scout came first, but remembers his lack of nerves that day when he walked across campus to meet them.

The scout was either from Tampa Bay or Dallas, but those teams weren't the last. Winn can list six other teams that have dropped by since.

"I was in my room and I knew they were down there watching film and talking about me," Winn said. "They called and said they wanted to talk to me.

"Playing in the NFL is something I want to do, so I wasn't nervous. I just went down there like I always do."

He's been asked to evaluate his own play, watch himself on film, take intelligence tests and squirm through mental evaluations as NFL teams evaluate whether they should spend a precious draft pick on him.

"They talk to me a lot, but I'm staying focused on this team," Winn said. "I'll let that take care of itself."

Three games into Alabama State's season and Winn has 27 tackles and five sacks. He had 12 tackles and two sacks in last week's win over Alcorn State, but said it was because Alcorn ran toward him more often and his coaches blitzed him more.

"Trust me, he definitely likes to blitz," ASU assistant coach Rock Roggeman said. "He likes hitting people and playing hard. That's just his personality."

Said defensive coordinator Tony Pierce, "Winn is one of those guys we're going to blitz, but I can't say exactly when. We want to keep it a surprise."

Winn's next emotional outburst will be startling enough. The 6-foot-2 cold-blooded "sniper" stays out of the Hornets' practice spats and doesn't cajole his teammates with spirited speeches.

He doesn't even get worked up when his weight is listed incorrectly at 195 pounds. Try 225.

"Some people talk and perform. Some are quiet and perform," Parham said. "He concentrates on and off the field, and we all need to be like that.

"His level of concentration is always there. You can just look in his eyes.

Questioning of ASU'S Solutions to Internal Problems

ASU's internal investigation missed cause of problem

By Josh Moon

If ever there were any doubts about the validity, or lack thereof, of Alabama State's internal investigation into its football program, those doubts vanished for me last week.

They vanished when I opened a letter from ASU attorney Solomon Seay.

Inside, I found a typed note on Seay's letterhead.

"Mr. Moon," it read, "Here is an article I thought even you might find interesting."

Attached to the note was a copy of a column written by Joe Biddle of the Tennessean newspaper, in Nashville.

The gist of Biddle's column was that L.C. and Johnnie Cole shouldn't be allowed to coach again in the NCAA because of all the trouble they've caused.

Biddle cited the NCAA charges that hit Tennessee State while the Coles were coaching there and the charges everyone assumes are coming for ASU.

There was one major problem with Biddle's column.

He found the Coles guilty at ASU solely on the basis of an Associated Press story of July 22. That AP story was written primarily from the press release that ASU officials sent to the AP.

The release claimed ASU's football program under Cole was "almost totally out of control" and listed violations uncovered by the internal investigation.

What Biddle and the AP didn't report is that serious problems within the ASU athletic department led to several of the violations listed in that press release.

Most of those problems stemmed from deficiencies in the university's compliance office.

It's not the Coles the NCAA should exile -- it's ASU compliance officers Robert Whitfield and John Ivery.

It has already been determined that Ivery and Whitfield made grievous mistakes concerning student-athletes' eligibility -- mistakes that caused the ASU basketball and softball programs to forfeit several games from last season. Mistakes that may have derailed student-athletes' careers.

It's noteworthy that most allegations against the football program also stem from compliance issues.

The Coles allege the university is trying to make them the fall guys in an attempt to hide more serious problems in the athletic department. Their argument gains credence when you consider that Whitfield and Ivery are still employed by ASU.

Ivery is far away from anything to do with compliance -- he is a teacher. But Whitfield, as the associate athletic director in charge of student services, is still registering student-athletes for classes. It was on his watch that the improper registration of former basketball players George West and Lamar Clark resulted in their being declared ineligible and games being forfeited.

West and Clark aren't registered for any hours now. Whitfield's gaffe likely has cost West his college career, and Clark is at home in Prichard, desperately searching for a school that will let him play ball.

Another oversight by Whitfield and Ivery allowed an ineligible softball player to play for the entire season. That resulted in the ASU softball team forfeiting 21 of 22 victories last year.

But these men are still working for the university.

In the meantime, the Coles are fighting to get their jobs back and at least one newspaper columnist in Tennessee thinks they're the most crooked coaches in football.

So, yes, Mr. Seay, I did find the column very interesting.

But the story behind it is more than interesting. It's alarming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh Moon can be reached by e-mail.

Re: Questioning of ASU'S Solutions to Internal Problems

Originally posted by hornetboy01
Yes, Mr. Seay, I did find the column very interesting.
But the story behind it is more than interesting. It's alarming.

Get 'em Josh!!! :lmao:

M/A -- 09.21.03

Winn preserves win for visiting Hornets

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

PINE BLUFF, Ark. -- Marcus Winn stood in the middle of the field, far away from the stands and tried to mumble his way out of a starring role.

Winn made a feeble postgame attempt to keep his name out of the headlines and downplay how he helped Alabama State preserve a 24-22 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday.

"I just felt I had to step up," Winn said.

Winn made two defensive plays in the final minutes to seal the Hornets' victory in front of an announced crowd of 2,700 at Golden Lion Stadium.

Then, the senior -- with a mighty ho-hum -- tried to treat it like nothing special and turn into a publicity-averse pumpkin.

Nice try.

"His name signifies how he plays. He's a winner," ASU assistant coach Rock Roggeman said. "Big players make big plays and he always seems to show up.

"If a big play is to be made, 22 is usually around."

Winn sacked Arkansas-Pine Bluff quarterback John Pierce on a two-point conversion with 3:05 left and intercepted a Pierce pass with one minute to play.

"We took this team too lightly," Winn said. "We've got to get back to the way we're supposed to play football."

"I don't think we played well at all, but we have to be satisfied with the W."

With Alabama State (3-1) ahead 24-10, the Lions (1-3) rallied for two late touchdowns, but a flubbed extra point and Winn's two plays kept the Hornets ahead.

Pierce threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to Cary Washington with 7:12 to play to make it 24-16, but Michael Sellars missed the extra point.

After the Hornets punted, the Lions scored with 3:05 left when Pierce threw screen pass to Cedric Bowen and Bowen raced 44 yards to the end zone.

On the two-point conversion, Winn took down Pierce to preserve ASU's lead.

"We both blitzed and the back picked me up," linebacker Ronald "Rock" Dillon said. "They didn't pick up Winn and he met the guy in the backfield."

Arkansas-Pine Bluff got the ball back with 1:29 left, but Winn ended the threat when he intercepted a Pierce pass on second down.

Two snaps later, the Hornets celebrated their win.

"I knew this was going to be a dogfight," Alabama State coach Charlie Coe said. "We have to win close games and we won a close game today."

Tarvaris Jackson threw for a touchdown and ran for another as Alabama State built a 24-10 lead early in the fourth quarter.

But, while Pine Bluff rallied, the Hornets couldn't clinch the game with their offense.

In its three possessions between Jackson's 33-yard touchdown run with 11:58 to play and Winn's interception, Alabama State managed only one first down.

"It was a win," receiver Chad Lucas said. "I don't know what to think about Pine Bluff, but they play us tough every year. Maybe we underestimated them a little."

============

daSource

M/A -- 09.21.03

Jackson impresses in return to Arkansas

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

PINE BLUFF, Ark. -- Tarvaris Jackson headed out to see his former team play, smiling and bragging about his new one.

The Alabama State quarterback, a transfer from Arkansas, had planned to see his former team play Saturday night. But first, he led the Hornets to a 24-22 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

"He wanted to let everybody here know that Tarvaris Jackson is back," defensive end Mario Lane said.

Jackson ran for one touchdown, threw for another score and planned to see the Arkansas Razorbacks play Saturday night in Little Rock.

Jackson, who transferred to Alabama State from Arkansas last winter, finished with 109 yards rushing on 11 carries.

"We don't leave until tomorrow and I hope I get to see my friends tonight," Jackson said. "It would have been a long stay if we had lost."

Jackson's Arkansas return almost became a personal show.

The Hornets finished with 356 yards of offense, 203 directly from Jackson. Tailback Keldrick Williams finished with 98 yards rushing and a touchdown, while Robert Randolph had 48 yards rushing.

"I ran the ball a lot, but I also threw a lot of interceptions," said Jackson, who had two interceptions, including one that set up a field goal for the Lions.

"We all ran the ball well; Keldrick, (Randolph), everybody."

Jackson threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jones halfway through the second quarter and had a 33-yard touchdown run early in the fourth to give ASU a 24-10 lead.

This year, Jackson has four touchdown passes and two touchdown runs.

"He's a beast out there," Jones said. "He's running this offense pretty good. I dropped a couple of passes early, and I'm just glad he had faith in me."

Jackson left two Pine Bluff defenders questioning their faith on his fourth-quarter touchdown run.

Jackson, a Montgomery native, faked a handoff to Williams, ran to the right, juked the two Lions and ran to the end zone.

"Those are all Montgomery moves," said center Cary Nagel, who is from the state of Washington. "We don't have moves like that in the Northwest."
==================

daSource

M/A -- 09.21.03

Hornets' freshman kicker stays hot in victory

PINE BLUFF, Ark. -- A first-quarter field goal and three extra points Saturday left Alabama State kicker Anthony Johnson perfect on the season.

The freshman helped the Hornets beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 24-22, but said he was more proud of a tackle to start the second half.

Johnson took down Pine Bluff's Cedric Bowen after Bowen returned a kickoff 48 yards. Johnson may have saved a touchdown.

"One good hit and it was over," Johnson said. "I busted him up."

Johnson is 4-of-4 on field goals this year and has yet to miss an extra point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Budding quarterback: Alabama State punter Jason Bothwell had his first pass attempt Saturday when the Hornets attempted a fake punt on the first play of the fourth quarter.

He threw incomplete, but said he could be a quarterback ... if he had the practice.

"I'm going to take a couple of snaps at practice and see what happens," Bothwell joked. "It's something I'm going to work on."

In the lineup: Ravon Butler, a senior from Garland, Texas, started at free safety for the Hornets. It was Butler's first start of the season.

First-string safety Jamaal Fletcher has not played since hurting a knee against Bethune-Cookman.

Again, no SWAC: Saturday's game does not count in the Southwestern Athletic Conference standings, though it involved two SWAC teams.

Alabama State plays all nine SWAC opponents, but only seven count toward the SWAC race. The Hornets' home game Nov. 8 with Grambling State also won't count.

==============

daSource

M/A -- 09.23.03

Hornets focus on special teams

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

The kickoff trickled into the end zone and Alabama State's return man just watched.

The ball bounced again and showed it wasn't going to bounce out of bounds before the Hornets recovered it and signaled for a touchback, but the kickoff wasn't too far from being recovered for a touchdown by Arkansas-Pine Bluff in ASU's 24-22 win Saturday.

Four games into the season, Alabama State is one missed official's call from being unbeaten, but it also helped the loss with another special teams gaffe.

The Hornets (3-1, 1-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference) travel to Southern (3-0, 1-0) on Saturday and can preach about two mistakes on special teams.

"These are things we have to keep emphasizing to our football team," Alabama State coach Charlie Coe said Monday. "We have to make sure they understand the rules."

Against Bethune-Cookman, Alabama State had an extra point blocked. Several Hornets stopped when Bethune's Nick Collins recovered the ball, then watched when Collins ran 100 yards for a defensive two-point conversion.

Richard Rowe, who was hurting from a pulled groin, didn't immediately cover the kickoff Saturday at Arkansas-Pine Bluff. The Hornets led 24-10 early in the fourth quarter before the Lions almost tied it.

Awards: The SWAC named Alabama State's Ronald "Rock" Dillon its Defensive Player of the Week on Monday after Dillon's 12-tackle performance at Pine Bluff.

The SWAC also picked Alabama State punter Jason Bothwell as its Newcomer of the Week after Bothwell averaged 41.4 yards on five punts.

It's the second straight week an ASU linebacker has been named the league's top defensive player. Whip linebacker Marcus Winn made 12 tackles against Alcorn State.

On Saturday, Winn made two defensive plays that helped save the game. He sacked UAPB quarterback John Pierce on a two-point conversion with 3:05 to play to preserve the 24-22 lead, then had an interception with a minute to go to seal the win.

Dillon has 44 tackles and leads the SWAC, while Winn and middle linebacker Amster Fertil are part of a four-way tie for second with 34.

Injuries: Free safety Jamaal Fletcher is expected to return this week after missing two games with an injured knee. Ravon Butler, who normally plays cornerback, started in Fletcher's place against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

"He moved around pretty good last week, but we didn't think he could go," ASU defensive backs coach Grady Brown said. "We'll get him back, we can move Butler back to corner, which is his true position."

Butler was Alabama State's third-leading tackler Saturday with seven. He followed Dillon and Fertil (10).

"He did a good job out there, but he also made some mistakes," defensive coordinator Tony Pierce said. "We wanted him on the field, so we had to put up with the mistakes because he's not used to being out there at safety."

===============

daSource

Re: Re: M/A -- 09.21.03

Originally posted by mighty hornet
:lol::lol:

Kickers say some funny stuff.

:emlaugh:

"I busted him up"

Man sit your tail down and kick the ball!!

:lmao:

M/A -- 09.27.03 (Gameday)

Dancing machine

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

lane.jpg

The upperclassman called for the freshmen to entertain them and asked for volunteers to be the jesters in their court.

It was a little freshman orientation/initiation, without the forced labor or humiliation, and a way to break the monotony and lighten the mood of Alabama State's preseason football practices.

Mario Lane heard the call and pulled out his dance card, cued his music and tried to do his Beyonce Knowles bootylicious best.

"We asked if anybody wanted to dance and he said, 'I'll do it,'" junior defensive lineman Jimmy Parham said. "He wanted to be out there."

It didn't take long for the rest of the Hornets to appraise Lane's talent.

Lane mixed in some quirky moves and odd beats, leaving his new teammates amazed ... and aghast.

"He needs some work on his dancing," senior linebacker Marcus Winn said.

"He probably needs to stick with football."

Twinkle Toes Lane may have been a dancing dunce, but he's made a quick impact on the field for Alabama State, worked his way into the starting lineup and left jaws dropping at the progress he's made.

Tonight, when the Hornets play at Southern, Lane will be the only true freshman -- outside of kicker -- who will start for Alabama State.

"I'm getting a little playing time, which is something I thought I could do this year," said Lane, who has 11 tackles from defensive end.

"I had the mindset that I'd play a lot."

The talk started in the summer when Lane and ASU assistant coach Rock Roggeman talked, and Roggeman told Lane the potential was there for him to see immediate playing time.

A five-minute dance in front of his team and a three-week training camp with the Hornets earned both their respect and his spot.

He didn't start the season opener, but played for the first time on ASU's second defensive series. Lane made a solo tackle on his first play.

"I knew he had the talent, but I didn't know if he'd be able to pick everything up. But he's learned fast," Roggeman said. "His work ethic and willingness to learn have gotten him playing time. That combined with his natural talent.

"But he knows he can get better."

Lane was Alabama State's top-rated recruit when he reported to camp in August.

Lane had committed to Alabama when he was a senior at G.W. Carver High, but said he decided against the Crimson Tide when its new coaching staff told him he would play tight end.

"I like hitting people too much. I don't want to get hit," Lane said of his preference for defense. "In the long run, they may try to put me on the offensive line, but I can't see myself doing it."

The second week of practice an offensive lineman rang his bell -- "They called it my welcome to the SWAC," Lane says. In the third week, Lane had finished his dance audition and been accepted.

"You know how it takes a while to fit in? To get used to the intensity level?" Parham said. "It didn't with him. He came in and fit right in."

Lane said he's used a rumor falsely spread about him when he was in high school as motivation in his first year at ASU.

"I had people saying I was lazy, that I take plays off," Lane said. "It's called hating; people hating on me. I'm trying to prove to people that I'm not lazy."

Any La-Z-Boy reputation apparently didn't follow him, Roggeman said, and his fellow defensive linemen have even honored him, though not for his dancing.

They readily gave him membership in the Nasty Boys, a nickname the defensive line has for itself.

"We didn't give him anything. He earned it," said Parham, who starts next to Lane.

"There was big talk about him before he came, and there's still big talk about him now."

=============

daSource

ASU kickers have their mojo working

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

Jason Bothwell's foot sleeve is to keep his right foot feeling fine for another punt. The string on Anthony Johnson's right arm is merely ornamental.

Alabama State's punter and place-kicker have extra clothing that acts as a lightning rod of motivation and concentration.

"That's like our mojo," Bothwell said.

Yeah, baby.

Don't look now, but Alabama State's kicking game -- the part of the team least expected to do anything -- is a major reason the Hornets are 3-1 heading into tonight's game at Southern.

In Bothwell and his protected foot, the Hornets have the Southwestern Athletic Conference's top punter a year after their four-time All-SWAC punter graduated.

In Johnson, with his stringed-out arm, the Hornets have a place-kicker who actually makes kicks. Johnson is the fourth ASU kicker in four years.

"I wasn't feeling real great about the kicking game before the season," ASU coach Charlie Coe said. "They weren't striking the ball well and I wasn't that confident in it.

"But both of those guys are playing super. The kicking game has come along pretty good."

Bothwell, who first donned his sleeve the week of ASU's season opener, is averaging more than 38 yards per kick and the Hornets are No. 1 in the SWAC in net punting.

Johnson is 4-of-4 on field goals, though none has been longer than 32 yards, and 17-of-18 on extra points. The miss was a block.

"A block shouldn't count against you, but they do in college," Johnson said.

Johnson was at Baldwin County High last year and playing soccer and football when Alabama State assistant coach Daryl Williams started recruiting him.

With fresh memories of missed field goals and close losses, Williams settled on Johnson.

"I knew we needed help in the kicking game," Williams said. "I knew he'd do well, but I didn't know it would come this quickly."

Johnson said a dad-enforced summer kicking program got him ready for Alabama State. Two pine trees in his yard acted as uprights and Johnson kicked 100 balls per day.

"I'm glad he did it because I'd have been too lazy," said Johnson, whose arm decoration was a gift from a friend.

He's worn it for nine months, leaving it on for even showers. Because of it, he's been nicknamed Ultimate Warrior, Rambo and even Rocky Balboa.

"When I first got it, it was loose," Johnson said. "I know I've gained some weight because now it's tight."

Johnson beat fellow freshman Josh King in preseason practice -- though Bothwell said both "never miss" -- and made his first kick in ASU's first game.

Playing in front of a crowd of almost 55,000 in Detroit, Johnson's 21-yard kick capped the Hornets' 38-22 win over Florida AM.

"In Detroit, he played in front of more people than have ever watched him play, and he made the kick," ASU assistant George Copeland said. "He's done a real good job."

Bothwell was a regular student at Alabama State last year and watched David Beckford cap an all-star career before joining the team.

The junior has so far fallen short of his goal -- to match Beckford's 43.9-yard average from last year -- but he has exceeded his coaches' expectations.

"I've proven a lot of people wrong, but in the same sense, I didn't feel I had a lot to prove," Bothwell said. "It's not a contest between me and him; I just happened to come behind him. I just wanted to do my best."

=================

daSource

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Southern's motion turns ASU coordinator's stomach

The shifting will start on the field with Southern's offense and move to Tony Pierce's stomach.

The Alabama State defensive coordinator is dreading the motions and commotions the Jaguars (3-0, 1-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference) will throw at the Hornets (3-1, 1-0) tonight.

"They're going to show more motion than we've seen this year," Pierce said. "It may confuse us. I can't say it won't."

A two-tight end set can easily turn into a spread offense (or vice versa) and leave Alabama State scrambling to cover it.

The Hornets got a small taste of it last week at Arkansas-Pine Bluff. On one play, linebacker Ronald "Rock" Dillon lined up across from a tight end and soon had to play running back.

Dillon broke up a pass in the end zone.

"We may have our guys just get out there and play ball," said Pierce, who estimated Southern uses motion about "97 percent of the time."

"You should ask me, 'When don't they use motion?'"

Lenny a target: ASU passing game coordinator Daryl Williams said the Hornets won't shy away from Southern's top defensive player.

Defensive back Lenny Williams is a three-time All-SWAC player and was named the league's top defensive player this summer.

"We might test him once or twice," Williams said. "He's a pretty good football player and we'll have an eye on him. With a player like that, you have to give him his respect and praise."

The two-time All-American made 72 tackles and intercepted six passes last year. Williams has 17 tackles, but no interceptions through three games as a senior.

"I'll be glad to see him go," ASU running game coordinator Chris Kapilovic said.

Searching for sacks: Southern has allowed only one sack in three games and quarterback Quincy Richard is the No. 2 passer in the SWAC.

Blitz-happy Alabama State has made 18 sacks in four games.

"Not many people can get to him," Pierce said. "He sits back there with the ball and laughs at everybody. You may find us backing off."

Homecoming: Today's game features the SWAC East and West leaders, plus the top two scoring teams in the league. It's also Southern University's homecoming.

Alabama State was a prime homecoming candidate when SWAC coaches picked the Hornets to finish last in the SWAC East.

-- Compiled by A. Stacy Long

=========================

daSource

ASU hires football operations director

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

Timmy Parham would like to interrupt Steve Rogers' paperwork for a few minutes.

The Alabama State defensive lineman wants Rogers, a former Alabama State basketball star who is the football program's newest employee, on a basketball court for a 1-on-1 session, complete with drives, dribbles and -- if the goal is low enough -- dunks.

"I don't think he wants any of me, but I heard he was a man (on the court)," Parham said Monday. "I think I can take him."

Rogers is ASU's newly hired director of football operations and will handle almost all of the off-the-field matters surrounding the program.

The 35-year-old played basketball at Alabama State from 1989-92 and was the Black College Player of the Year in 1992. After a 10-year professional career overseas, the former guard returned to ASU to finish his degree in physical education.

"This job is about organization and getting things done," Rogers said. "I'm learning on the job as we speak."

Rogers will organize the team's itinerary for road trips, including dealing out per diem expenses, deal with the academic officials at the school and keep track of player participation paperwork.

"He's willing to do it and I know he'll do a good job," ASU coach Charlie Coe said. "It will take a load off me."

Coe had handled the job, plus his on-the-field duties, since coming to the school in early August. Coe had missed parts of some practices -- and all of at least one -- because he was dealing with eligibility paperwork normally handled by a director of football operations.

"He (Rogers) will help out a lot," ASU passing game coordinator Daryl Williams said. "It takes a load off us coaches, so we can concentrate more on football instead of administrative stuff.

"Now that we have a director of football operations, Coach Coe is becoming more involved in the total offense and he's had a lot of good things to say."

Rogers played pro ball in five different countries until retiring in January and returning to Montgomery.

Rogers, who was a volunteer coach on the Sidney Lanier High girls basketball team last winter, played for six years in Turkey for a team named Tofas and won two championships. He also played in Italy, Greece, France and Argentina.

He's fluent in Turkish -- and the Turkish word for dunk is smac (sounds like smash). Consider Parham warned.

"No, he probably could take me," Rogers said. "I still play some pick-up ball, but I'm an old man now."
:tup:

During his playing days, Steve was the absolute truth!!

M/A -- 10.04.03

Phenomenal Phenom

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

horace.jpg

Brandon Horace doesn't shy away from the nickname, revels in it and draws inspiration from it.

Being called "Phenom" has its responsibilities.

"It's a challenge," the Alabama State receiver says. "Before I even step on the field, I think of that name and try to live up to it and try to be a phenom."

With a leaper's touch and ladder-like height, Horace has turned into a touchdown terror for the Hornets, who play at Jackson State next Saturday.

Despite having a personal streak broken two games ago, the 6-foot-3 sophomore has been a scoring highlight with three of ASU's four touchdown catches this year.

"When we get close to the end zone, everybody knows the fade is coming and we're going to throw it to him," Alabama State receivers coach Derrick Jackson said. "Everybody knows it, and he always finds a way to make a play on it.

"He just finds a way to get up and come down with the ball."

Jackson has coached Horace since the two were at Robert E. Lee High and Jackson presided over a streak Horace admits he already misses.

From his junior year until Alabama State's win two weeks ago at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Horace had a 23-game streak with at least one catch.

He even had a six-game touchdown streak until playing at Pine Bluff -- not that he's counting or anything.

"I'm anxious to get those started again," Horace said. "I had my chances, but one pass was picked off, one was overthrown and pass interference was called on the other."

Horace, who had two catches for 30 yards (but no touchdowns) in Alabama State's loss at Southern last weekend, may find it more difficult as the Hornets' season wears on.

With his early success, teams are starting to make sure to identify Horace when Alabama State gets close to the end zone.

"He's tall and when we get to the goal line, he's matched up with smaller defensive backs," ASU quarterback Tarvaris Jackson said. "We have an advantage over there and we want to take advantage of it."

Also, as the season wears on, Horace is trying to catch up for some summertime absences in the weight room.

Horace lifted some, but not as much as other Hornets, and he said he's just now feeling comfortable with his strength.

He was no phenom in the weight room.

"If I would have been in there as much as I was supposed to be, I wouldn't be getting pushed around as much or the DBs couldn't hold me," Horace said.

"Going into the Southern game, I felt real good, so I know it's kicking in right now," he said. "These games coming up are the hardest part of the season because they're all SWAC games.

"We have to be on point if we want to play for the SWAC championship."

Alabama State plays SWAC Eastern Division contenders Jackson State and Alabama AM this month with lightweight Prairie View in between. Horace, all 185 pounds of him, will be trying to push his way in the end zone for all three.

"Brandon is doing a good job out there, but he's got to get physically stronger," ASU coach Charlie Coe said. "All of these guys do. Some of these guys are finding out you can't just line up and run out there."

Horace's barbell needs will end what he and Jackson say is the biggest reason for his fade-route success -- his basketball career.

Horace likens catching the fade to grabbing a rebound, but he won't get any practice this winter in intramurals.

"His (derriere) is going to be in the weight room," Jackson said.

Said Horace, "I've got to get in there and get my work done."
=================

daSource

Hornet linebacker spending off week in batting cage

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

Classes were just starting and Quenton Urquhart happened upon a fresh walk-on to the Alabama State football program.

Urquhart noted the less-than-imposing size of the hopeful Hornet and wondered: "Why am I not out there?"

"Something just told me to give it another shot," Urquhart said. "I came back out and I'm still here."

After ignoring pleas that he return to the program through the summer, Urquhart decided to return to the team and now ASU coaches are promising the Montgomery native that he will get major playing time soon.

He's converted from safety to linebacker and tried to catch up for all the preseason practice he's missed while keeping up with his baseball responsibilities.

"It's tough, but that's what I want to do, so I can't complain," Urquhart said.

When his football teammates enjoy their regular off day Monday, Urquhart has to go to baseball practice. When the Hornets started their off weekend Friday with an afternoon nap, Urquhart planned to be in the batting cage.

Where his football teammates have regular 2 p.m. meetings through the week, Urquhart starts early with a round of batting practice.

"A lot of the things we see from him are the same in baseball," ASU defensive coordinator Tony Pierce said. "He has excellent agility, speed and hand-eye coordination.

"He's quick and he's a pretty intelligent kid. When I first saw him, I was like, 'Man, come on out.'"

Urquhart gave up football last year, decided to concentrate on baseball and hope to be like his brother and play professional baseball.

The Montreal Expos drafted Adrian Urquhart in the 25th round of the 2002 draft, but released him after one season.

While not giving up on his baseball dream or his baseball scholarship, Quenton Urquhart elected to try on his shoulder pads again. He got the blessing of baseball coach Larry Watkins and headed to the gridiron.

"College football is exciting," Urquhart said. "I wanted to experience it myself."

Technically a walk-on, Urquhart played part of the second half of ASU's loss at Southern last week, but did not make a tackle.

Pierce said he didn't call for complicated defenses with Urquhart in the game so the sophomore could acclimate himself without confusion.

"I'm just now pretty much figuring out the system," said Urquhart, who played safety at Catholic High. "This is like a whole new game to me.

"Linebacker is a lot different from safety. At safety, your first move is to step backwards. At linebacker, that's not always so."

Urquhart's experiences will give him fresh stories to tell a friend who's now in the NFL.

Milford Brown graduated from G.W. Carver High, played at Florida State and is on the Houston Texans' offensive line. He's the team's starting left guard.

"When he came out of high school, he wasn't talked about or anything," said Urquhart, who is following a similar, if smaller path at Alabama State.

"He went from nothing to something real fast."

=============

daSource

Be firm.

ASU suspends three players

Alabama State has suspended three players, including two starters, indefinitely for what coach Charlie Coe said were violations of team rules.

Tight end Greg Jones, defensive back Renardrick Phillips and middle linebacker Amster Fertil won't play Saturday when the Hornets travel to Jackson State.

"They're out this week and probably next week," Coe said.

He said the violations did not involve criminal activity.

Jones and Fertil have started every game this year for the Hornets (3-2, 1-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference).

Jones, a senior from West Palm Beach, Fla., has caught five passes for 37 yards and a touchdown.

Fertil, a sophomore from Fort Lauderdale, was a walk-on when preseason camp started, but worked his way into the lineup. He ranks third on the team with 37 tackles, including 11 in his first college game.

Phillips is a freshman from Madison, Fla., who has made seven tackles this year.

Clifton Cotton will start at tight end this week, ASU tight ends coach Jack Bush said. Cotton is a freshman from Madison, Miss., which is a suburb of Jackson -- the site of this week's game.

ASU defensive coordinator Tony Pierce said he expected sophomore Billy Greshman, a Montgomery native, to start at middle linebacker in Fertil's place. Pierce also said junior Rico Jackson and freshman Ryan Farness could play.

The Hornets and Tigers (2-4, 2-0 SWAC) kick off at 6 p.m. Saturday at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

-- A. Stacy Long

Alabama State moves to top of the Eastern Division

Hornets triumph on road
By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

JACKSON, Miss. -- The smooth, easy taste of a blowout was too sour. On the cusp of gorging itself with a rout, the Alabama State football team instead found itself defending against a potential game-tying drive.

On the brink of being able to settle back and relax, the Hornets instead found themselves in more gripping reality.

Alabama State 27, Jackson State 20 may have lifted the Hornets to the top of the Southwestern Athletic Conference's Eastern Division standings, but the Hornets almost had it so much easier Saturday at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"I've told these guys that there's going to be one time that (20) points is not enough," ASU coach Charlie Coe said.

More here: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/StorySportswj12asugamer.htm

M/A -- 10.18.03 (GAMEDAY!)

Just in the Nick of time

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

forston.jpg

The play clock was running down and the Alabama State Hornets were close to the goal line.

Nick Forston glanced over his right shoulder as he quickly jogged to the line to take the snap.

The quarterback was almost under center when he noticed one small problem that he soon hoped everyone else missed.

Forston was about to line up under the right guard.

"I haven't done that since Pop Warner," Forston said. "I noticed the number was wrong and moved over. I didn't think it was noticeable."

The near faux pas was a humorous moment in the Hornets' loss at Southern that Forston would just as soon forget.

"I've heard a couple of chuckles here and there," Forston said. "It was one of America's funniest home videos in here. I'm pretty sure the offensive linemen ran it back a couple of times."

Forston can still laugh about it three weeks later with the Hornets getting ready for Saturday's game at Cramton Bowl with Prairie View AM.

The junior is ASU's backup quarterback and, with starter Tarvaris Jackson still slightly slowed with what he says is an ankle injury, Forston could see a lot of playing time Saturday.

"I help him and he helps me. We're teammates," said Jackson, who beat Forston for the starting job during preseason practice.

"He pushed me this summer and I had to get better. It was real close."

Forston has practiced with the first-team offense much of the last two weeks while Jackson recovers from the injury he suffered at Southern.

"It would be good to see Nick get in and do well, and if he gets in, I see him doing well," ASU quarterbacks coach Daryl Williams said. "He's always one play away from going in."

Forston was a short drive from the Pacific Ocean when his junior college coach called him almost two years ago and said a college coach wanted to see him.

The San Diego native was getting calls from places like Northern Illinois, Buffalo and Delaware State when his coach beckoned him.

"He said Alabama was here to see me," Forston said. "I was there like (snaps his fingers). I thought it was the Crimson Tide."

The coach was then-ASU offensive coordinator Johnnie Cole, who told Forston about the Hornets' HOBO offense, which was similar to what Forston had run in junior college.

"I was like, 'Alabama State? Who's Alabama State?'" Forston said. "We laughed and he showed me his rings.

"He said, 'We need you.' I was on a plane the next day."

Forston's first year was rocky. He was kicked off the team and didn't play for reasons he won't talk about. Forston spent last fall at home in San Diego and returned to Montgomery in January.

This fall, he's already complaining about the "cold" weather. Though receiver Chad Lucas has informed him that it's not yet near as cold as it will get, Forston has sneaked one trip home.

When the Hornets had an off weekend, Forston told his sister to leave a key under the doormat. He jumped on a plane that Thursday night without telling his parents he was coming.

After a five-hour flight ("plus layover"), Forston was a 6-foot-1 surprise asleep on the couch the next morning.

"My dad came out and shook me," Forston said. "He said, 'What are you doing here?'"

It sounds like the play at Southern, right guard and all.

"Everybody has their bloopers," right guard Antonio Bradford said. "It kind of just happened, but everybody makes mistakes. We know when it comes down to it, he'll be all right."

=================

daSource

M/A -- 10.18.03 (GAMEDAY!)

Carter, Holmes pave way
for league-leading rush attack

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

Keldrick Williams' decision was too tough to make, leaving the Alabama State tailback silent when asked about his team's fullbacks.

Asked to choose between Lee Carter and Justin Holmes, Williams gritted his teeth and acted like he was judging two of his best friends.

"Both of those guys get it done," Williams said.

In a way, Carter and Holmes are best friends to tailbacks Williams and Robert Randolph, clearing holes for the Southwestern Athletic Conference's top rushing attack.

"I need to give them a hug if they're doing that," ASU head coach Charlie Coe said. "One disadvantage of being a head coach is you may not get a chance to see as much tape as you'd like.

"You have to lean heavily on your assistants to let you know who needs to be recognized."

Where Randolph and Williams pile up the syrup and butter of high yardage and touchdowns, Carter and Holmes get the pancake blocks.

"Fullback is a humbling position because you're still very eager to carry the ball," Holmes said. "But football is a team sport, unlike basketball and unlike baseball where every player gets a chance at some glory.

"As fullbacks, we're there to help the other guys get the yards and help all of us win."

In six games, the two have carried the ball a combined 16 times for 55 yards and 36 of those yards were by Holmes in the opener.

Last week, neither fullback carried the ball, but a block party by the two led the Hornets to a season-best 264 yards rushing.

"They just go out and do their thing," ASU running backs coach Sadiki Johnson said. "Both are equally matched when it comes to blocking."

Randolph finished with 108 yards on 14 carries, while Williams carried 12 times for 69 yards. Holmes and Carter drew a cloak of anonymity.

"It's hard for me to tell how they're doing when I'm in the game, but from the sideline they were doing great," Williams said.

Alabama State averages 204 yards rushing per game and has three who rank among the Top 10 runners in the SWAC.

Both fullbacks wish they could get their hands on the ball more.

What player doesn't?

They get their hands on an opponent instead.

"Blocking is what they want us to do and we're going to do our best," said Holmes, a 250-pound junior from Scottsdale, Ariz. Carter is a 220-pound sophomore from Atlanta.

"Each of the 11 players on offense has a role to play," Holmes said. "If you don't do your role, everybody fails. You have to take pride in it."

==============

daSource

GAMEDAY NOTEBOOK

NOTEBOOK
Punter finds out he's a senior, not a junior

lee.jpg

Alabama State punter Jason Bothwell found out this week that his first year of college football will also be his last.

Bothwell is listed as a junior on the Hornets' roster.

He's a senior academically and said he found out this week that his eligibility ends after this year. He also chose to look at the benefits -- like at team meals -- rather than fret his changed status.

"This means I get to eat first," Bothwell said.

Bothwell replaced four-time All-Southwestern Athletic Conference punter David Beckford this year and is leading the league.

A normal student at ASU the last three years, Bothwell said he did not meet NCAA football eligibility standards when he entered college and lost a year.

Bothwell averages 38.3 yards per punt and has placed nine of his 27 punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line.

"I'm going to the (NFL) combine," Bothwell said, "but if you know anybody in Canada or Europe that needs a punter, tell them to call me."

Injuries: Four possible Alabama State starters nursed injuries this week in hopes of playing Saturday against Prairie View AM.

The most serious may have been to defensive end Mario Lane. The freshman said he hurt his left shoulder in last week's win at Jackson State.

Lane did not practice Tuesday and was limited Wednesday, but said it was "possible" he would play Saturday.

Linebacker Ronald "Rock" Dillon hurt his right shoulder at practice Tuesday, but returned Wednesday, while running back Robert Randolph had a leg injury.

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson is still showing the effects of an injury he suffered two weeks ago at Southern. Jackson said it is an ankle.

Last in SWAC: Prairie View is last in rushing defense (277.3 yards per game) and total defense (528.2 yards).

Ala. State notes: Winning without Coe

Alabama State wins without Coe
By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

The decision came early Saturday afternoon and left Tony Pierce in charge of the Alabama State football team because its head coach was in the hospital.

Pierce, ASU's defensive coordinator, was the Hornets' acting coach for Saturday night's win over woeful Prairie View AM.

With head coach Charlie Coe in Jackson Hospital after complaining of chest pains Friday, Pierce found himself leading the Hornets' 59-7 rout at Cramton Bowl.

"The offense did what it does, the defense did what it does, and I stayed the heck out of the way," Pierce said.

"I was there in case something came up. It's a good thing nothing came up."

Coe, 54, said he started experiencing chest pains Friday afternoon and went to the hospital. On Saturday night, he watched the World Series and listened to the Hornets (5-2, 3-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference) roll.

Coe said he did not know when he would return to the team.

"I'm waiting to hear from the doctors," Coe said.

Alabama State turned three blocked punts into three first-half touchdowns, scored the game's first 52 points and left little suspense for Pierce, Coe or the announced crowd of 7,488.

"We're just praying for Coach Coe and wanted to go out and play hard," running back Keldrick Williams said. "Coach Coe had a message for us: You never know when it's your time."

More here:
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/StorySports19ASUGAMER.htm

Back