Alabama has the greatest collection of HBCU bands..

atl hornet

Alabama State, Dega, Miles, Stillman, and AAMU. Each of those bands offer something unique to the community, and they are among the best in their conferences. Im a GA boy, but after Morris Brown went down, our bands in GA fell off. Fort Valley is our best band, and the others (Morehouse, CAU, Albany and SSU) dont make much impact in the band world.

Prove me wrong.

ATL Hornet, I would have to agree with you there.

Sometimes I wonder WHY do we even have a band program at Da'House.
After losing Blake Gaines a 2nd time, it really sucks honestly. :rolleyes:
The Gawga hbcu bands really aren't hitting on anything, sad to say.

I just learned last year that Stillman still had their band program and it
is apparently bigger than when they had football.

I also saw a clip fo some community college in Mississippi, apparently,
an hbcu comm. college Coloma, Cohoma, Cuhuma...yall know them?

Yes collection wise you are correct. Battle For Birmingham will most likely take off and be a thing for years to come. Y’all are 5 deep

ATL Hornet, I would have to agree with you there.

Sometimes I wonder WHY do we even have a band program at Da'House.
After losing Blake Gaines a 2nd time, it really sucks honestly. :rolleyes:
The Gawga hbcu bands really aren't hitting on anything, sad to say.

I just learned last year that Stillman still had their band program and it
is apparently bigger than when they had football.

I also saw a clip fo some community college in Mississippi, apparently,
an hbcu comm. college Coloma, Cohoma, Cuhuma...yall know them?

I think its called Cahoma Community College. I read somewhere that community colleges are big business in Mississippi, and a lot of kids go to a CC before they transfer to their 4 year school.

Knowing what I know now as an adult, I would have applied to Morehouse when I was in HS and not shunned them. But I wish CAU and Morehouse invested more in the marching band programs. Metro Atlanta and New Orleans have the greatest collection of high school marching bands, and its a shame the colleges in GA are in the shape they are in. Fort Valley has a nice program, but not too many kids want to go to the country.

I follow CAU's bands instagram and they visit a lot of local high schools, so hopefully thats a step in the right direction.

As far as Stillman goes, those kids are REALLY good. That is the prototype small band. Them, Benedict and Fort Valley hold it down for the small bands.

Miles, AAMU and Stillman definitely.

You got jokes

It wasn't a joke... those are the good programs over there. Dega on the verge but they still iffy.

Savannah sounds pretty good. Imo cleaner than fvsu.marquies Graham from edward waters over there doing a great job. Clark program got taken away so it wasn't the band issue.

Savannah sounds pretty good. Imo cleaner than fvsu.marquies Graham from edward waters over there doing a great job. Clark program got taken away so it wasn't the band issue.

wait what? When did the band get taken away from CAU?

Fort Valley has always been nice to me. It was one of the schools I received a scholarship to, but I chose to attend ASU. I need to catch SSU live.

Alabama State, Dega, Miles, Stillman, and AAMU. Each of those bands offer something unique to the community, and they are among the best in their conferences. Im a GA boy, but after Morris Brown went down, our bands in GA fell off. Fort Valley is our best band, and the others (Morehouse, CAU, Albany and SSU) dont make much impact in the band world.

Prove me wrong.

I agree. Alabama has the best marching bands which is why that Alabama HBCU Battle of the Bands competition was a good idea and a success. You forgot to mention Tuskegee ... they small but musicality wise they are on point ... their book is badly outdated which is my biggest issue b/c small bands don't bother me if they sound good and they arrangements are good. Alabama HBCUs recruit heavily in Georgia ... I think almost every one of them have a Red Dawg Order (band frat/soror only for GA students).

HBCU bands in Georgia are very disappointing, I rather listen to the high schools in GA than the HBCUs. Since the departure of MBC's Marching Wolverines which hopefully comes back one day, no one has stepped up. FVSU is about the same as Albany ... not much a difference. The worst SWAC band will blow them out the water with sound, swag, and song selection. Simply put, GA HBCUs don't invest in their bands like many HBCUs outside the state which is foolish. I know for a fact SU's The Human Jukebox is responsible for millions funneled to SU and keeping the institution relevant in mainstream society.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S5w07yVF4I

Last edited:
tsugraytiger, indeed. the metro Atlanta high school bands will show up and show OUT!!!
Albany State's band used to be a lot better, but they're about as good as it gets for Gawga hbcu bands.

tsugraytiger, indeed. the metro Atlanta high school bands will show up and show OUT!!!
Albany State's band used to be a lot better, but they're about as good as it gets for Gawga hbcu bands.

the band culture here in Atlanta has fallen way off, but I think it’s starting to pick up steam again. I graduated high school in 2006, & it seemed like it started to fall off after I left HS. The kids from 2014 till now are really passionate about bands again. Hopefully that means the numbers will go back up.

I remember when Southwest Dekalb used to be dang near 300, Stephenson, Cedar Grove, Redan, MLK, Morrow and other bands had at least 140.

my only gripe with Atlanta high school bands now is that FAMU & Cookman grads are leading most of the programs. There are a couple of Bama State grads, 1 Tennessee State grad & 1 southern grad that I know of, and the rest are FAMU & Cookman based programs

it especially pains me to see Cedar Grove, McNair & Columbia under the leadership of FAMU grads when they were some of the only SWAC influenced high school bands in Atlanta. Nobody wanted to see those 3 back in the day because they had a powerful sound

Back