After offensive comment, Miami state senator fends off calls for resignation, condemnation

Olde Hornet

http://www.politico.com/states/flor...off-calls-for-resignation-condemnation-111347

TALLAHASSEE — A Miami state senator is fending off calls for his resignation, a possible Florida Senate complaint and the condemnation of fellow Republicans after he oddly referred to six white colleagues as the N-word during a heated discussion with a black lawmaker, one of whom who he called a “bitch.”

As pressure mounts, state Sen. Frank Artiles plans to formally apologize to the entire Florida Senate on Wednesday and ask for forgiveness. He apologized Tuesday evening — after his alcohol-fueled racist language the night before was reported to Republican leadership, and the Miami Herald and Florida Times-Union began asking questions.

Artiles insists he is not a bigot and noted that he used the phrase to refer to white GOP senators, not blacks.

“It was a slang term, and I am not a racist,” Artiles, who is Cuban-American, told POLITICO Florida via text message. “I am not a racist.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article145942934.html

Miami lawmaker resigns over racial slur scandal

Sen. Frank Artiles resigned from the Florida Legislature on Friday, consumed by a scandal that erupted three days earlier over a diatribe of insults the Miami Republican unleashed against two lawmakers at a Tallahassee bar.

In a letter to Senate President Joe Negron, Artiles said he was stepping down immediately for the sake of his family and the institution of the Senate, whose work ground to a near halt this week as Republican leaders grappled with Artiles’ political future.

“My actions and my presence in government is now a distraction to my colleagues, the legislative process, and the citizens of our great State,” Artiles wrote in a letter hand-delivered by his staff. “I am responsible and I am accountable and effective immediately, I am resigning from the Florida State Senate.

Back