AAn independent's indictment against inept Democratic leadership

hassan

La ilaj? ila Al
I am a registered voter. I have been since I was eighteen.

I have only missed one election in my life. I was not allowed to vote in the 2000 general election because the Volusia County Elections office never processed my change of address form.

I am neither Republican nor am I Democrat. I think too much of my own political identity and ideological destiny to limit myself to the predetermined and oft times stagnant platforms of people that do not know me and will never geniunely care for me as a sovereign individual.

Yesterday's mid-term elections are still on many people's minds. The Democratic minds are filled with angst and anger. However, if the Democratic minds had been actively thinking of ways to win and not hope for a Republican loss, there minds would be filled with happiness and hope.

During a press conference at the National Press Club today in our nation's capital, it came out that the undoing of the donkey party (how appropo) was that it was too busy pointing what was wrong instead of emphasizing what it could do. In other words, the electorate said that it did not want to hear complaining; it wanted to hear ideas for positive change.

I had a discussion earlier today with a dear friend is Democrat to a fault. I pointed out that for people that want to beat Jeb Bush in 2006, the work must begin now. The GOP started working on this election before the 2000 general election was even decided. If you dont believe it then you must also believe that Bill McBride would have made a good governor for Florida.

Granted, I would have liked to have seen McBride win if, for nothing else, to get rid of Jeb. But McBride was empty shell of an egghead and the voters saw it. Moreover, he didnt actively pursue the vote like the similarly simple-minded George W. Bush has done and will continue to do.

McBride, the ex-Marine, did not seize the iniative. He sat back and expected that the victory would knock on his door. What he failed to realize was that his shot at Jeb came only because Janet Reno also sat back and expected the victory to knock on her door.

Reno waited until the eleventh hour before she mounted any kind of challenge for the Democratic nomination and it was half-baked at best. Pardon me but a celebrity-filled party on South Beach does not send out the message that one truly wishes to be elected dog catcher much less governor.

But the McBride/Reno complacency is indicative of the thought process of the entire DNC leadership. They are, frankly, punks.

If I were a card-carrying member of the donkey party (and I often vote Democratic on many issues), the sun would not set tonight without me burning that meaningless card of false hopes.

Democratic friends of mine shrink from such blasphemous talk as if the ghosts of Franklin Roosevelt or John Kennedy will relinquish their admission to liberal heaven.

However, the events of the last two elections have revealed current DNC leadership to be comprised of political cowards and sissies. With so many dyed-in-the-wool Dems counting on their leaders to wage and win war against the evil elephants of the right, it is a shame that the DNC leadership sits in a cushy Beltway bunker while rank and file donkeys are cannon fodder for Republican assaults.

It is akin to you sitting in your family's kitchen as a child and your dad sells your sister to the first guy that knocks on the door and your mother invites some one off of the street to beat you up for your lunch.

- hassan

Back