AAMU falls to UGA

DAHILL

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1101982614268703.xml

ATHENS, Ga. - The Alabama A&M men's basketball team hadn't slayed many giants since moving up to the Division I level six years ago. In fact, the Bulldogs hadn't slayed any in the Southeastern Conference.

A&M entered Wednesday night's game against Georgia 0-9 against SEC teams and many of the losses had been lopsided. It appeared this one would be the same after Georgia scored eight unanswered points to take its largest lead of the game at 43-24 barely a minute into the second half.

But unlike it had done in previous games against major conference teams, Vann Pettaway's group battled back.

A&M used a 23-9 run to pull within 54-47 with just less than nine minutes left and had a chance to play giant killers.

"We had them where we wanted them," A&M forward Joe Martin said.

Unfortunately, A&M couldn't finish off its comeback effort.

The Bulldogs missed eight of their last nine shots and Georgia closed the game with a 17-7 run and went on beat A&M 72-54 before an announced crowd of 6,176 at Stegeman Coliseum.

"They were rattled after we got it to seven, but they kept their composure," A&M guard Obie Trotter said. "It just didn't go our way."

The loss dropped A&M to 1-3 on the season. Georgia won for the first time this season and moved to 1-2.

"We're getting closer and closer," A&M coach Vann Pettaway said. "One of these days, one of these SEC schools is going down."

It could have been Georgia.

After Andre Matthews' layup pulled A&M within 54-47, Brandon Neloms' 3-pointer rimmed out. On the other end, Channing Toney drained a 3 to give Georgia a 57-47 advantage.

Matthews scored inside to make it an eight-point game, but A&M missed its next seven shots as Georgia went on to post the 17-point victory.

"We missed point-blank shots," Pettaway said. "We had three trips where we got the ball in close to the basket and couldn't convert. Then we took some bad shots. After that (Georgia coach) Dennis (Felton) and his kids ran away from us."

Felton said while his team didn't handle A&M's pressure well in the second half, he said the Bulldogs handled it well enough to come away with the win.

"It got a little more frenetic at times because they got a little more desperate with their trapping," Felton said. "We did not always handle it well, but we did play with enough poise to get the job done."

Trotter led all scorers with 17 points, including four 3-pointers. Martin finished with 13 points.

A&M struggled from the free throw line, making 8-of-19, for 42 percent.

Channing led Georgia with 16 points. Levi Stukes finished with 13 and Steve Newman added 13.

"Even though we lost, there's a lot of positives to take from this game," Pettaway said. "The game was much closer than the final score indicated."

A&M will host Stillman College Saturday.

An A&M win would not have surprised me at all. UGA sucks big time this year and will in all likelihood, bring up the bottom of the SEC, by far. They can thank Jim Harrick for that.

Once we made that run and got within 7 points, (after being down nearly 20)I thought we had a chance. We simply didn't convert on some opportunities we had on our end of the court. The Bulldogs played great defense, which helped us go on that late surge. I'm pretty optimistic about the team's prospects for 04-05. Already, they are much improved over last year's squad.

Tigerpride said:
had a chance???? :lmao:

You must have forgot that you were ...nevamind

I haven't forgotten what YOU are!

Shouldn't you be somewhere keeping Bell company? It ain't like he's got any other friends....or fans.

Back