A&T loses another assistant

Blacknbengal

A&T loses another assistant

7-26-02

By CRAIG T. GREENLEE, Staff Writer
News & Record

GREENSBORO -- Two weeks before the start of preseason football practice, N.C. A&T has lost another assistant coach.

Allan Gerber, the Aggies' offensive coordinator for four years, is stepping down to take a similar position at Randolph-Macon College, an NCAA Division III program in Ashland, Va. Gerber, who also will coach the offensive line coach, will join his new school next week.

"This is a family decision and nothing else," said Gerber, who helped A&T post a 35-11 record with an NCAA playoff appearance during his tenure. "There are no pressures on me. There are no politics involved. Family is the priority.

"I have a 2-1/2-year-old son (Brett) who I haven't been able to spend much time with and that needs to change. I don't feel like I'm leaving with any feelings of malice. I have nothing but love for coach Bill Hayes, and I'll always be indebted to him for giving me the opportunity to further my career."

Hayes acknowledges that Gerber's departure comes at a bad time. But he's not holding any grudges.

"In coaching, you always walk a thin line between how much time you spend with the kids on your team and the time you spend with your own kids," Hayes said. "In too many instances, coaches miss out on their kids' formative years because of their jobs. Allan chose family and I applaud his decision. He did a great job here, the numbers (wins and losses) speak for themselves. I wish him and his family well."

With Gerber's departure, Hayes' staff is one man short. But that doesn't mean he will add another assistant. Gerber had been relieved of duties as a position coach for 2002, which allowed him more time to focus on being a coordinator. Last year, Gerber was the quarterbacks coach and he previously coached the offensive line.

For now, Hayes has not made a decision about who will do the play-calling. There's a possibility that Hayes might handle the task, or it could be former Appalachian State assistant Rocky Lewis, who became A&T's quarterbacks coach last spring.

"We have time to decide how we want to handle that," Hayes said.

In terms of staff stability, the first seven months of 2002 have not been kind to Aggie football. Gerber is the fifth assistant to leave since January. Here's a rundown:

Defensive coordinator Wayne Hicks was named head coach at Division II Lenoir-Rhyne the first week in January.

Sam Washington, who coached the Aggies' special teams as a part-timer last season, was named defensive coordinator at Mississippi Valley State.

Linebackers coach John Falvey left coaching to pursue a career in private business.

Defensive line coach Terrell Williams left just before the start spring practice to coach at Youngstown State.
"Allan's situation is different from the others," Hayes said. "But the reason why we've had a revolving door with our coaches is economics. That's the case 95 percent of the time. If we don't find a way to do something about coaches' salaries, we'll continue to lose them."

In accepting the job at Randolph-Macon, Gerber is looking to help turn around a program that finished 4-6 a year ago and has gone through three offensive coordinators in five years.

"Allan has good ties here in Virginia, having coached at VMI and Washington & Lee," said Scott Boone, the Yellow Jackets' head coach. "I think his experience and background as a coordinator and offensive line coach will help us get to where we want to be."

and they lose the ASST AD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TREXLER RESIGNS AS ASSISTANT ATHLETICS DIRECTOR AT N.C. A&T

Greensboro, N.C. - North Carolina A&T Assistant
Athletics Director/Senior Woman Administrator Holly Trexler
will resign from her position, effective July 31, 2002.

The Kansas native leaves the N.C. A&T athletics
department to become Assistant Athletics Director for
Academic Support at Quinnipiac University (Hamden, CT).
Joining the A&T staff in August 1999, Trexler spent three
years directing the department?s NCAA compliance and
eligibility issues while coordinating programs for academic
development and life skills.

Prior to N.C. A&T, Trexler worked at the University of
Kansas where she obtained her BA degree in English and
African American Studies and her MS in Education and
Sports Administration. She also had a Juris Doctorate and is
a licensed attorney in the state of Kansas.

?I am thankful for the experience this position has
provided me and excited about my new endeavors,?
concludes Trexler.

--------------------
Savannah State University: Georgia's oldest state supported historically black college

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 270 | From: Savannah, GA | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged
Titan34
Cheerleader
Member # 1918

Rate Member posted July 27, 2002 01:40 AM
What's going on in Aggieland????
Posts: 2 | From: norfolk, va | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged
EPMD
Athletic Director
Member # 102

Member Rated:
posted July 27, 2002 06:49 AM
Maybe the loss of the AD has made people edgy. Sounds like major shakeups down there. It was really strange to me that the AD was fired the way he was. But then again, they had successful football but in what other sport were they doing well? Maybe that's the issue.

-ep

--------------------
Scorpios ain't bad either...

Posts: 9252 | From: San Juan, PR, USA | Registered: Jul 1999 | IP: Logged
The Professor
Bench Warmer
Member # 461

Member Rated:
posted July 27, 2002 01:59 PM
I would like to know what is going on myself. So far we lost:

AD
Assistant AD
Five assistant coaches in Football

Who's next

--------------------
Now that you have learned your lesson for the day, Class Dismissed

Damn,

Whoever they find to replace this offensive coordinator has to be better than the guy that just left. This is not good.

GR,

You are right, their coaching staff improved 1000% when that garbage DC and that pitiful OC resigned.

Back