A Steady Diet of Detox

Blacknbengal

Could a body cleanse put you in harm's way?

When Shanna Nash was trying to give up smoking two years ago, she was concerned about weight gain. But instead of chewing gum or swearing off sweets, she decided to go the route of a friend who lost 15 pounds on the "master cleanse." For up to 10 days, fasters drink as much as three liters a day of a concoction of freshly squeezed lemon juice, water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper with the idea that it will flush their body of toxins and excess pounds—quickly.

Nash, a jewelry designer from Brooklyn, N.Y., says on the first day or two she experienced intense food cravings, light-headedness and couldn't stray too far from a toilet. On the fifth day, something clicked. She felt energized and was noticeably losing weight. A few more days in, though, the all-liquid diet began to take its toll. Increasingly irritable, she couldn't stop staring at people while they ate.

Nash lasted 10 full days and lost 12 pounds.

Rest story

I think if people are trying to lose a quick 5 or 10 lbs, it's not so bad. But when you're obese and you wanna drop a bunch of pounds, it may hurt ya.

I won't lie, when I was like 250lbs, I wanted to try something like this... I was exercising, but the weight just wasn't coming off. Thing is, I read up on this cleansing stuff and although it works in the short term, it's usually not for the long term.

I did things the ole fashioned way... pushing back the plate and keeping busy... and I'm glad I did it that way.

Back