A question about death and the afterlife

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
Those of us who are familiar with Christianity have been taught (or at least told) that when a person dies they will either spend eternity in heaven or hell.

If that is the case, why do people use the phrase "Rest In Peace" after a person dies?

If that living soul is in heaven or hell, how can the dead person rest in peace?

My interpretation of that is just that the decedent is no longer plagued by the vices of this world (illness, hatred, discrimination, worries, etc....). If you have ever spoken to someone crossing over in the midst of battling a long illness, they describe it being "peaceful" over there. So IMO, if a person believes that Jesus died for their sins and defeated death by raising from the dead........then heaven awaits. Now those that do not, i can't comment how the statement is applicable. That may be more to help the grieving family.

My beliefs are, once you die, decomposition is the final stage of life; there is no afterlife, heaven or hell.

Lying in a casket, a person appeared to be asleep and resting, that’s where the phrase “rest in peace” was derived.

As for a living soul in heaven, who wants to live forever? As for a living soul in hell, can you really burn forever?

Everyone who dies isn't a christian... people have been dying since time began - where did people go before organized religion (Christianity) was created?

There are 5 billion people on the planet, everyone isn't a christian and many cultures are older than christianity.

My beliefs are, once you die, decomposition is the final stage of life; there is no afterlife, heaven or hell.

Lying in a casket, a person appeared to be asleep and resting, that’s where the phrase “rest in peace” was derived.

As for a living soul in heaven, who wants to live forever? As for a living soul in hell, can you really burn forever?

There's more scientific and circumstancial evidence than not, to support the notion of life beyond the grave. Some religions have muddied the waters when it comes to teaching about what we can expect after this physical body dies. Thank goodness, those waters are now becoming much clearer for those with open minds who are willing to do more in-depth investigating on the subject rather than just accepting unfounded preconceived ideas.

As far as living forever is concerned, if the environment that I will be in is peaceful, loving, caring, giving, etc., I wouldn't mind living forever.

Last edited:
The afterlife is nothing more than fiction... there are no such thing as ghost, Heaven, or Hell... some of us have trouble letting "life" go on without us... as if we are that important to the universe... our life, like energy is transformed into fertilizer for the earth... and that's it... some people can't accept death as your final stop so they invent the afterlife... make sure you are happy before you die cause you won't have another chance...

The afterlife is nothing more than fiction... there are no such thing as ghost, Heaven, or Hell... some of us have trouble letting "life" go on without us... as if we are that important to the universe... our life, like energy is transformed into fertilizer for the earth... and that's it... some people can't accept death as your final stop so they invent the afterlife... make sure you are happy before you die cause you won't have another chance...

You present your evidence that there's no life beyond the physical and I'll gladly put mine up against yours with much confidence. I'll start with quantum physics.
There's too much evidence clearly and easily debunking what you stated. Even scientist are now finally coming around to the fact that there is more to the afterlife than they once believed.

Everyone who dies isn't a christian... people have been dying since time began - where did people go before organized religion (Christianity) was created?

There are 5 billion people on the planet, everyone isn't a christian and many cultures are older than christianity.
There is no culture older than the book of Genesis when the earth was created. Heaven / Hell existed before that. There has always been a way to go to heaven or hell from day one. Christianity became the 'way' after Jesus came to earth and died, rose, etc for our sins.

BTW Jesus was in Heaven before the earth was made and there was a hell back then too so Christianity (trying to live like Jesus) was not the start of heaven / hell...

As for the original question, r.i.p. rest in peace doesn't mean you're not doing anything and just laying there. It's just a state that we can enter into. When a christian goes to heaven then we are 'glorified' from the pressence of sin which was all around us on earth. The struggle of that and life in general is gone. Heaven will be total peace because we'l all be on the same page up there, vs the craziness going on here today.

So not everyone will "rest in peace."

Last edited:
Hmm interesting question, but I agree with what MsJagFan said; it is meant to describe a person having to no longer deal with "the troubles/worries of the living world".

Now I'd like to address the statement of what we are taught as kids. We are taught as kids that when someone dies their soul/spirit goes to Heaven or Hell, well this actually contradicts the Bible, which talks about us being at a state of "rest" until Jesus returns, when the dead in Christ will be caught up to meet him in the air. And at that great tribulation period is when your soul will be judge and a determination will be made upon where you will spend eternity. But hey just keep believing what you where taught instead of what you actually read. It's easier to tell a kid that, as it gives them more peace of mind, to know that grandma or grandpa is in Heaven, I even have a friend who is 39yo that believes her recently passed grandmother is now in Heaven, despite what she has read, and has since changed her interpretation because of her grandmothers passing last year. So I'm just telling you what it says and not what to believe.

And one last thing just to pick on people. this question was addressed to "those of us familiar with Christianity"; which I take to mean those professing a belief in Jesus Christ.
To answer a question like this when you're a "non-believer" is like a blind man tell a man with sight that the sky is green.
One (the Believer) knows it, sees it, feels it, in their hearts of hearts, what they believe is true, while the other (the non-Believer) has never seen only heard, and chooses to believe something else, even if they once had sight, they still choose to believe something else. But still tries to convince the sighted person with the blinded foolishness.

Part 1

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i3R9UahcEFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VcHvJ4lFsh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RB, this pastor Murray is teaching some of the same principles taught in Hinduism, that we have TWO bodies, a physical one and a spiritual body.

If we have two bodies and one doesn't die, why is there a need to wait for a resurrection at a seventh trumpet when our spiritual body is not dead to begin with? If our spiritual body isn't dead, there's no need for any resurrection and there's no need to wait in limbo for some seventh trumpet.

RB, this pastor Murray is teaching some of the same principles taught in Hinduism, that we have TWO bodies, a physical one and a spiritual body.

If we have two bodies and one doesn't die, why is there a need to wait for a resurrection at a seventh trumpet when our spiritual body is not dead to begin with? If our spiritual body isn't dead, there's no need for any resurrection and there's no need to wait in limbo for some seventh trumpet.

Yes, we have two bodies as the bible clearly states and pastor Murray is only teaching what the bible teaches.

In reference to the 7th trump. This applies to all people who are living on earth in the flesh, they will instantly be changed into their Spiritual body at the 7th trump. In reference to the 1st resurrection, this applies to Christians who are living on earth in the flesh, and they overcome antichrist when Christ return at the 7th trump. These are the only people that will partake of the 1st resurrection. The 7th trump has nothing to do with those who have already died and went to heaven to be with God. The 7th trump applies to those who are living on earth in the flesh when Christ return at the 7th trump. The 1st resurrection applies to Christians that will overcome antichrist.

In reference to the 2nd resurrection, this applies to the people who are not Christians and Christians who will be decieved by Satan(antichrist) thinking that he is Jesus and that he is going to rapture them away. They also are changed into their spiritual body at the 7th trump when Christ return, however they did not partake in the 1st resurrection because they were decieved by Satan and worshipped Satan in ignorance; they will be taught truth in the millineum(1000 years) while in their spiritual bodies, that truth in which they could not comprehend or believe in the flesh body due to lies, deception, confusion and etc. God will allow them this opportunity and if they choose not to follow God in their spiritual body, then they will be sentenced to an eternal death of the soul and spiritual body at the end of the millenium. God spoke them into existence and He will speak them out of existence. This is why He informs Christians that we should not fear people who can kill the flesh, but we should fear God who has the knowledge to destroy the body and soul.

I will post the video of pastor Murray explaining and teaching "Revelations chapter 20" in detail. This should answer your questions.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D9C4RvFAzuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

in continuation...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oBmDcQStFWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HtcwjFqGplw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From the writings the soul and the body are two separate entities in that when the body dies the soul will be in the presence of GOD while the body will be later resurrected and rejoined with the soul, (NO PUN INTENDED) I am not sure why this occurs! I heard a pastor say that God doesn't really leave anything behind, he just demonstrates his power from certain perspectives for instance when Christ died his soul entered into hell while his body was still in the tomb, his sole was to bare the iniquity of sinners and to bring those who were in paradise into the heavenly kingdom and on the third day he was to be rejoined with soul and body to represent the resurrection AND THIS WILL BE THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENS TO THE UNGODLY WHEN THEY DIE but they will be resurrected with body on the final judgement while previously their soul will be in Haities (I think I am spelling this right)!

ROYAL BLUE; [QUOTE said:
Yes, we have two bodies as the bible clearly states and pastor Murray is only teaching what the bible teaches.

Then the bible is teaching the same thing as ancient Egyptian religion, Hinduism and other religions have taught for thousands of years before Christianity and the bible came on the scene.

In reference to the 7th trump. This applies to all people who are living on earth in the flesh, they will instantly be changed into their Spiritual body at the 7th trump.

No it doesn't. The 7th trumpet are only for those who are Christians, eventhough it's only fictional writings.

In reference to the 1st resurrection, this applies to Christians who are living on earth in the flesh, and they overcome antichrist when Christ return at the 7th trump. These are the only people that will partake of the 1st resurrection. The 7th trump has nothing to do with those who have already died and went to heaven to be with God. The 7th trump applies to those who are living on earth in the flesh when Christ return at the 7th trump. The 1st resurrection applies to Christians that will overcome antichrist.

Wrong again. Eventhough this is ficitional, I'll still explain. Paul talks about the last trumpet and he includes himself in the last trumpet. At the time, Paul thought he would be alive at Jesus' second coming, but he was wrong. Your claim that the 7th trumpet doesn't apply to those Christians who have died over the years is not accurate at all.

It's clearly explained in the following verses:
For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangels call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

In reference to the 2nd resurrection, this applies to the people who are not Christians and Christians who will be decieved by Satan(antichrist) thinking that he is Jesus and that he is going to rapture them away. They also are changed into their spiritual body at the 7th trump when Christ return, however they did not partake in the 1st resurrection because they were decieved by Satan and worshipped Satan in ignorance; they will be taught truth in the millineum(1000 years) while in their spiritual bodies, that truth in which they could not comprehend or believe in the flesh body due to lies, deception, confusion and etc. God will allow them this opportunity and if they choose not to follow God in their spiritual body, then they will be sentenced to an eternal death of the soul and spiritual body at the end of the millenium. God spoke them into existence and He will speak them out of existence. This is why He informs Christians that we should not fear people who can kill the flesh, but we should fear God who has the knowledge to destroy the body and soul.

Wrong again. What bible are you getting this stuff from? I'm not a Christian, but I know this much. The second resurrection has nothing to do with the seventh trumpet. The seventh trumpet is over and done with before the millenium, then comes the millenium, then comes the second resurrection or Great White Throne judgement.
Where you got that stuff you're talking about is nowhere to be found in the bible. Nevermind though because either way it goes, it's all fictional. There's no need for a resurrection since the body doesn't die to begin with.

I will post the video of pastor Murray explaining and teaching "Revelations chapter 20" in detail. This should answer your questions.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then the bible is teaching the same thing as ancient Egyptian religion, Hinduism and other religions have taught for thousands of years before Christianity and the bible came on the scene.

No it doesn't. The 7th trumpet are only for those who are Christians, eventhough it's only fictional writings.

Wrong again. Eventhough this is ficitional, I'll still explain. Paul talks about the last trumpet and he includes himself in the last trumpet. At the time, Paul thought he would be alive at Jesus' second coming, but he was wrong. Your claim that the 7th trumpet doesn't apply to those Christians who have died over the years is not accurate at all.

It's clearly explained in the following verses:
For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangels call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

Wrong again. What bible are you getting this stuff from? I'm not a Christian, but I know this much. The second resurrection has nothing to do with the seventh trumpet. The seventh trumpet is over and done with before the millenium, then comes the millenium, then comes the second resurrection or Great White Throne judgement.
Where you got that stuff you're talking about is nowhere to be found in the bible. Nevermind though because either way it goes, it's all fictional. There's no need for a resurrection since the body doesn't die to begin with.

Thanks, but no thanks.

You asked a few questions and I answered all of your questions. Having said that, I do not wish to debate that in which I know to be true, pure and righteous...which is the entire word of God. I rebuke all evil spirits in the name of Jesus. If you have any additional questions concerning the word of God, then I will be more than happy to answer. My interest is of Christianity and only Christianity. If you would like to discuss false heathen religions such as Hindu, Buddaism, Atheism and others, then please start a special thread for those heathen practices. This thread is about death and the after life. I would prefer to stick to the subject and not deviate into discussing heathen religions and false practices from those religions. A word to the wise is sufficient!

Last edited:
You asked a few questions and I answered all of your questions. Having said that, I do not wish to debate that in which I know to be true, pure and righteous...which is the entire word of God. I rebuke all evil spirits in the name of Jesus. If you have any additional questions concerning the word of God, then I will be more than happy to answer. My interest is of Christianity and only Christianity. If you would like to discuss false heathen religions such as Hindu, Buddaism, Atheism and others, then please start a special thread for those heathen practices. This thread is about death and the after life. I would prefer to stick to the subject and not deviate into discussing heathen religions and false practices from those religions. A word to the wise is sufficient!

RB, let's cease the self-righteous act okay. You brought up exact teachings of Hinduism and other religions regarding life after death. I can't help it if your mind is so closed to the fact that Christianity plagiarized many of those same doctrines and called it their own.

When you post on a public thread, if you don't want to be questioned for what you post, it may be in your best interest not to post. The same goes for me. If I don't want to be called out on something I've posted, it'd probably be prudent for me not to post at all.

RB, let's cease the self-righteous act okay. You brought up exact teachings of Hinduism and other religions regarding life after death. I can't help it if your mind is so closed to the fact that Christianity plagiarized many of those same doctrines and called it their own.

When you post on a public thread, if you don't want to be questioned for what you post, it may be in your best interest not to post. The same goes for me. If I don't want to be called out on something I've posted, it'd probably be prudent for me not to post at all.

Again, this thread is about death and the afterlife. Again, you asked me a few questions and I answered those questions. Again, if you wish to discuss heathen practices such as Hindu, Budaissm, Atheism and other false religions, then please start a special thread and post your concern. I rebuke all evil spirits in the name of Jesus! I am a Christian and I boldly stand firm and thank God for sending His Son to die on the cross for my sins so that I may live eternally. I know that when my life has ended in this flesh, that I will immediately join my fellow Christian brothers and sisters on the right side of the gulf in heaven. I look forward to this day and I thank God for sending His Son to offer this opportunity to the entire world.

Last edited:
Again, this thread is about death and the afterlife. Again, you asked me a few questions and I answered those questions. Again, if you wish to discuss heathen practices such as Hindu, Budaissm, Atheism and other false religions, then please start a special thread and post your concern. I rebuke all evil spirits in the name of Jesus! I am a Christian and I boldly stand firm and thank God for sending His Son to die on the cross for my sins so that I may live eternally. I know that when my life has ended in this flesh, that I will immediately join my fellow Christian brothers and sisters on the right side of the gulf in heaven. I look forward to this day and I thank God for sending His Son to offer this opportunity to the entire world.

Why couldn't other religions be more accurate than Christianity? The above post sounds like pure self-righteousness to me, which is one of the worst sins one could have.

Why couldn't other religions be more accurate than Christianity? The above post sounds like pure self-righteousness to me, which is one of the worst sins one could have.

Again, this thread is about death and the afterlife. Again, if you would like to discuss other heathen religions then please start another thread. Again, I stand firm and thank God for sending His Son to die on the cross for my sins, so that I may have eternal life in my Spiritual body. I rebuke all evil spirits in the name of Jesus! There will be plenty of rejoicing and celebrating in heaven after all heathens and their religions are thrown into the lake of fire with their leader Satan. All of the Saints will rejoice to see Almighty God destroy the wicked and their wicked religions. I look forward to seeing this come to pass when I am in my beautiful Spiritual body in heaven. Yes, this will be a glorious day in heaven when all of the Saints will sing praises to God.

Last edited:
Again, this thread is about death and the afterlife. Again, if you would like to discuss other heathen religions then please start another thread. Again, I stand firm and thank God for sending His Son to die on the cross for my sins, so that I may have eternal life in my Spiritual body. I rebuke all evil spirits in the name of Jesus! There will be plenty of rejoicing and celebrating in heaven after all heathens and their religions are thrown into the lake of fire with their leader Satan. All of the Saints will rejoice to see Almighty God destroy the wicked and their wicked religions. I look forward to seeing this come to pass when I am in my beautiful Spiritual body in heaven. Yes, this will be a glorious day in heaven when all of the Saints will sing praises to God.

So you're going to be rejoicing at the sufferings of other folks because they don't have the same religious beliefs as you? Wow, this is religious fanaticism at it's worst and is the opposite of pure love. You sound like a self righteous lunatic.

I long for the day when all religions will be destroyed, especially those that call for the end of other religions they actually stole from. Hypocrisy tends to blind those who practice it.
But I do long for the day when people will love others just for the sake of love and not for the sake of some religious beliefs.

In heaven? Heaven on earth, right?

In heaven? Heaven on earth, right?

Yes, heaven will be on earth when Christ return. Christ is returning to earth to set up his eternal Kingdom on earth. At the present, those who are in the flesh can not see heaven because it is in a different dimension. Christ demonstrated this fact after He resurrected when He walked through a door without opening it, He then ate with the disciples and instantly disappeared in their sight. A part of heaven can be above our head and we not know it because we can not see it in the flesh. This is why it is written that flesh and blood can not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Back