A Message from Southern's Band Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknowm

To my band heads, band fans and band lovers:

Competition is healthy and I am a very competitive person.. I get it, but what I don't understand with HBCU Bands is why hate, degrade and put down other bands only because it is not your own. This "self hatred" isn't doing anything but diminishing our own craft. Yes, I am competitive, confident, and sometimes arrogant but I have much respect for others who blazed the trail for me such as Isaac Greggs, Ludwig Freeman, William Davis, Harold Haughton, Dowell Taylor, Conrad Hutchinson, Ben Butler, William P. Foster, Julian White, Lewis Liddell, Larry Pannell, Thomas Llye, George Edwards, Barney Smart, Samuel Griffin....just to name a few. You guys have to get over the "putting others down to lift yourself up" syndrome. I refuse to stoop to that level....while you're hating, band directors with my mentality are grinding. Let's bring back the days when band directors respected each other. Once we do that as directors, our students will follow our paths!

-Nathan B. Haymer

http://forum.the5thquarter.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16538&start=0

The real Nathan B. Haymer up close: (3:30 mark)

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xh1g9o" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh1g9o_haymer-crying_fun" target="_blank">Haymer Crying..</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/trumpfunk" target="_blank">trumpfunk</a></i>

Funny thing is that's your opinion. Su got in that azz that night AND kicked that ass. :lol:

Last edited:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xh1g9o" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh1g9o_haymer-crying_fun" target="_blank">Haymer Crying..</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/trumpfunk" target="_blank">trumpfunk</a></i>

He was 38 hot huh?

LOL!!!!!! Take it like a man. Try again next year!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Know when you been defeated...BWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Priceless!!

Oh, and DEUCES!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is that's your opinion. Su got in that azz that night AND kicked that ass. :lol:

They are just trying to bait Haymer into some BS. Young mofos. They wish they could be him right now. Oh well. He is out to crush bands this Fall. Folks better be ready. A larger Juke at that too.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FrIpSHIQlfk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What was on the video. It is blocked at work?

I think it was some old footage when Haymer was an assistant and I think it was when the police/security at Memorial made Mr Jackson and the band leave in the 5th Qtr. against JSU. So Haymer was hot. So was Mr. J.

Much to do about nothing.

No they didn't. Thats why the staff was losing their WHOLE minds. I doubt Greggs would have lost his cool like Jackson and Haymer.

I can see right now.. Haymer needs to get out of his feelings and grow up.

But I will also say, I enjoyed an SU show for the first time in a long time when I watched the ULL clip. It's odd seeing SU do anything new. So props to him.. :clap:

No they didn't. Thats why the staff was losing their WHOLE minds. I doubt Greggs would have lost his cool like Jackson and Haymer.

But I will also say, I enjoyed an SU show for the first time in a long time when I watched the ULL clip. It's odd seeing SU do anything new. So props to him.. :clap:

They were mad because they were asked to leave in the middle of the battle TP. That's why and they didn't see anybody asking the Boom to leave.

Haymer and his current staff is about to wreck shop because the other Band Directors are older and not really thinking about change too much.

As for Doc. He wouldn't have gotten mad because he would have ignored Security and kept blowing. Either that he would have lined the Juke up on the field and blew anyway again. Doc was a rebel. LOL. Ahh the memories of the black man.

I think it was some old footage when Haymer was an assistant and I think it was when the police/security at Memorial made Mr Jackson and the band leave in the 5th Qtr. against JSU. So Haymer was hot. So was Mr. J.

Much to do about nothing.

THREE years going on FOUR is considered old? Wow! :confused:

The bands have a limited amount of time for 5th quarter... The people managing the stadium were tired of those 2a.m. band battles. I wish they would have made the home team leave. We'd riot!

TP....I'm more inclined to believe this below:

They were mad because they were asked to leave in the middle of the battle TP. That's why and they didn't see anybody asking the Boom to leave.

.....Which leads me to believe that SU was putting a foot all up the booms @$$. :lol:

But that's ok. I see the Thread Starter had to pull footage from 4 years ago to prove some sort of ill advised point. And Ummm....for the next 4 to 5 years, I will have a little more of a VESTED INTEREST in what the JUKE does. :swink:

Last edited:
TMade's Disclaimer: I, TMade am NOT a fan of the 4-5 song 5ths....

But with that said, I say this. You probably aren't going to see very many long 5th at the Friendly Confines anymore. When the DFA managed the Stadium, operating costs were picked up by DFA. But when JSU took over operational control, we're picking-up the tab for those liquid-mercury lights (that suck electricity like Vanessa DelRio). And being that the grounds crew doesn't clean the stands immediately following the games anymore, those lights aren't going to stay on for an extra 1-2 hours so the bands can blow at each other....

That's why I think we need day games, early like 11am. That way, the 5th can go all afternoon (with the lights off). :D

TP....I'm more inclined to believe this below:

.....Which leads me to believe that SU was putting a foot all up the booms @$$. :lol"

But that's ok. I see the Thread Starter had to pull footage from 4 years ago to prove some sort of ill advised point. And Ummm....for the next 4 to 5 years, I will have a little more of a VESTED INTEREST in what the JUKE does. :swink:

As a matter of fact it was Murray that told the cops to make the Jukebox leave. This thread and the 100's of other threads started by these jsu folks show how scared they are. It's hilarious :lol:

TMade's Disclaimer: I, TMade am NOT a fan of the 4-5 song 5ths....

But with that said, I say this. You probably aren't going to see very many long 5th at the Friendly Confines anymore. When the DFA managed the Stadium, operating costs were picked up by DFA. But when JSU took over operational control, we're picking-up the tab for those liquid-mercury lights (that suck electricity like Vanessa DelRio). And being that the grounds crew doesn't clean the stands immediately following the games anymore, those lights aren't going to stay on for an extra 1-2 hours so the bands can blow at each other....

That's why I think we need day games, early like 11am. That way, the 5th can go all afternoon (with the lights off). :D

LMAO @ homeboy. Yeah the days of closing stadiums down is over with for the most part.

Haymer and his current staff is about to wreck shop because the other Band Directors are older and not really thinking about change too much.

As for Doc. He wouldn't have gotten mad because he would have ignored Security and kept blowing. Either that he would have lined the Juke up on the field and blew anyway again. Doc was a rebel. LOL. Ahh the memories of the black man.

JR, we had BEEN told ya'll to go home! lol

As of lining up and blowing.. Mr. J that but it looked coonish and the BOOM and Murray were just over there laughing at ya'll and then they hit ya'll was "Deuces".

The BOOM was like...

I know you're mad, but so what
I wish you best of luck
And now I'm finna throw them deuces up

As a matter of fact it was Murray that told the cops to make the Jukebox leave. This thread and the 100's of other threads started by these jsu folks show how scared they are. It's hilarious :lol:

True. It's funny and sad. More sad than the former.

They are just trying to bait Haymer into some BS. Young mofos. They wish they could be him right now. Oh well. He is out to crush bands this Fall. Folks better be ready. A larger Juke at that too.

This is true. Son keeps telling me he can't wait until October 25. :lol:

I copied this from another forum:

Haymer 2010: "F**K JACKSON STATE! JACKSON STATE A B**CH. F**K THEM. F**K IT! THEY KICKED US OUT! F**K YOU! THAT'S IT. *finger sign*."

:handicap: :lol:

Haymer Today: "We need to get back to the day when we all respected each other."

:lol:

Wassup Artist! :wavey: U ain't foolin nobody mane and we see you taking cheap shots at some current directors. Where is the love bruh? Where is the love? :snicker:

And this is what Haymer put on his FB page today in response ...

Nathan B. Haymer on his Facebook page today said:
These are the two most intense bands in the SWAC so naturally there would be some tension. In the past (2010) I allowed myself to stoop to a level of unprofessionalism after being harrassed by a random bystander and that added fuel to the fire as well. I'll just sum it up by saying this, real life experiences changes your perception. The past 2 years I have been going through so much in preparation for the next level that I've learned that the humble approach is the best way! While I am only human a have my shortcomings, I realize my role in taking this craft to the next level.

Dowell Taylor has my utmost respect as we are similiar in age when he first took over the Sonic Boom in the 1980s. I would be honored to take a picture with him. I followed him his whole career and he's a great band director!

1 Corinthians 13:11 in full effect. It takes a big man to own up to his errors and put them behind him -- its not about perfection, its about growth. Haymer just earned even more respect from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back