A&M women restock roster

DAHILL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A&M women restock roster
3A Player of Year Samuel heads list of newest Bulldogs
Thursday, April 29, 2004
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

Alabama A&M lost five seniors, including five of its top six scorers, from this year's Southwestern Athletic Conference Tournament team.

So women's basketball coach Altherias Warmley knew the importance of quickly restocking her talent pool.

Warmley said she believes she has done that by signing of five players for next season, including former Athens High School star guard Christian Malone.

The five signees include three guards and two forwards.

"We lost some quality players from last year and it was very important for us to have an outstanding recruiting class this year," Warmley said. "We addressed needs on both the perimeter and inside. I am excited about the potential these five ladies bring to our program."

Headlining the group is T.R. Miller standout Ashley Samuel.

A 5-foot-10 guard/forward, Samuel is the two-time Class 3A Player of the Year and led her team to the state championship this season. She averaged 24.7 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and two assists per game.

Sade Lett of Moss Point, Miss., is the other guard.

Malone, the cousin of A&M's Crystal Malone, averaged 12 points, six rebounds and six assists to go with four steals per game in leading the Lady Golden Eagles to back-to-back state titles as a sophomore and junior. The 5-8 guard set career records for steals and assists and is third all-time in 3-pointers at Athens.

"From the first time I saw here, I felt like she was one of the smartest, most poised point guards I had seen," Warmley said. "She can do so many things. She can shoot from the outside, take it to the basket, she handles the ball extremely well and she makes good decisions.

"She comes from a great program and knows how to win."

Lett, who is 5-10, averaged 14 points, five rebounds and five assists per game while leading the Lady Tigers to the Division 7, Class 5A title.

"Sade carried us with her shooting and her defense," Moss Point coach Shelia Smith said.

The forwards are Sumter County's Felicia Drummond and Alexis Faulk from Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) High.

Drummond averaged 21 points and 14 rebounds per game for the Lady Wildcats, while shooting 72 percent from the field, while Faulk, who is 6-3, averaged eight points and eight rebounds per game.

"This is the best class we've signed since I've been here because we've added so many athletes to the program," Warmley said.

"We've signed the people we need to continue to build this program."

full story at :http://www.al.com/aam/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1083260792285591.xml

The Lady Bulldogs were 12-16 in Warmley's second season.

DaHill:

Don't scare Mighty Hornet this way by showing him that AAMU is closing the gap on the Hornets. He and Robber already took umbrage when I pointed out that we outrecruited ASU and JSU on Lett. MH just may take further umbrage if I pointed out that AAMU beat ASU out for Drummond and Samuel.

But MH can take solace in the fact that ASU can land some good players when they are not in head-to-head competition with AAMU. This is an article about a top notch recruit landed by ASU.

http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/articles/2004/05/03/sports/sports05.txt

It seems, however, that everyone is out recruiting JSU.

Dont forget the girls beat Bama St in Montgomery by 7 with 2 starters injured and not playing.... ASU returned the favor in Huntsville winning in OT.... so I honestly think the gap is closer than we think. I didnt see JSU girls play this year, but off the top of my head, I am thinking big Williams will be missed... you cant just replace a 6'7 girl... that was the tallest female i think I have ever seen in person.

Oracle said:
DaHill:

Don't scare Mighty Hornet this way by showing him that AAMU is closing the gap on the Hornets. He and Robber already took umbrage when I pointed out that we outrecruited ASU and JSU on Lett. MH just may take further umbrage if I pointed out that AAMU beat ASU out for Drummond and Samuel.

But MH can take solace in the fact that ASU can land some good players when they are not in head-to-head competition with AAMU.
_ _ _ and funny as L too!!!!

when A&M starts competing with the elite teams for championships, let me know.

Getting a meaningless, once in a blue moon win and signing one or two players don't mean that you have arrived.

but congrats for trying though.
:D

Oracle said:
DaHill:

Outrecruited JSU?? :rolleyes:

How do you know how many schollies we have and what we want to do with them... geez

mighty hornet said:
_ _ _ and funny as L too!!!!

when A&M starts competing with the elite teams for championships, let me know.

Getting a meaningless, once in a blue moon win and signing one or two players don't mean that you have arrived.

but congrats for trying though.
:D

We competed with every team in the SWAC this year EXCEPT Jackson State... all of the other games we either won or they were very close. Keep in mind AAMU was hurt be injuries... 2 starters from last year had to redshirt this year because of ACL injuries..... also Christina Scales (Runner up for Ms. Basketball in Alabama) had to sit out her first year because she wasnt eligible and our big 6'5 girl tore her knee up the first DAY of practice. So we did pretty good for what we had left to play. We should be dangerous next year. Scales is a BEAST.... she led her high school Athens High to a state record 70 straight wins and 3 straight state championships.... ask Ms Kitt about her... she was killing Kitt in Birmingham two years straight at the Final Four. Scales was runner up for MS Basketball to the girl from Hoover who starts for Tennessee now.

Kitt will still be a load to handle on the offensive side next year. She is just slow defensivly. Thats why AAMU's much smaller post players always have big games against her. I still will be glad when she graduates. AAMU and ASU should have two big 6'5 girls banging up against each other this upcoming year.

Tigerpride said:

How do you know how many schollies we have and what we want to do with them... geez
TP... OUTRECRUIT means... when two schools go for the same player and one school gets the player over the other school.... You should know AAMU did it to JSU PLENTY of times this past football season...

The girl from Mississippi picked AAMU over JSU and Bama State. Just like the young lady that signed with Bama St OUTRECRUITED Jackson State, MVSU, Alcorn.

DAHILL said:
We competed with every team in the SWAC this year EXCEPT Jackson State... all of the other games we either won or they were very close. Keep in mind AAMU was hurt be injuries... 2 starters from last year had to redshirt this year because of ACL injuries..... also Christina Scales (Runner up for Ms. Basketball in Alabama) had to sit out her first year because she wasnt eligible and our big 6'5 girl tore her knee up the first DAY of practice. So we did pretty good for what we had left to play. .

UUUUh, when I say that you played our second string defense in football, you call it an excuse.... hmmmm

DAHILL said:
TP... OUTRECRUIT means... when two schools go for the same player and one school gets the player over the other school.... You should know AAMU did it to JSU PLENTY of times this past football season...

The girl from Mississippi picked AAMU over JSU and Bama State. Just like the young lady that signed with Bama St OUTRECRUITED Jackson State, MVSU, Alcorn.

Maybe, maybe not....sometimes a school can not show interest but not strong interest. I don't think we have but two scholarships to give out so I am sure that Taylor is being careful with the offers. And in football, the only dude I think you could be talking about is the QB from Mobile that Bell was not too high on anyway. If he was, he would have offered him a full rather than a partial. So saying outrecruited may not be totally accurate if you don't know all of the details.

TP,

Dahill and Oracle obviously have no clue as to what "out recruit" means. To lose out on a player because that player knows she will sit the bench for 2 years rather than play immediately doesn't mean you were outrecruited. There are many reasons why a kid will pick one school rather than another that has no bearing who who did the better recruiting job. And that girl that signed with AAMU said herself, she signed with AAMU because she could play immediately. That definitely had nothing to do with how well AAMU recruited her over JSU or Bama State.

We obviously missed out on a quality player, though.

Robber said:
TP,

Dahill and Oracle obviously have no clue as to what "out recruit" means. To lose out on a player because that player knows she will sit the bench for 2 years rather than play immediately doesn't mean you were outrecruited. There are many reasons why a kid will pick one school rather than another that has no bearing who who did the better recruiting job. And that girl that signed with AAMU said herself, she signed with AAMU because she could play immediately. That definitely had nothing to do with how well AAMU recruited her over JSU or Bama State.

Outrecruiting is telling them what you got to tell them to get them to your school.... coaches do it all the time.... I seriously doubt this girl will start at AAMU next year, she may get alot of playing time because Warmley playes everybody with equal minutes... seriously doubt if she starts with what Warmley has coming in this year.

and TP SURE Bell only wanted to offer the qb from Mobile a partial.. you lie more than anyone on this board. So on your biggest recruiting weekend of the season you invite players for a visit that you only want to offer a partial??? Bell may be dumber than I thought.

See what happens when you give these lil' programs a shade of recognition? One little article and the fans think they're ready for UCONN. I could have been posting articles about JSU's signees over the past few months.

For the record, Coach Taylor did not offer the young lady from E. Okta.....Oktibe......Oktibbeha....whatever. If you want to say ASU outrecruited us, then fine.

Yeah, the young lady from Moss Point chose AAMU, but we signed someone in her position back in the fall, who comes from a much more storied HS program and IMHO, a better player. I would question Lett's 4.0 GPA if she chose JSU considering all of this.

But anyway, we did manage to sign a Mich. Top 100 player, Carena Easley, from Inkster HS in Michigan, as well as 6-3 Anitra Robinson from Monroe, LA.

Oracle said:

Who is? How so? Are you serious, or shoud I write this off as smack?

DAHILL said:
So on your biggest recruiting weekend of the season you invite players for a visit that you only want to offer a partial??? Bell may be dumber than I thought.

At a typical school (not AAMU, but a typical school), what do you think is the percentage of players that will come in on a visit without receiving an offer from that school?

Most players come to a school on a visit hoping that they will get an offer when they arrive and talk to the coaches. It is not in the norm for a player to have an offer from a school before he/ she visits.

Tigerpride said:

The number of scholarships JSU has to award is irrelevant in the recruiting game. What is obvious here is that whenever JSU offered a scholarship, it was turned down in favor of AAMU or Bama State. Those recruits wanted to go to a basketball school. Right now, as far as recruiting goes, it seems that AAMU is at the top of the pole, and Bama State is a rung or two down. It looks like JSU may be quite a few rungs below Bama State.

Oracle said:
The number of scholarships JSU has to award is irrelevant in the recruiting game. What is obvious here is that whenever JSU offered a scholarship, it was turned down in favor of AAMU or Bama State. Those recruits wanted to go to a basketball school. Right now, as far as recruiting goes, it seems that AAMU is at the top of the pole, and Bama State is a rung or two down. it looks llike JSU may be a quite a few rungs below Bama State.

OK. Now it has become quite obvious that you have some hidden agenda regarding JSU. Man I've never seen so much nonsense in so few words.

Robber said:
TP,

Robber:
Surely, you know that athletes will go to a school and sit on the bench for a year or two if they really wanted to play at that school. They do it all the time. Think of all the girls sitting on the bench at Tennessee. They probably could have started if they had gone to school with less talent.

The same is true with JSU. If Lett had wanted to go to JSU, she would have gone there and tried to win some playing time. All of the kids think they are good enough to start anyway. I don't think the lack of immediate playing time is a deterrent to a player who wants to go to a particular school. Furthermore, an athlete that could get an offer from a team that wins championships would probably accept that offer even if it means less playing time.

Common sense, and an understanding of an athlete's mentality, will tell you that an athletes actually pick schools because the athletes want to play at those schools or for those coaches. If the athletes give any other reasons, the reasons are usually nothing but flush.

My guess is that Lett just wanted to play for the AAMU coach. That coach convinced her to come to a program that is obviously on the rise, rather than going to the teams that are currently at the top. It took more selling for our coach to get the girl than it would have taken Bama State or JSU. That is why it is clear that AAMU outrecruited Bama State and JSU.

LS Syndicate said:
See what happens when you give these lil' programs a shade of recognition? One little article and the fans think they're ready for UCONN. I could have been posting articles about JSU's signees over the past few months.

For the record, Coach Taylor did not offer the young lady from E. Okta.....Oktibe......Oktibbeha....whatever. If you want to say ASU outrecruited us, then fine.

Yeah, the young lady from Moss Point chose AAMU, but we signed someone in her position back in the fall, who comes from a much more storied HS program and IMHO, a better player. I would question Lett's 4.0 GPA if she chose JSU considering all of this.

But anyway, we did manage to sign a Mich. Top 100 player, Carena Easley, from Inkster HS in Michigan, as well as 6-3 Anitra Robinson from Monroe, LA.

Who is? How so? Are you serious, or shoud I write this off as smack?

Some of your recruits look good, especially the Michigan girl. But you have missed our point. We were pointing out that JSU lost out on head-to-head recruiting with AAMU and Bama State. I don't know, but maybe you can tell me if any of your recruits were recruited by AAMU or Bama State, and chose JSU over those schools.

Oracle said:
Some of your recruits look good, especially the Michigan girl. But you have missed our point. We were pointing out that JSU lost out on head-to-head recruiting with AAMU and Bama State. I don't know, but maybe you can tell me if any of your recruits were recruited by AAMU or Bama State, and chose JSU over those schools.

I admitted that we lost out on Lett, but like I said before, a lot went into her decision.......she said she signed w/ AAMU b/c she feels she can play immediately. She said that, so it would be farfetched to assume that she signed for some other reason. We did not lose out to ASU b/c we didn't offer that girl. We just showed interest, as we did with a ton of other girls in MS.

If you notice, almost all of our recruits were from out-of-state: LA, MI etc. I doubt that they were being recruited by other SWAC schools. Anitra Robinson was heavily recruited by UL-Monroe and McNeese, I believe.

As for our in-state recruit, Shaneeka Jones (Jackson- Murrah), we were her only offer that I know of. She's playing the same position that we planned on playing Lett at. Jones will be redshirted. Lett, too, had she signed with us.

Now we only have one more scholly on the table, and we are holding it for a certain JUCO player. If one of you sign her, then I'll say you outrecruited us. Until then, just say you've signed a good class. We weren't recruiting any other girl AAMU or ASU signed. There were no head-to-head recruiting battles, as you claim other than Lett. She would have been a nice coup, but no one is crying over her in Jackson.

LS Syndicate said:
I admitted that we lost out on Lett, but like I said before, a lot went into her decision.......she said she signed w/ AAMU b/c she feels she can play immediately. She said that, so it would be farfetched to assume that she signed for some other reason. We did not lose out to ASU b/c we didn't offer that girl. We just showed interest, as we did with a ton of other girls in MS.

If you notice, almost all of our recruits were from out-of-state: LA, MI etc. I doubt that they were being recruited by other SWAC schools. Anitra Robinson was heavily recruited by UL-Monroe and McNeese, I believe.

As for our in-state recruit, Shaneeka Jones (Jackson- Murrah), we were her only offer that I know of. She's playing the same position that we planned on playing Lett at. Jones will be redshirted. Lett, too, had she signed with us.

Now we only have one more scholly on the table, and we are holding it for a certain JUCO player. If one of you sign her, then I'll say you outrecruited us. Until then, just say you've signed a good class. We weren't recruiting any other girl AAMU or ASU signed. There were no head-to-head recruiting battles, as you claim other than Lett. She would have been a nice coup, but no one is crying over her in Jackson.
I doubt if the Lett girl even play this year... She is probably the 4th best player out of this recruiting class... I doubt if she can run the show better than Malone from Athens... AAMU now has 3 players from Athens High. Athens High was nationally ranked and won a state record 72 straight games and 3 straight state championships.. We signed the runner up to Ms Basketball in the state of Alabama and Class 5a Player of the Year Christine Scales from Athens also.. she chose AAMU over Alabama, Auburn, and Mississippi State.... Then we pick up the two time 3a player of the year in Alabama.. (3a girls basketball is TOUGHER than 6a basketball in this state) who averages 24 points on a state championship team. Coach Warmley is going after not only talented players, but talented players off of State Championship teams. When we get all of Parham's players out... this team is going to be special.

Oracle said:
But you have missed our point. We were pointing out that JSU lost out on head-to-head recruiting with AAMU and Bama State. I don't know, but maybe you can tell me if any of your recruits were recruited by AAMU or Bama State, and chose JSU over those schools.

Coach Denise Taylor and her staff are still busy at work trying to finalize this year's recruiting class, which already includes 5-9 wing player Carena Easley of Romulus, Mich., Murrah forward Shaneka Jones and Anita Robinson, a post player from Monroe.

The Lady Tigers are also in the running for guard Teresa Reynolds, who averaged a nation-leading 29.8 points per game this past season at Malcolm X Junior College in Chicago. She is scheduled to visit JSU Wednesday after missing her flight the first time she was scheduled to visit.

Taylor is also looking to land a 5-11 forward from Nigeria and a 5-11 guard from Australia.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040509/SPORTS030101/405090350/1073

You didn't recruit Easley. Nor Jones, nor Robinson. I'll go out on a limb and say no other SWAC coach is recruiting in Chicago, Africa or Australia.

So again, how are we losing out to the Bamas? You signed one girl who chose AAMU over JSU and ASU b/c of the lack of competition to play early. That's it.

So what point am I missing?

LS Syndicate said:
Coach Denise Taylor and her staff are still busy at work trying to finalize this year's recruiting class, which already includes 5-9 wing player Carena Easley of Romulus, Mich., Murrah forward Shaneka Jones and Anita Robinson, a post player from Monroe.

The Lady Tigers are also in the running for guard Teresa Reynolds, who averaged a nation-leading 29.8 points per game this past season at Malcolm X Junior College in Chicago. She is scheduled to visit JSU Wednesday after missing her flight the first time she was scheduled to visit.

Taylor is also looking to land a 5-11 forward from Nigeria and a 5-11 guard from Australia.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040509/SPORTS030101/405090350/1073

You didn't recruit Easley. Nor Jones, nor Robinson. I'll go out on a limb and say no other SWAC coach is recruiting in Chicago, Africa or Australia.

So again, how are we losing out to the Bamas? You signed one girl who chose AAMU over JSU and ASU b/c of the lack of competition to play early. That's it.

So what point am I missing?

You should be glad that Coach Taylor had somewhere to go and find some players. If she had to continuously go head-to-head with AAMU, you would have had more results like the one you had with the Lett girl.

Oracle said:
You should be glad that Coach Taylor had somewhere to go and find some players. If she had to continuously go head-to-head with AAMU, you would have had more results like the one you had with the Lett girl.

It took you a whole day to respond...........and that's it?

Yeah, that's right. We are sooo afraid of big, bad AAMU. What a powerhouse. :rolleyes:

And how did you fare against us on the court this year? Dude, AAMU is not a threat to us.

DAHILL said:
you cant just replace a 6'7 girl... that was the tallest female i think I have ever seen in person.

You may wanna make a few trips to the Acadome next season. 6'8" from the "Mother Land"....and she's not a "project" is all i'm gonna say. :ebrow:

Back