A Letter from Dr. Ronald Mason regarding Southern University position

BG

http://jacksonstate.wordpress.com/2...mason-regarding-southern-university-position/

A Letter from Dr. Ronald Mason regarding Southern University position
By jacksonstate

Dear Jacksonians,

Many of you are aware that I am the top rated of three finalists for the Presidency of the Southern University System. On April 30 the Southern Board will make the final selection. If selected I will accept the position.

Belinda and I have struggled with determining what to do. On the one hand, for the past ten years we have been part of a family that has enhanced JSU’s prominence among HBCUs. National rankings, a beautiful campus, a much improved graduation rate, research preeminence and athletic dominance have become the norm for JSU. The early years were challenging, but the hardest work is done. The easy path would be to stay and build on the successes of the past 10 years.

However a combination of factors has affected our decision. Although we receive periodic requests to become involved in presidential searches, we have never been interested. The one exception was Howard University, because it is the flagship HBCU and critically important to black higher education. Southern is the second.

First, much as was the case with JSU, Southern is a challenge we did not seek; in many ways it sought us. We have always believed that God sets the course and we have an obligation to follow it. Second, Baton Rouge is closer to our parents, who are requiring increasing attention with age and illness. Third, Southern is a system of institutions that, if properly organized and operated, offers great potential for the cause that we serve, which is to help improve the condition of Black people through Historically Black Institutions of higher learning.

Please understand that I am only one of three highly qualified candidates. My selection is by no means a certainty. However I felt it only fair to let you know in advance what would happen if I am selected.

Belinda and I have great love and admiration for the JSU family. We will go where duty calls. If that is Southern, then we will respond with the best of our ability. If it is not Southern, then we hope that we can continue to be part of the team that will push JSU to even greater levels of prominence in the future.

We thank you for your consideration, understanding and patience.

Ronald Mason, Jr.
President
Jackson State University

He woudl have only come out with this letter IF he knew he was being chosen....

Right. He must already have his bags packed and was like, "I won't have time to write this on Friday". :lol:

From the moment he was mentioned, we figured he was the front-runner. If SU wanted Haynes, they never would have approached Mason at the last minute.

Just watched the LIVE video on the votes...
darn near a UNANIMOUS vote for MASON. (14/2)

MASON is SU's New System Pres. CONGRATS!

Last edited:

Another reason for Ronald Mason's jump to Southern University could be that in 2007, he earned a salary package worth $305,000.00 at JSU, while Ralph Slaughter earned a salary package worth $436,000.00 at SU, highest among HBCUs at that time. Other reasons: SU is a university system that includes five campuses, each with its own chancellor, among which are SU-Baton Rouge, SU- New Orleans, SU-Shreveport, SU Law Center, and SU Agriculture Center. The five chancellors are each the equivalency of the JSU presidency. Southern has its own governing board which governs only SU's five campuses, while JSU is one of many seperate entities governed by the Mississippi College Board. Southern is historically and universally regarded as one of the more attractive HBCUs at which either to lead, to coach, or to matriculate, and is ummatched among SWAC institutions. Baton Rouge is one of the south's up and coming cities, listed as a leader in most economic activity catergories by several business magazines. Baton Rouge's metropolitan area population has mushroom to nearly 800,000, while the Jackson area metro population has seen much slower growth. Baton Rouge has a more attractive business climate and the better the business, the better the opportunity for local business dollars to flow to university cofers. In 2010, SU will have the highest admisisons standards among SWAC universities and among most other HBCUs in the south (not sure if that is a good thing).

Last edited:
Congrats to Dr. Mason becoming the new president of the Southern University System, not SU-Baton Rouge. He has been a strong, organized leader and asset at JSU these last 10 years and I am sad to see him go. I wish he and his family best wishes and hope that Jackson State will continue her rise in academics, athletics, and servic with a new progressive, organized, and innovative president at her helm.

Another reason for Ronald Mason's jump to Southern University could be that in 2007, he earned a salary package worth $305,000.00 at JSU, while Ralph Slaughter earned a salary package worth $436,000.00 at SU, highest among HBCUs at that time. Other reasons: SU is a university system that includes five campuses, each with their own chancellors, among which are SU-Baton Rouge, SU- New Orleans, SU-Shreveport, SU Law Center, and SU Agriculture Center. The five chancellors are each the equivalency of the JSU presidency. Southern has its own governing board which governs only SU's five campuses, while JSU is one of many seperate entities governed by the Mississippi College Board. Southern is historically and universally regarded as one of the more attractive HBCUs at which either to lead, to coach, or to matriculate, and is ummatched among SWAC institutions. Baton Rouge is one of the south's up and coming cities, listed as a leader in most economic activity catergories by several business magazines. Baton Rouge's metropolitan area population has mushroom to nearly 800,000, while the Jackson area metro population has seen much slower growth. Baton Rouge has a more attractive business climate and the better the business, the better the opportunity for local business dollars to flow to university cofers. In 2010, SU will have the highest admisisons standards among SWAC universities and among most other HBCUs in the south (not sure if that is a good thing).

The ONLY important thing you said that led to Mason's departure is that he will be Prez of a system. That is a very unique opportunity and no one at JSU is mad at him for taking it. It is very doubtful he would have considered being President at any of the SU system schools. I don't know where the System President lives but Mason's daughter lives and works in BR. Also, he and his wife will be moving back "home" near their aging parents. I don't personally think anything else you said was truly a factor. I think this is a good retirment job for Mason.

The ONLY important thing you said that led to Mason's departure is that he will be Prez of a system. That is a very unique opportunity and no one at JSU is mad at him for taking it. It is very doubtful he would have considered being President at any of the SU system schools. I don't know where the System President lives but Mason's daughter lives and works in BR. Also, he and his wife will be moving back "home" near their aging parents. I don't personally think anything else you said was truly a factor. I think this is a good retirment job for Mason.

Nah everything he said is important. He will make more money, live in a progressive city, have better local business leaders to offer support, and he will be over a system. All of those things would factor into someone making a job change.

Nah everything he said is important. He will make more money, live in a progressive city, have better local business leaders to offer support, and he will be over a system. All of those things would factor into someone making a job change.

The main factor was being over SU's system. He wouldn't have left JSU to be over the SU-Baton Rouge despite the advantages of Baton Rouge as a larger city. Well maybe he would've now, only because of how the "Jacobs State" debacle played out and he needed an escape plan. But Jackson as a city is primed for growth. Unlike SU which exists almost on the outskirts of Baton Rouge, JSU is THE school in Jackson. Our downtown area is rapidly developing and JSU is at the center of it all - literally and figuratively.

Truthfully, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who's sad about Mason leaving now. 3-4 years ago it was a different story. But I really believe he's gone as far as he can go at JSU. Most of his plans have come or are coming to fruition. It was all downhill from here. He had a great 10 year run - now its time for both sides to move on.

Last edited:
Back