5 years ago on today's date:

yvette23

I received my BA in English from Alabama State University May 10, 1997, around the same time of day as this post.

My question for those of you who are no longer in college is: do you ever look back and wished that perhaps you had done some things differently?

Don't get me wrong.........I had sooooooo much fun at ASU and there are plenty of times I wish I could go back and do it all over again!! :lol: But there are times that I feel that I didn't really accomplish much after graduation........I'm not working in my related field at all; I ended up in Information Technology because of the money and I had some experience.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I am trying to build my career, but I don't know where to start; some people say I should stay in IT because of the money and the constant growth and change in Technology; but I majored in English for a reason and that is because I enjoy literature. Even though I work in IT, I am currently working on certification to teach English in middle/high school in the event of a layoff or if I decide to go postal!! :lol:

What do you think? :confused:

I think that is a very good idea, if you really want to teach. There are so many people (even in my building) who are here because they "had bills to pay." That is not the reason someone should go into teaching. A ninja can go to work flipping burgers and pay some bills.

The only thing I could see myself doing differently after college is going immediately to grad school. I wish I had started sooner. I could be finished now, instead of trying to start in the fall.

Oh well, better late than never, I guess.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If.....

If I had started into engineering like I wanted to, I would have all the certifications that I'm now trying to get. Instead, I went through the Telecommunications route. Wasted all that time by not going through it the hard way.

I could be Director of Engineers at this company by now if I had only did it the right way..... This thread has made me depressed....:(

Yvette,

I think it's a great idea. U should follow your dreams and your heart. If English and Teaching is where your heart truly lies, then that's what you should do. Hell, at least you know what you wanna do. I'm still trying to figure that one out after almost 10 years past my graduation date.....:smh:

Me too!!!

Originally posted by Vinita
The only thing I could see myself doing differently after college is going immediately to grad school. I wish I had started sooner.

Who you telling??? :lol: I'm still kicking myself in da azz for that!! :lol: Some of my high school classmates already received their Ph.d's.....I feel so shame sometimes!! :smh:

Re: Me too!!!

Originally posted by yvette23

Who you telling??? :lol: I'm still kicking myself in da azz for that!! :lol: Some of my high school classmates already received their Ph.d's.....I feel so shame sometimes!! :smh:

You sound like me! The other night, I met a Soror of mine for drinks, and we were with some of her friends from the district she used to work in. I was the only one at the table that was not a counselor or an assistant principal. I got home and told Sperm, "This isht don't make NO dayum sense. I know good and well, I am at least as smart as they are! I'm going to school in the fall!"

I don't know if I'll go as far as a Ph.D, though. Maybe when my babies are older.

I feel'ya Yvette

I majored in Business Administration(B.S Degree 1991). I'm the Accountant for Georgia Dept.of Motor Vehicle Safety(I manage the Accounting Department)so I'm working in my field. However, I'm in a career I dont really love; what I really love is Music; I should've majored in Music and became a band director. Band is what I truly love and the key to being happy in your career is doing something you love.

Re: I feel'ya Yvette

Originally posted by PsiSnake
I majored in Business Administration(B.S Degree 1991). I'm the Accountant for Georgia Dept.of Motor Vehicle Safety(I manage the Accounting Department)so I'm working in my field.

Dayum, Snake!!! I didn't know that!! :eek:

*thinking, dayum.....maybe Snake need to be my unborn baby daddy!! *:idea:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
I'm still trying to figure that one out after almost 10 years past my graduation date.....:smh:

Dayum........DTOWN its been ten years! Girl you getting up there ;) :D :lmao:

Actually Yvette if that is what you want to do then follow your heart. Todays Schools and its system is laced with all sorts of problems, and todays teachers are carrying alot. They get little support from parents and administration, and everyone knows pay has always been an issue. I salute all teachers but I will never enter in a classroom without combat gear and a bottle of gin.

Re: Re: I feel'ya Yvette

Originally posted by yvette23

Dayum, Snake!!! I didn't know that!! :eek:

*thinking, dayum.....maybe Snake need to be my unborn baby daddy!! *:idea:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

**faints**

Not really. Computers was what I was good at and that is what I do now. Now, I am bored of it. I am currently looking into Real Estate.

Wow I could write a book on this subject...In fact I'm thinking about it. I agree with everyone's sentiment so far. Yeah Nita, it's never too late. Just decide it's what you want to do and do it. Don't worry about being ashamed, just think of it as not everyone grows the same. You may be a little behind, but look at what you have as opposed to those other ladies.

yvette, DON'T MESS WITH SNAKE!!!! naw, seriously...follow your dreams. If that's what you truly want, go for it!! Make yourself happy and you'll truly be a success. Success is truly doing what you enjoy!!

Dtown, Lord I feel ya....I've been out 15 oopps I mean 16 as of tomorrow years and I'm still off track. Well I was on track at first, had to detour and now I honestly don't know what I want to do. I just know I don't want work where I am any more and I not so sure I still like my field.

But basically folks, I think I'm a little older than some of you (shut up Nita Lynn!!!) and I can tell you what I told my son just the other day. Don't worry about the past, there's nothing you can do to change it, concentrate on the present and future. There are a lot of things we all "could have been", but focus your energy on who you are and what you would like to be. It's never too late.....

Well I made it through this without getting depressed, I guess my advice must be working!!!:idea:

One last note: truth be told, sometimes I get ashamed and depressed around you guys....:bawling:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
hhmmmm

Yvette,
girl follow your heart...ain't nothing like going to work everyday hating it...or praying yourself outta going 'postal' on somebody.

If teaching will make you wake up every morning and eagerly get ready for work...anticipating the day ahead...then go for it...the bills will get paid (just adjust your budget like-wise....)

I can say I am not doing what I love and sometimes I come into work and sit at my desk thinking of what to say in my resignation letter...sum-tin like UCKF ALL YALLS!!! I'M OUTTA HERE!!! :rolleyes: :redhot:

....sometimes I call my mom and just say PRAY...RIGHT NOW B-FO I CUSS SOMEBODY O-U-T!!! sum wht peeps can push u to that...

anyway...above all BE TRUE TO SELF and do what makes YOU happy..

okay that's my 2-cents:rolleyes:

Welll as for me, it will be nearly 4 years since I received my B.S. degree in Engineering from Central. If I had to do it agian, I would have taken advantage of the co-ops and internships at my school and been better off. :(

But since I have a knack for computers, I went to a computer school to learn more. As of now, I'm preparing for the certifications and hopefully grad school. :)

It would be one year tommorow, that I graduated from PV
(BS. Health)

I am not doing anything that I want to do. If I had to do again, I would have followed my dream to become an airline pilot. I am having fun in grad school, however it isn't my dream! Everyone has told that I should be happy with my current job. Indeed I am happy , but I am so sick of people telling me what I should do as far as MY career is concerned.

Do what you love!!!!

When I was in college, Mass Communications was the hot major. Everywhere you looked there were mass communications majors. I even considered changing my major to Mass communication since all the "hot" jobs were in this market. Well as the cycle goes, there was such a glut of Mass Communication majors flooding the market, that great deal of students in this field could not find a job when they graduated. The latest trend has been computer technology. Now with the layoff for computer personnel, the people graduating in this field have slim pickings.

What this means is find a career that fits you, not try to fit the "hot" career of today. Otherwise you will always shortchange somebody---yourself, your boss, your life.

Good Luck!

Back