4yr old Girl is Suspect in Murder.....

Taylor-Made'90

I'm 'Citrix SSO' batch!!!
This story is from today's Clarion-Ledger Newspaper in Jackson..I'm posting it because I know the father, Alfred...I'm still not believing this..:eek2:

Father speculates jealousy led to assault on child's brother:smh:

Jackson police believe one of the city's latest homicides was committed by a 4-year-old, perhaps Mississippi's youngest killer ever.

"I can't think of any case where a suspect was 4," said Jackson police spokesman Robert Graham. "We're consulting with the district attorney's office and trying to decide what steps to take next."

The state Department of Human Services has intervened in the case in which authorities say the 4-year-old girl beat her 2-month-old brother, Alfred Griffin Jr., to death.

Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart said an autopsy showed Alfred died of multiple skull fractures, and he had abrasions, bites and scratches on his face.

She found injuries consistent with the baby's head being hit with a brick.

The child's 22-year-old father, Alfred Griffin Sr., said he found the baby unconscious sometime before 1 a.m. Monday.

"I saw the bite marks on his jaw," Griffin said. "I put him up to me and he wasn't breathing. I just panicked and started hollering."

Griffin said that on Tuesday the state Department of Human Services came to the house he shares with his fiancee, Felicia Jackson, and took custody of the 4-year-old and three other children, ages 6, 7 and 9.

"I was crying. They were crying," Griffin said.

Hinds County District Attorney Faye Peterson said the killing was "extremely violent and suspicious behavior for a child."

"My first question in this case is, 'So what's been going on in the household?' " she said.

DHS officials are investigating if there was any neglect in the household or if there was a failure to monitor children, she said.

Griffin said the children were sleeping in the living room of their house at 6583 George Washington Drive when he went to bed Sunday night. His fiancee was not at home.

Griffin said he got up later to change the baby's diaper and found that his son was not breathing.

His 9-year-old step-son told him he had tried to wake Griffin up because the 4-year-old had been bothering the baby, he said.

Griffin said he woke the children's grandmother, who also lives in the home, and they called 911.

What could possibly prompt a child so young to commit such a violent act is left to speculation.

Griffin said his 4-year-old daughter may have been jealous of the baby.

Griffin said his daughter sometimes gave him menacing looks when he played with the infant. "All new and young parents should watch for these things," he said.

He also said he remembers her reaction when he brought home a stroller and play pen for the baby.

"She said, 'You didn't buy these things for me,' " Griffin said. "What she was telling me, that hurt. I wasn't able to do that with her."

Peterson questioned where a 4-year-old could learn such violent behavior. "It may have been something the 4-year-old saw on TV," she said.

"I don't believe a child naturally grows that way, actually kills so young. I'm just shocked by it."

Chester Quarles, professor of criminal justice at the University of Mississippi, also wonders about influences.

"In all probability, the 4-year-old had been exposed to violence and was acting out what (she) had observed during (her) short lifetime," he said.

Peterson said it's too early to tell whether criminal charges, such as neglect, will ever be filed against any adults. "We may or may not be able to charge anyone," she said.

Under the law, prosecutors are barred from prosecuting any child under 10 because children are unable to appreciate the fact they've committed a crime.

"Generally, (competency) is an issue for children," Peterson said. "They're still living in the world of fantasy."

Experts say there have been killings committed by children as young as 4, but such cases are extremely rare.

In Flint, Mich., in 2000, a 6-year-old fatally shot a female classmate a day after the two had fought on the playground. The child was believed to be the youngest murder suspect in Michigan history.

The 6-year-old was never charged, but the adult from whom he had gotten the gun was later convicted of criminal negligence.

Later that year, an 11-year-old boy in Pontiac, Mich., was charged with killing an 18-year-old, making him one of the youngest people in U.S. history charged as an adult with first-degree murder.

While it seems there are more news stories lately on children killing children, Jack Levin, director of Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Violence, said statistics show no increase in killings by children under 14.

"The entire increase that we saw in the murder rate attributable to juveniles has been an increase in teenage murderers," he said. "Below 14, there's been no increase at all."

But there's no question a 4-year-old who expresses his anger in such deadly fashion needs profound therapy, he said.

"Where does that come from?" he asked. "It could be faulty wiring, or it could be a terrible experience in early childhood."

The question about such treatment is how effective it would prove, he said. "This extreme loss of temper is so rare we don't really have a track record to deal with it effectively."

Ain't it sad??

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Wow

This is sad! Jealousy within children is common especially when a new born is thrown in the mix, but it is unusual for children to show this type of violent behavior. I have to deal with this every day with my young sons, but Thank GOD it's not to this extreme. My Prayers are with this family

This is horrible. What kind of environment does a kid grow up in that harbors that much jealousy and violence???

I know that when I was born and my mother brought me home. My sister really hated me. My mom said that one day she laid my in my crib and went somewhere only to return with me hollering at the top of my lungs. She said that I had turned red (being very light skinned) in the face. She asked my sister (who was 5 years old) what happened to me. My sister said that she did not know. My mom looked at me and found teeth marks on my fingers. Said that my sister had almost biten my fingers to the bone and my fingers were just as red as my face. Now, my and my sister is trump tight!

Taylor Made:

You say you know the father. PLEASE let him and the child's mother know that they have support during this time of crisis. We can't do anything further for the deceased child, but we can help the parents and the siblings.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame TV, either, because jealous children act in that way with or without TV; it's almost a survival instinct. This child is going to have a very, very difficult time as she matures. My heart goes out to that entire family.

Originally posted by sophandros
Taylor Made:
I wouldn't be so quick to blame TV, either, because jealous children act in that way with or without TV; it's almost a survival instinct.

I agree. You dont have to learn how to be jealous from watchin tv. And jealous spawn some of the craziest things.

That sounds like faulty wiring. This is so sad, they really need to get that little girls some serious help and fast.:smh:

After I read the story, I tried to call, but of course, I couldn't get through. I called one of my padnuhs in Jackson, who'd talked to him.....

It seems the Child Services came and removed the other children from the house. And they're all being questioned by the authorities, without them being there. And that's what's killing Al now.

:confused:

But I don't know whether he's gotten a lawyer, or not. I don't think he'd be charged with anything, but I think he'll need some form of legal counsel (for his children's sake)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
After I read the story, I tried to call, but of course, I couldn't get through. I called one of my padnuhs in Jackson, who'd talked to him.....

It seems the Child Services came and removed the other children from the house. And they're all being questioned by the authorities, without them being there. And that's what's killing Al now.

:confused:

But I don't know whether he's gotten a lawyer, or not. I don't think he'd be charged with anything, but I think he'll need some form of legal counsel (for his children's sake)

He needs to get a lawyer to be on the safe side and to be able to retain custody of his children.

I don't know how I would handle this situation if I were in his shoes. It bothers me enough to hear about little ones going through this.

Believe it--I was once was the 4 yr old girl except I was 3. My mother had gotten pneumonia once so I ended up with my god-mother for like a week or so. My mother said I had gotten so attached that I didn't want to leave, and my godmother (some of u TSPN may know her from Amanda Elzy High in greenwood--she recently passed and was over the majorettes) had no problem with it all. My g-mother said I had gotten so attached to her husband I didnt want her to sleep in the bed with him. She had a baby girl shortly after. She said I was over their house one day and I went in her daughter's room and climbed on her crib and was smothering her daughter with a pillow. She said they heard muffled cries and they were thinking something must have gotten over in the crib or something. She said when they came in I still was being prissy and told them "I'm your BABY!" She said they didnt whip me b/c they were so in shock and skerd. But she called my mother over to get me who of course tagged my ash. My cousin and I get along great now and actually laff about it, although growing up we did have a few senseless spats.

So, I truly believe that maybe the girl was filled with rage and jealous and handled it the way her 4 yr old mind told her

I hope everything works out for the family

Originally posted by SouthernDiva4ya
Believe it--I was once was the 4 yr old girl except I was 3. My mother had gotten pneumonia once so I ended up with my god-mother for like a week or so. My mother said I had gotten so attached that I didn't want to leave, and my godmother (some of u TSPN may know her from Amanda Elzy High in greenwood--she recently passed and was over the majorettes) had no problem with it all. My g-mother said I had gotten so attached to her husband I didnt want her to sleep in the bed with him. She had a baby girl shortly after. She said I was over their house one day and I went in her daughter's room and climbed on her crib and was smothering her daughter with a pillow. She said they heard muffled cries and they were thinking something must have gotten over in the crib or something. She said when they came in I still was being prissy and told them "I'm your BABY!" She said they didnt whip me b/c they were so in shock and skerd. But she called my mother over to get me who of course tagged my ash. My cousin and I get along great now and actually laff about it, although growing up we did have a few senseless spats.

So, I truly believe that maybe the girl was filled with rage and jealous and handled it the way her 4 yr old mind told her

I hope everything works out for the family

Ummmm........I was just reading your sig and ummmmmmm...........You scare me! :scared:

KINDERGARDEN JAIL!!! Force her lil dumb arse to learn how to read and write 23 hours out of the day.

LOL

Originally posted by cat daddy

Where would you lock her up???

Back