4,000 TxSu Students Admitted Did Not Meet Admissions Standards

those open admissions standards basically created the monster community college systems in Texas that now have 30K students and expanding all over town while HBCU enrollment has remain stagnated. Those same CC systems then linked up with the Big state schools and removed the stigma of attending a CC showing you can go to a popular school from there.

Now those schools are slowly beginning to offer 4 year degrees which basically is a nail in the coffin and they are cheaper and appeal to a wider variety of folks/races. AND they get high school kids to do dual enrollment to get credit before they even graduate high school.

in the older days you got a significant chunk of folks, especially blacks, from there to come to you first.

and from what I hear in Houston CC enrollment is off the charts at this moment and HBCU and even University of Hosuton enrollment? nevermind...

not all rules benefit us like they make you believe

those open admissions standards basically created the monster community college systems in Texas that now have 30K students and expanding all over town while HBCU enrollment has remain stagnated. Those same CC systems then linked up with the Big state schools and removed the stigma of attending a CC showing you can go to a popular school from there.

Now those schools are slowly beginning to offer 4 year degrees which basically is a nail in the coffin and they are cheaper and appeal to a wider variety of folks/races. AND they get high school kids to do dual enrollment to get credit before they even graduate high school.

in the older days you got a significant chunk of folks, especially blacks, from there to come to you first.

and from what I hear in Houston CC enrollment is off the charts at this moment and HBCU and even University of Hosuton enrollment? nevermind...

not all rules benefit us like they make you believe

But those CCs don't offer the traditional college experience that TSU does which most people want so TSU is still a valuable product. The overwhelming majority of the students TSU admits should start at a CC first anyway and transfer to save money and get acclimated to college life anyway. TSU has partnerships with local CCs so I feel it's a win-win. TSU graduation rate & reputation improve and students save a lot of money (TSU is expensive). Obviously many of the students TSU give a chance to don't take it seriously .... TSU needs to focus less on enrollment and more on retention.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
But those CCs don't offer the traditional college experience that TSU does which most people want so TSU is still a valuable product. The overwhelming majority of the students TSU admits should start at a CC first anyway and transfer to save money and get acclimated to college life anyway. TSU has partnerships with local CCs so I feel it's a win-win. TSU graduation rate & reputation improve and students save a lot of money (TSU is expensive). Obviously many of the students TSU give a chance to don't take it seriously .... TSU needs to focus less on enrollment and more on retention.

the CC don't offer anything honestly but a cheap alternative but they are a threat. Time they come to you as a junior are they going to be really invested in the university compared to a freshman who passes through 4 years.

With smaller enrollment retention is everything but you take on more students consistently retention isnt as bad.

We got caught up in the retention thing in the mid 2000s and stagnated growth while CC's began to explode and University of Houston started dropping satellite campuses to take away even more students and ship students to those campuses to boost their numbers.

TSU was 11K in the 90s

the CC don't offer anything honestly but a cheap alternative but they are a threat. Time they come to you as a junior are they going to be really invested in the university compared to a freshman who passes through 4 years.

With smaller enrollment retention is everything but you take on more students consistently retention isnt as bad.

We got caught up in the retention thing in the mid 2000s and stagnated growth while CC's began to explode and University of Houston started dropping satellite campuses to take away even more students and ship students to those campuses to boost their numbers.

TSU was 11K in the 90s

TSU was 10K+ in the 00s as well, especially the year of Katrina. I don't see them as a real threat because they don't offer the traditional college experience, family ties, or strong network TSU does. But that's just my opinion.

The band fan is right HBCUS better start thinking outside the box.
All CC in Charlotte by 2022 and the Upstate of SC(Gville Tech, Spartanburg CC, Spartanburg Methodist-Juco) are slated to offer BA AND BS in 2021 at a much cheaper rate and more access to funding.

CC receives a lot of State and Federal Funding and even though they are offering BA/BS they are still qualified on paper as CC or Tech School.

Not to get off subject, but that is what bothers me about some HBCUS, we have no vison. Most universities now has a 4+1 program where students go an extra year to get their Masters. It has become popular, Yet not many HBCUS do this.

I bring this up because I have been on Southern nursing program about this. 85% of SU- Shreveport ADN students go to NSU, LATECH, or ULM for less then a year to complete a BSN, and I have always said why doesn't the SU system create a online plus one program with the Baton Rouge nursing program for these student for a seamless connection for a BSN..

TSU’s Thurgood Marshall School of Law declared in full compliance

On Monday, August 24, 2020, the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association (“The Council”) announced that Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law (the “Law School”) remains an approved law school, after declaring the school in full compliance with Standard 501(a), a key admissions standard requiring law schools “adopt, publish and adhere to sound admission policies and practices.”

The Council’s decision followed a meeting held on August 13-14, 2020 to consider the status of the Law School regarding its noncompliance with Standard 501(a), per the May 2020 ABA Council finding. In the wake of an ongoing investigation of the Law School’s admissions process which largely contributed to the Law School’s admissions controversy, the Law School took proactive steps to ensure sound admissions policies and procedures were understood and embraced by administration and staff as a critical step in enrolling and admitting a strong cadre of incoming students for AY 2020-21.

Bandfan is on point about the CC's, they busting at the seams here in Mississippi also...dual enrollment has also helps them as well... For the price, it is hard to ague the value....

The band fan is right HBCUS better start thinking outside the box.
All CC in Charlotte by 2022 and the Upstate of SC(Gville Tech, Spartanburg CC, Spartanburg Methodist-Juco) are slated to offer BA AND BS in 2021 at a much cheaper rate and more access to funding.

CC receives a lot of State and Federal Funding and even though they are offering BA/BS they are still qualified on paper as CC or Tech School.

They have been thinking out the box (adding programs not available at CCs). For example, Texas Southern not too long ago added engineering and opened up a brand new state-of-the-art library. Grambling added the first cyber security degree program in Louisiana. SU added the first philanthropic degree program in Louisiana. And many of them have partnerships with CCs.

Trust me, so many kids still wants a traditional college experience. That's why 4,000 students who should've started at a CC, were at TxSU. And in an age of black lives matter and people starting to embrace their blackness even more, most HBCUs should be good. Also a lot of the kids are all about status and it's not cool to rep a community college on social media.

Last edited:
Back