3 HOME Games, PV please explain

LaMont

I just got my BVQ and read it from cover to cover and the thing that I noticed was how these athletic directors sell their teams out by over scheduling them in "classics" and other games. For example, PV, in a year in which they can really show some improvement, only has 3 HOME games. Several other HBCUs are on the road for 5 weeks in a row. The NCAA has to stop this s*it. They need to mandate that each team play a certain amount of home games each year.

LaMont

Sorry, 2 HOME GAMES

How can you have an eleven game schedule with 2 home games? How are you going to build up fan support like that?

Originally posted by LaMont
I just got my BVQ and read it from cover to cover and the thing that I noticed was how these athletic directors sell their teams out by over scheduling them in "classics" and other games. For example, PV, in a year in which they can really show some improvement, only has 3 HOME games. Several other HBCUs are on the road for 5 weeks in a row. The NCAA has to stop this s*it.

LaMont

IN MY INTERVIEW WITH COACH DORSEY HE STATED THAT IN 2001 HE STACKED THE HOME GAMES THAT YEAR BY DESIGN TO IN HOPES TO GET IN THE WINNING MODE. SO IT IS OBVIOUS THAT PV CAN'T HAVE AS MANY HOME GAMES IN 2002. ACTUALLY THEY ONLY HAVE 1 GAME ON THE CAMPUS WHICH IS HOMECOMING AGAINST ALCORN. ACTUALLY YOU CAN GET A FAN BASE BY PLAYING IN CLASSICS AND ALSO CAN GET MONEY FOR THE PROGRAM, WHICH IS KEY.
JUST MY OPINION

In actuality we have 4 official home games w/ only 1 game being played on campus, last year we had 5 home games.

Official Home games

Labor Day Classic/Astrodome - Tx Southern
Lipscomb Classic/Cotton Bowl - Grambling St
Homecoming/Blackshear Field - Alcorn St
Hall of Fame Classic/Reliant Stadium - Southern

A "home game" in another state?

Isn't the Southern game in New Orleans? Please explain how that's a "home game"?

LaMont

*I BELIEVE FIYAH POSTED THAT THE PVU/SU GAME IS IN HOUSTON.

*GSU HAS A HOME GAME IN TEXAS EVERY OTHER YEAR. IT IS POSSIBLE.

I stand corrected

Yes, the Southern game is in Houston; however, to only have one game on campus.....come on. Whose pockets are being lined by going "on the road"?

Originally posted by LaMont
Yes, the Southern game is in Houston; however, to only have one game on campus.....come on. Whose pockets are being lined by going "on the road"?

IT SHOULD BE THE SCHOOLS. I KOW THAT YOU KNOW SCHOOLS GET PAID FOR PLAYING IN CLASSICS. I AM SURE IT IS MUCH MORE THAN MOST SCHOOLS WOULD MAKE AT HOME.
BUT I AM SURE THAT YOU KNOW THIS....RIGHT.
MCCLELAND IS USING THE OLD COLLIE NICHOLSON PR MANUAL.

I don't care if we don't have home games this year. We'll be seen by more fans in the history of the school with the "road" home games. We're playing in Reliant Stadium (new), Nashville, Cotton Bowl, Houston Astrodome, Homecoming, etc.

Since opposing school bands don't like to come to our campus (vice versa) there isn't much atmosphere anyway. If we're gone somewhere big at least we'll have the atmosphere.

Originally posted by Blu Panther
I don't care if we don't have home games this year. We'll be seen by more fans in the history of the school with the "road" home games. We're playing in Reliant Stadium (new), Nashville, Cotton Bowl, Houston Astrodome, Homecoming, etc.

If we're gone somewhere big at least we'll have the atmosphere.

SOMETHING I CAN AGREE WITH YOU ON.

I think this is gonna be good for the school, team, and the students.

More classics equals more money, and it also builds up more fans in different cities due to the exposure that the school is gonna get.

With the scholarship increase next season and the travel schedule this year we will be in good shape to nab potential recruits.

Only game most people came to on capus is homecoming anyway. So we're straight.

Our Athletic Directors is young with alot of energy and has a plan.

Last year, we took advantage of loaded whom schedule that provided us with some home games we could win. We took advantage of this.

We tried to balance this schedule with the additional Classic of Big John Merritt as money game and way to get our name out for exposure as we increase our scholarships to 45- 50 during next Spring recruiting season with Langston and/or Lincoln for an additional.

With the distance of Prairie View A & M from many HBCU outside of our conference members (MEAC, SIAC, CIAA) it is difficult to schedule games against fan friendly opponents. With cost of payouts for the games and past decade of losses we are not able to fill up the stadium enough with out losing money on these games.

Since, we are rebuilding the football program as well as our other athletic programs.

Our first goal was win a couple of games, i.e. non-conference then SWAC games, get some our area alumni back interested in program and evaluate the coaching of athletic programs and make decision on the next, i.e. two year extension for the football coach, new basketball coach, with full scholarships, new baseball coach with additional scholarships.
Check

Second goal was to schedule some money games for scholarship and increase our scholarship budget from outside sources and the institutions budget, i.e. Tennessee State and Paul Quinn, Interim President has budgeted for an increase in scholarship. Check

Third goal was to build a new stadium to allow to move some of the Houston area Classic back on campus to further take advantage of the athletic funding and alumni support as we take Prairie VIew A & M University Athletics back to were it belongs.
Ongoing

Should take place in the next year or two.

Laugh and make small wise time cracks if you want too as you wonder in disbelief. Unfortunately we deserve that for letting the football & baseball program get this far out of control. But we will see how laughs last. I promise you that. We are seriously doing what will be neccessary for our athletic programs to have success in SWAC and beyond. Building the program one step at a time. It will not take long.

I agree with you 100% (did I say that????) . ;)

Seriously, I see your growth and I won't take you lightly. No one should because any team can beat another with the right breaks. No one is above being beaten. Good luck until October 26.

As for only having 1 game on campus, that's not really important since Houston is so close. This makes 3 games within a very short drive. Your 2 games in Dallas are only 4 hours away and I know the stands will be filled for the State Fair Classic. I would think that you'll make more money in these Classics then you would get if you kept your game on campus.

Prairie View will become a plucking ground very soon. Don't expect any of our new hires to stick around for ages. Trust me on that.

The new AD experienced no wins during his tenure as a student and he was a staff accountant at one time. You don't think he knows where some of the money was hiding? Plus, he lost so damn much as a student he could not stand to lose anymore.

Have you ever seen PV "home" field. There is a good reason not to schedule many games there. It seats about 5,000 and looks like a high school field. The visiting side has bleachers, that go up maybe 6 rows. That's it. It is not the surrounding of big time college football. For thier program to look bigtime, they need to play somewhere else. They don't even have a real pressbox.

But with Houston so close, and with a big fan base in Houston, it makes sense to play most of their games there. However, as they put more money into athletics, they can improve their staduim and surroundings and make a great gameday atmosphere out there.

Prairie View: ONE home football game?

So I apologize in advance if I missed any correspondence on here about this, but is Prairie View's stadium being remodeled or something? What is going on? I know it's got to be something out of the ordinary for any school to only have one home game in a season.

In actuality we have 4 official home games w/ only 1 game being played on campus, last year we had 5 home games.

Official Home games

Labor Day Classic/Astrodome - Tx Southern
Lipscomb Classic/Cotton Bowl - Grambling St
Homecoming/Blackshear Field - Alcorn St
Hall of Fame Classic/Reliant Stadium - Southern

we'll be seen by more fans in these stadiums anyway. Plus, we'll have a better payday. It works out for the better. When we get the stronger players next year they'll get a chance to play at home more times and win in frobnt of our fans.

Back