2pt. conversion, know when to use it.

Da_Sperm

I think that the decision to go for 2 with over 12 minutes to go in the 4th changed the game for the Panthers. Going for 2 then and missing it, force them to go for 2 later, again not converting. Had they just kicked the PAT each time, they would have been ahead by 3pts late in the 4th.

I say don't even think about 2pt conversion until you have to use it.

I say do whatever.....and bring on halftime....

janet2.jpg

LMAO:lmao:

Sperm,

They were trying to get to within a FG of tying. Not necessarily a bad decision, but your point is well taken.

I think a worse decision was that timeout they called after they made a big pass play to within the N. E. 20 yard line. They immediately called the TO with about 1:40 left. Being that close to the endzone, they shoulda let the play clock run down to near zero and then call TO. Woulda been about a minute left. They scored a coupla plays later, and time really wouldn't have been an issue. N. E. wouldn't have had nearly as much time to drive for that FG.

And John Kasay kicking that ball out of bounds was pathetic. That kick was worst of all. It guaranteed a N. E. FG.

I agree with Robber. I think it was a good decision. At the time of the first 2 pt. conversion try, Carolina was struggling to score and the opportunity presented itself to come within a field goal to tie. I would have done the same thing if i were coaching them. Remember, it took Carolina almost all of the first half to score their first touchdown with just over one minute left. And then they came out in the third quarter and laid an egg. It wasn't as if points were being scored at will up that point.

Carolina seemed to do everything in it's power to lose that game, from electing to take the ball first to kicking the final kickoff out of bounds. How does a pro kicker manage to do that???

I'm not going to say it was a bad decision, I understand from that the 3 would have put them within field goal range. Here is my point

With 12:30 left in the 4th, the score was

NE 21
Car 16

A field goal would have place them within 3, a PAT would have put them with 4, nothing they are down by 5. I thought any points would keep boost confidence if nothing else.

The Car. defense comes up with an interception and the offense score making the score

NE 21
Car 22

Now they NEED at 2pt conversion to HOPE that they can at least hold NE to a field goal. They get nothing. Had they kicked the PAT both times they would have been up by 3 (24-21).

Crazy comparision, but its like in basketball being down by 20pts early in the fourth quarter. Theres plenty of time left, you don't have to shoot all 3's to get back in the game.

I agree with Sprem. Going for 2 that early was plain crazy. And then to go for it again (after they stopped you the first time) was plain ludicrious. There are chances to take as a HC and that wasnt the time to do it. With nearly an entire quarter to play and you call a stupid call like that. When they came on the field for the 2pt conversion, I was telling my brother that he just lost the game. It was too early for that. :smh:

When Carolina scored and made it 21-16, at that point in the game, the 2pt conversion was exactly the correct decision. If you make the 2pts, you make it a 3 point game. If you kick the extra point you are still down by 4 - still making it necessary to have to score another TD to win. If that would have been the situation in the first half, well yea you kick for the extra point but being that late in the game, and conventional thinking that scoring opportunities are going to be at a minimal, you go for 2 and hope to get back in fg goal position.

Did anyone notice - or maybe everything just got to be overkill and I stopped watching ESPN - but other than Sean Salibury - no one particularly said anything about Kasey kicking the ball out of bounds? They all keep saying how Brady outduelled Delhomme in the end. That out of bounds kick really was the nail in the coffin for the Panthers.

Your offense to that point had only shown flashes. Points weren't coming in bunches at the time. It was the smart play, because although there was still 12 minutes left, the offense hadn't shown it could just drive the field at will and score.

And beans, that 2nd 2pt conversion was a no-brainer, considering that they woulda been up by 3 if they got it. Though, it wouldn't have been necessary but for the 1st one. There's no difference in a one point lead or 2 pt. lead at that point.

Originally posted by HBCUs
Carolina seemed to do everything in it's power to lose that game, from electing to take the ball first

A team will not elect to kick off in the first half if they win the toss. If they kick, the other team still has the choice of what to do with the ball in the second half, and of course they would take it. The rule is different from what it is in college...there is no deferring.

I thought the key in this game and on that very last drive was New England's offensive line really handling up on Carolina's supposed great front four. I'm not sure if any of those defensive linemen ever got their hands on Brady. I know that some of the LBs and DBs got a hand on him when they blitzed but that was it.

Until the Superbowl I had given Brady credit for being cool and calm all season long but with an offensive line that plays so well together, I guess any QB would be cool and calm behind those guys.

Brady doesn't hold the ball long. Their short passing game is predicated on getting rid of it quickly. Just don't have much time to get to him.

Originally posted by Robber
And beans, that 2nd 2pt conversion was a no-brainer, considering that they woulda been up by 3 if they got it. Though, it wouldn't have been necessary but for the 1st one. There's no difference in a one point lead or 2 pt. lead at that point.

Rob, I understand what you are saying. I mean, after the first fluke of a call (1st 2pt conversion) it would seem that he HAD to go for it again. I truly just didnt care for the 1st one. Kick the extra point and be down by four and ask your defense to do something that they really havent been doing all game. (STOP THEM). I knew that they could stop them, if they stopped jumping offsides, stop holding the WRs, and just started playing their game.

And then, that kick out of bounds. ?????????????????? I truly believe that someone got paid alot of money from this game. Somethings just is not adding up.

Originally posted by Robber
Brady doesn't hold the ball long. Their short passing game is predicated on getting rid of it quickly. Just don't have much time to get to him.

I know that they use a short passing game which requires him to get rid of the ball quickly but he was holding onto the ball longer than usual because Carolina's defense had good coverage on his receivers and backs. In fact, a good example of that was on that short drive where they scored that first TD. He picked up a first down on a 12 yard run after he didnt have a receiver to throw the ball to. That was his longest run of the season. Again, Carolina's defensive line was dominated by New England's offensive line and was a non-factor.

I agree, the decision to even go for the 1st 2pt conversion simply meant that if they failed (which they did), they would be forced to go for it later. My point is if they simply kicked the first PAT, then later in the game they would have been up by 3 with another TD and PAT.

At that point the game would have been 24-21 Carolina. Even if NE scores and converts on a 2pt, the score would have been 29-24. Then a TD by Carolina would have put them up by 1pt. So THIS is when they could have been in place to go for the 2pt conversion to make it 32-29 Carolina. A field goal by NE would have sent the game into overtime.

I think the offense was clicking. Delhomme had started to show alot of confidence and began to find a rythme in the 2nd quarter. Early in the 4th was too early to go for 2.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I think the offense was clicking. Delhomme had started to show alot of confidence and began to find a rythme in the 2nd quarter. Early in the 4th was too early to go for 2.

Co-signing again.

Originally posted by jag4life
A team will not elect to kick off in the first half if they win the toss. If they kick, the other team still has the choice of what to do with the ball in the second half, and of course they would take it. The rule is different from what it is in college...there is no deferring.

Thanks for the clarification, J4L.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I agree, the decision to even go for the 1st 2pt conversion simply meant that if they failed (which they did), they would be forced to go for it later. My point is if they simply kicked the first PAT, then later in the game they would have been up by 3 with another TD and PAT.

At that point the game would have been 24-21 Carolina. Even if NE scores and converts on a 2pt, the score would have been 29-24. Then a TD by Carolina would have put them up by 1pt. So THIS is when they could have been in place to go for the 2pt conversion to make it 32-29 Carolina. A field goal by NE would have sent the game into overtime.

I thought it was too early too. The game should not have come down to that kick. Also Carolina should have let the clock run down some more.

Back