2019 Valley football schedule

Is Virginia-Lynchburg trying to become a Football only member with the number of Swac games their playing....

2019 Mississippi Valley State Football Schedule
Day Date Opponent

Sat. Aug. 31 Tennessee State
Sat. Sept. 7 Lamar
Sat. Sept. 21 Bethune-Cookman
Sat. Sept.28 Alcorn State*
Sat. Oct. 5 Virginia-Lynchburg
Sat. Oct. 12 Arkansas-Pine Bluff*
Sat. Oct. 19 Jackson State*
Sat. Oct. 26 Texas Southern*
Sat. Nov. 2 Alabama State*
Sat. Nov. 16 Grambling State*

Sat. Nov. 23 Alabama A&M*
* SWAC game

Is Virginia-Lynchburg trying to become a Football only member with the number of Swac games their playing....

2019 Mississippi Valley State Football Schedule
Day Date Opponent

Sat. Aug. 31 Tennessee State
Sat. Sept. 7 Lamar
Sat. Sept. 21 Bethune-Cookman
Sat. Sept.28 Alcorn State*
Sat. Oct. 5 Virginia-Lynchburg
Sat. Oct. 12 Arkansas-Pine Bluff*
Sat. Oct. 19 Jackson State*
Sat. Oct. 26 Texas Southern*
Sat. Nov. 2 Alabama State*
Sat. Nov. 16 Grambling State*

Sat. Nov. 23 Alabama A&M*
* SWAC game
Not unless they plan on traveling to AL, LA, MS, TX, AR yearly. We really need FAMU and TSU to join but that probably never will happen.

Is Virginia-Lynchburg trying to become a Football only member with the number of Swac games their playing.

It is interesting that they seem to show up on SWAC schedules every year;
I've also seen them on a few MEAC schedules before too.
Last year they played Bethune-Cookman, Hampton and Delaware State

They're aiming for D2 so it's not surprising to see them play 3-4 D1 games a year. They handled FVSU last year so as long as they have their current coach (which won't be long) they should be OK. Glad to get them after a tough Alcorn then see if can make it 4 in a row against UAPB before starting a 4 game home stretch starting with that Oct. 19th game

This may be bold but if I were valley, I’d pick up the phone and call Jerry rice to come back as head coach... imagine the impact.

This may be bold but if I were valley, I’d pick up the phone and call Jerry rice to come back as head coach... imagine the impact.
Get who they want, it still boils down to facilities. And that's not just pointed at MVSU. That's any HBCU. Some just happen to have a little more that the other.

I am always rooting for Valley, but once again, I hate their schedule. Struggling programs that want to create a winning culture must put together a schedule that gives them the best chance to come into conference play with a respectable non conference record. They must put together a “confidence friendly” schedule. That’s the way it goes and it works.

Just ask die hard PVAMU or NCA&T fans what those types of schedule can do for their players and recruiting for the next year and how it helps getting winning culture back going. I remember SU getting bashed for playing Lane or Kentucky State at the time after an under par season, and then went on a championship run once the excitement and confidence was in the air again. In the current FBS ranks, Army’s football program drunk this formula and has become relevant again.

Valley has to get someone around their program that understands this concept. There is a difference in conference play with a traditionally losing program coming in with a 2-2 or 3-1 record rather than bringing a 0-4 record to the table.

Until Valley sees consecutive 7-9 win seasons, the Delta guys need to schedule two lesser division teams, a bottom ranked MEAC program, and 1 FBS-G5 that cuts them a good check.

I am always rooting for Valley, but once again, I hate their schedule. Struggling programs that want to create a winning culture must put together a schedule that gives them the best chance to come into conference play with a respectable non conference record. They must put together a “confidence friendly” schedule. That’s the way it goes and it works.

Just ask die hard PVAMU or NCA&T fans what those types of schedule can do for their players and recruiting for the next year and how it helps getting winning culture back going. I remember SU getting bashed for playing Lane or Kentucky State at the time after an under par season, and then went on a championship run once the excitement and confidence was in the air again. In the current FBS ranks, Army’s football program drunk this formula and has become relevant again.

Valley has to get someone around their program that understands this concept. There is a difference in conference play with a traditionally losing program coming in with a 2-2 or 3-1 record rather than bringing a 0-4 record to the table.

Until Valley sees consecutive 7-9 win seasons, the Delta guys need to schedule two lesser division teams, a bottom ranked MEAC program, and 1 FBS-G5 that cuts them a good check.

Normally I would agree with most of what you say but this OOC is not as daunting as even last year's schedule.

Yeah TSU gets up for HBCUs but overall they have fallen short in the OVC FBS transfers and all. It's gonna be a tough game but not Jacksonville State tough

Lamar is arguably the toughest of the OOC games after 7 wins last year and being a fringe top 25 FCS team. Again they aren't JSU level tough but still a tough game

BCU is always tough but we went to FL and almost walked out with a win with a 4th string DT QB (whose a much better runner). Their starting QB had their worst statistical game against Valley last year. They won because of turnovers and our weak rush defense/DL. We get them in Itta Bena this year with a hopefully more balanced offense because we basically ran a make shift offense last year to compete because of redshirts to our QB and RBs.

Right now, I would lean towards JSU in beating Bethune because they have the defense that can stuff their run game and force their QB to become a thrower (something that he is not)

Lynchburg = win.

Even if we were to lose to Alcorn, we head into a winnable UAPB game after HC and then get our next 4 SWAC opponents at home. To be honest, the only one that worries me is TxSU (they've kind of handled us recently although they played them well in 2017). JSU is gonna be improved but it's JSU/Valley so they'll get our best effort. We should have beat Grambling and ASU last year so we get them at Valley.

Not saying we will win the SWAC but no one would be surprised if we won 4 games next year off last year's results.

Normally I would agree with most of what you say but this OOC is not as daunting as even last year's schedule.

Yeah TSU gets up for HBCUs but overall they have fallen short in the OVC FBS transfers and all. It's gonna be a tough game but not Jacksonville State tough

Lamar is arguably the toughest of the OOC games after 7 wins last year and being a fringe top 25 FCS team. Again they aren't JSU level tough but still a tough game

BCU is always tough but we went to FL and almost walked out with a win with a 4th string DT QB (whose a much better runner). Their starting QB had their worst statistical game against Valley last year. They won because of turnovers and our weak rush defense/DL. We get them in Itta Bena this year with a hopefully more balanced offense because we basically ran a make shift offense last year to compete because of redshirts to our QB and RBs.

Right now, I would lean towards JSU in beating Bethune because they have the defense that can stuff their run game and force their QB to become a thrower (something that he is not)

Lynchburg = win.

Even if we were to lose to Alcorn, we head into a winnable UAPB game after HC and then get our next 4 SWAC opponents at home. To be honest, the only one that worries me is TxSU (they've kind of handled us recently although they played them well in 2017). JSU is gonna be improved but it's JSU/Valley so they'll get our best effort. We should have beat Grambling and ASU last year so we get them at Valley.

Not saying we will win the SWAC but no one would be surprised if we won 4 games next year off last year's results.
I love Valley and want to see them win. However Basebone is spot on in his comments on the schedule. Need to schedule another non D-1 game this season when you are allowed to play 12. Deep in The Delta I know you are a Valley guy and I hope you are right about the 4 wins. However Valley has won 21 games in the last 11 seasons. Take out Karl Morgan's 5-6 2012 season and it drops to 16 wins in 10 seasons. Valley graduated 2 really good play makers off of last years team and I have heard guys are transferring out of there. They have GOT to start thinking outside the box in their hiring and scheduling IMO.

I love Valley and want to see them win. However Basebone is spot on in his comments on the schedule. Need to schedule another non D-1 game this season when you are allowed to play 12. Deep in The Delta I know you are a Valley guy and I hope you are right about the 4 wins. However Valley has won 21 games in the last 11 seasons. Take out Karl Morgan's 5-6 2012 season and it drops to 16 wins in 10 seasons. Valley graduated 2 really good play makers off of last years team and I have heard guys are transferring out of there. They have GOT to start thinking outside the box in their hiring and scheduling IMO.

If any other school in the SWAC had our schedule (no FBS schools and 2 fringe Top 25-30 FCS teams), would yall really be talking about coaching hires and better scheduling? Nope only Valley. Plus having those open dates allows for a 12th game if one opens up or there is a cancellation and a FBS needs a fill in (see Nebraska against BCU)

Most people agree that our team played better last year than in 2017 (we scored over 21 points multiple times against non-UAPB D1 teams) with multiple redshirts (like how most schools do instead of throwing freshman into the fire against North Dakota and Jax State). And no team in the SWAC can afford to fire a coach after 1 season. If it is year 3 with Dancy having most of his players then you might have a point. But the QB that started off the season was a Comegy recruit. Most of the guys that have transferred out (most to D2 schools) were Comegy recruits

If any other school in the SWAC had our schedule (no FBS schools and 2 fringe Top 25-30 FCS teams), would yall really be talking about coaching hires and better scheduling? Nope only Valley. Plus having those open dates allows for a 12th game if one opens up or there is a cancellation and a FBS needs a fill in (see Nebraska against BCU)

Most people agree that our team played better last year than in 2017 (we scored over 21 points multiple times against non-UAPB D1 teams) with multiple redshirts (like how most schools do instead of throwing freshman into the fire against North Dakota and Jax State). And no team in the SWAC can afford to fire a coach after 1 season. If it is year 3 with Dancy having most of his players then you might have a point. But the QB that started off the season was a Comegy recruit. Most of the guys that have transferred out (most to D2 schools) were Comegy recruits

That is a very good point about the possibility of a 12th game coming open. However you can actually play 13 in a 12 year game if the dates match and you can get a waiver. Charleston Southern did it in 2013 or 2014 against Colorado. And yes, redshirting the freshmen should pay off in the long run and is the way to build a program. I did not mean that Valley should fire Dancy. 1 year is not enough time and as much I pull for The Valley I know what a tough job it is. I just feel that Valley Athletics in general has to think outside the box because it is a somewhat unique situation.[/QUOTE]

Lynchburg = win.

You know it’s all love and respect to ya bro, but y’all went 1-10 last year. So of course folks aren’t going to say the same thing about your schedule that other would get. You know how much I want Valley to win and the excitement I show when y’all grab a good recruit, but you have way too many “ifs” in the air.

I have been on the winning side of the SWAC for decades, and know what it takes to get there through good and bad days. Even when my Gramfam is down, I like watching my ghetto family and love ones up the street at SU be up. When both are down, my BBQing in-laws at PV or country yet classy friends at Alcorn are having fun in the sun. I see it, and know what works.

Brother 662, Valley has to get a “winning friendly schedule” formula in order to change the culture.
When SU doesn’t have an up to par season, you might possibly find a Morehouse, Lane or Kentucky State in line for a game the next year. If two of them are needed, then it might be two of them there. Once PV started to bring scholarships back in their program, Frazier wanted the Texas Colleges, Paul Quinns, and Edward Waters on their schedules for a reason. There program needed to see some wins and excitement in order to get folks talking about the next game. It worked big time.

Valley needs to try it out. You and I can post up plenty of “Valley almost won” stories about football games from the past 15 years, but sometimes woulda coulda shoulda gets expired. I agree that Lamar, BCU and TSU aren’t bad non conference teams to play. However, we are talking about a program coming off a 1-10 season that needs a winning season more than any other division I HBCU.

Valley needs to look into playing 12 games next year even if it’s a turnaround road trip to a smaller program to save home game check. Something like 1 NAIA, 1 weak division II, 1 lower place MEAC/Southern/Ohio Valley, and maybe 1 struggling or first year FBS G5 program for a decent check. A 3-1 non conference record has a better chance of turning into 6-6 or 7-5 once conference play begins when you are changing a culture. Ask PV, Alcorn, SU, NCA&T, Alabama A&M and Howard. All of them have done this when a winning season was desperately needed to get every fired back up. It works.

No doubt about it. Valley had us on the ropes last year and know how to fight when they are in scrappy mode, but Valley isn’t Grambling, NCA&T, Southern, Alcorn, PV, or NCCU. Before they get there, they have to put together “winner friendly” schedules. Valley needs to hire someone who knows what it takes to change a culture of a program.

Why agree to play BCU when you could schedule Del State or Savanna? Why travel to North Dakota or NDSU when you could have traveled to Missouri State or Southern Illinois? Why play Lamar when you could play Houston Baptist? Why take a check from Jacksonville State when you could have taken one from Jacksonville? Since Valley seems to be willing to travel far nowadays, has anyone on their administration every reached out for away games at Bucknell, VMI, Valparaiso, Robert Morris, Fordham or Southern Utah? Playing those winning FCS programs has proven not to help anyone when they are already down. Valley has to make changes. Folks like us don’t push for them to be out of the SWAC or call them a division II program. We want them to win instead of pushing them away.

Last edited:
I hate this schedule. Valley is Valley. They cant do what everybody else do. THEY NEED TO ESTABLISH A CULTURE OF WINNING. Why are they playing TNState, BCU, and Lamar? I dont really agree with playing teams like Lynchburg BUT I personally think Valley should play only D2 teams in OOC conference for a few years until they build a program. They need to be calling some classics like the Circle City, Chicago Classic, etc.. and see if they can get games vs the Kentucky State's and Morehouse's of the world. Valley needs to accept who they are. Why schedule 3 AUTOMATIC losses when you can schedule 3 games you have a 50/50 chance of winning? Make it make sense....

I hate this schedule. Valley is Valley. They cant do what everybody else do. THEY NEED TO ESTABLISH A CULTURE OF WINNING. Why are they playing TNState, BCU, and Lamar? I dont really agree with playing teams like Lynchburg BUT I personally think Valley should play only D2 teams in OOC conference for a few years until they build a program. They need to be calling some classics like the Circle City, Chicago Classic, etc.. and see if they can get games vs the Kentucky State's and Morehouse's of the world. Valley needs to accept who they are. Why schedule 3 AUTOMATIC losses when you can schedule 3 games you have a 50/50 chance of winning? Make it make sense....

If I were calling the shots at Valley, my 4 year transition for the football program would look something like this when it came to scheduling.

Year 1
Elizabeth City State
Kentucky State
at Delaware State
College of Faith (Homecoming)

Year 2
at Ball State
Livingston
Delaware State
VLU (Homecoming)

Year 3
Lincoln (PA)
at Savanna State
at UConn
Miles College (Homecoming)

Year 4
at Kansas
Johnson C Smith
Savanna State
Morehouse (Homecoming)

I am sure that Valley fighting through the SWAC with 2-3 wins non conference wins would turn them into a 6-7 win program on a consistent basis. It would help as far as recruiting as well. I have seen it done with my own eyes at the FCS and FBS level. “Bowl Friendly” and “Win Friendly” schedules are needed when the time comes to be serious about changing the culture. Valley knows how to be scrappy in football, but the numbers show that they don’t know how to win. Above is the forumal.

@Tigerpride

Man, I dug this up and realized I am started to sound like a broken record when it comes to Valley. I am even posted the same stuff in the 2018 schedule thread. You can see how bad I want them to succeed. A winning Valley is good for the entire SWAC.

Back