2015 SWAC Basketball Signings (Early & Late)

If he turns this mess of a program around, the Cage will be packed

There is no way a former division II basketball coach comes to a horrible SWAC division I program and throws together a class like that. I know Grambling people seem to only want to read news about football, but the G-Men have the best signing class they have had in years. Good luck.

Texas Southern has a good class once again and is going to run the SWAC. I want to see them schedule 5 non conference games against C-USA, SBC, AAC, MWC and WAC teams because I think they can have an amazing overall record. I know everyone likes the powerhouse games that give great checks, but TSU really has the talent to win 28 or more games if they schedule to do so.

Southern women's team is going to be very good. They have signed a very aggressive group of girls that can score.

I am looking forward to basketball season. Valley, PVAMU, ASU and UAPB have all upgraded their talent on their men's roster for next season. I expect to see the SWAC win more non conference games if we schedule more MEAC, Southland, OVC and division II programs. I am tired of looking at our horrible non conference records.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
There is no way a former division II basketball coach comes to a horrible SWAC division I program and throws together a class like that. I know Grambling people seem to only want to read news about football, but the G-Men have the best signing class they have had in years. Good luck.

Texas Southern has a good class once again and is going to run the SWAC. I want to see them schedule 5 non conference games against C-USA, SBC, AAC, MWC and WAC teams because I think they can have an amazing overall record. I know everyone likes the powerhouse games that give great checks, but TSU really has the talent to win 28 or more games if they schedule to do so.

Southern women's team is going to be very good. They have signed a very aggressive group of girls that can score.

I am looking forward to basketball season. Valley, PVAMU, ASU and UAPB have all upgraded their talent on their men's roster for next season. I expect to see the SWAC win more non conference games if we schedule more MEAC, Southland, OVC and division II programs. I am tired of looking at our horrible non conference records.

Dont know about "running" the SWAC..... we should have beat Texas Southern twice last year.... lost one game by 3 and another by 2.... we didnt have a senior on the entire team thats why we dont have a signing class. We return the SWAC leading scorer, rebounder, and assist man. We will be pretty good this upcoming season.

Dont know about "running" the SWAC..... we should have beat Texas Southern twice last year.... lost one game by 3 and another by 2.... we didnt have a senior on the entire team thats why we dont have a signing class. We return the SWAC leading scorer, rebounder, and assist man. We will be pretty good this upcoming season.

I'm still mad at taking them to 3 OTs and on the last play we dribbled the ball out of bounds without a shot.

We got bigger in the guard and forward positions with (hopefully) better shooters. Plus it looks like 10-12 money games OOC schedule has been scaled back for us (we do have Nebraska and the yearly match up with Northwestern as well as Iowa State (with a new coach) but also got Air Force, Duquesne and probably TT and St Francis so there should be winnable games in that stretch once the complete OOC comes out)

Trust me we are watching.

Coach Davis admitted we played with no intensity and down to AAMU last season.

Last edited:
Coach Davis admitted we played with now intensity and down to AAMU last season.
Did you see the game on ESPNU? AAMU outplayed TSU and just could not come up with a decisive basket in crunch time. AAMU had way more chances to win that game than TSU and just did not finish it off. It looked to me like TSU was playing with intensity..it just that some of our players created a match-up problem.

Yes, "running" the SWAC. There is no team in division I basketball that doesn't run into scary nights in conference play, but TSU has a good coach, disciplined team and one of the best classes in the conference. They will be the real deal once again. I don't expect any team to blow away the conference on points in every game, but I can see TSU winning 16 to 18 SWAC games once again. A close game here and there doesn't mean much as far as wins and losses. It's all about winning.

Speaking of winning and losing, I wish the entire SWAC conference started playing a few more non conference games against below .500 Sun Belt and C-USA teams, and more minor division I programs. The SWAC needs to have more non conference wins on the basketball schedule in order to increase national respect. The SWAC is a better basketball conference than many people think, but nobody gets a chance to see that due every team getting beat down for checks before conference play. It's ok to take money games as we all know that they benefit the entire program, but there needs to be a few more non conference wins out of the SWAC.

and now that recruiting has improved, the SWAC can really start showcasing it's talent

Basketball is a different animal, it only takes a few players to make a program dangerous, I agree don't sleep on the G-Men this year and I have no idea what ole Rimm is cooking up at PV either, heard we got bigger but I'll believe it when I see it

Jackson State signed Lindsey Hunter IV 6'1 guard who averaged 26ppg last season in prep school. He averaged 19ppg his sr. season at Southfield High School in Michigan. I thought jsu was out of scholarships but I guess when it comes to signing the son of a legend you always find room. Oh yeah he chose jsu over offers from Alabama A&M and Wright State. If I'm not mistaken the basketball coach who died at A&M was actively recruiting Lindsey Hunter IV.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jackson State Lindsey Hunter IV 6'1 guard who averaged 26ppg last season in prep school. He averaged 19ppg his sr. season at Southfield High School in Michigan. I thought jsu was out of scholarships but I guess when it comes to signing the son of a legend you always find room. Oh yeah he chose jsu over offers from Alabama A&M and Wright State. If I'm not mistaken the basketball coach who died at A&M was actively recruiting Lindsey Hunter IV.

I thought for sure he was heading to AAMU.

This basketball season in the SWAC is about to be really interesting. TSU, SU and Alabama State will be good but PV, Valley and even Grambling could be vastly improved and push them

Jackson State Lindsey Hunter IV 6'1 guard who averaged 26ppg last season in prep school. He averaged 19ppg his sr. season at Southfield High School in Michigan. I thought jsu was out of scholarships but I guess when it comes to signing the son of a legend you always find room. Oh yeah he chose jsu over offers from Alabama A&M and Wright State. If I'm not mistaken the basketball coach who died at A&M was actively recruiting Lindsey Hunter IV.

Way to go JSU! You gotta get that kid signed.

Something dont seem right about our roster (MBB)
I had a couple of questions as well.
Joel Hawkins (a key role player last year who transferred in from Florida State) is transferring to CIAA Shaw University to play for his Dad (same name) who is the new Head Coach.
Elex Carter (a would be RS soph who chose SU over Tulane out of HS) is also transferring.

I had a couple of questions as well.
Joel Hawkins (a key role player last year who transferred in from Florida State) is transferring to CIAA Shaw University to play for his Dad (same name) who is the new Head Coach.
Elex Carter (a would be RS soph who chose SU over Tulane out of HS) is also transferring.
Elex is going to Xavier near his home town.

Back