2004 Las Vegas Classic???

My position is the same I like it because... it is good for BCF. There is nothing wrong with the SWAC, it is a great conference.

MD, it could be better. Then Jacksonville fans would care about seeing their team play you and travel to Huntsville.

Playing a SWAC schedule is no easy task. Good players are lost week after week. No coach should have to load up his schedule.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Playing a SWAC schedule is no easy task. Good players are lost week after week. No coach should have to load up his schedule.

Well I bet a lot of team would love to play a full slate of SWAC non-conferece wi...I mean games...:rolleyes:

Dude, please be serious. The conference is isht except for SU and Grambling. All you have to do is look at the non-conference records.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Well I bet a lot of team would love to play a full slate of SWAC non-conferece wi...I mean games...:rolleyes:

Everybody make money off of SWAC fans because we follow our teams. Therefore, outsiders enjoy playing SWAC schools. When we go to classics we pay those $160 per night for those hotel rooms and $50.00 tickets. Why can't we trun the money over for our own conference.

Is it also true that the SWAC Coaches who are bringing in big dollars from these classics, have trouble obtaining things for their progams that they need.

Originally posted by PNeck019
Dude, please be serious. The conference is isht except for SU and Grambling. All you have to do is look at the non-conference records.

Not true, you may not respect AAMU because you think Grambling and SU, but remember our school along with others bring a lot to the table other than football. You cannot begin to understand the impact that the SWAC has had on our School in the business community. When I tell you that the SWAC is great, you need to take the blinders off and step back and reevaluate. We were in the SIAC and we know the difference. I wish I could share with you what I learned last week about the SWAC.

Everybody make money off of SWAC fans because we follow our teams. Therefore, outsiders enjoy playing SWAC schools. When we go to classics we pay those $160 per night for those hotel rooms and $50.00 tickets. Why can't we trun the money over for our own conference.

Is it also true that the SWAC Coaches who are bringing in big dollars from these classics, have trouble obtaining things for their progams that they need.

you cant look at it like that because it is just some conference teams that fans just dont want to see and are not going to show up.... for example there will never be alot of people at a AAMU vs PV or Texas SO game UNELESS it is homecoming. I would rather play a MEAC team or even Tuskegee or Jacksonville State than these two teams. So how would we be turning in money to our conference when we arent going to make any money playing these two schools??

Originally posted by DAHILL
you cant look at it like that because it is just some conference teams that fans just dont want to see and are not going to show up.... for example there will never be alot of people at a AAMU vs PV or Texas SO game UNELESS it is homecoming. I would rather play a MEAC team or even Tuskegee or Jacksonville State than these two teams. So how would we be turning in money to our conference when we arent going to make any money playing these two schools??

Unification or solidarity have not been a strong point in the SWAC because the SWAC was influenced by a few schools. However, we are moving in the direction of bringing some unity to the entire SWAC, which is a good thing in the long run. MEAC and the SWAC could be playing before more fans than the BC if some form of unity had been established. But I know for a fact that some of us see shot terms goals and quick fixes are better than long range planning. I see the SWAC doing some long range planning and that is good for the future. We need to be concerned about the future.

Unification or solidarity have not been a strong point in the SWAC because the SWAC was influenced by a few schools. However, we are moving in the direction of bringing some unity to the entire SWAC, which is a good thing in the long run. MEAC and the SWAC could be playing before more fans than the BC if some form of unity had been established. But I know for a fact that some of us see shot terms goals and quick fixes are better than long range planning. I see the SWAC doing some long range planning and that is good for the future. We need to be concerned about the future.

so you honestly see our fans giving a damn about a AAMU-PV game in the future???? I dont think it is NOTHING that could be done to make an AAMU-PV game more intense than a AAMU-TU rivalry.... game wise or fan wise.

Originally posted by DAHILL
so you honestly see our fans giving a damn about a AAMU-PV game in the future???? I dont think it is NOTHING that could be done to make an AAMU-PV game more intense than a AAMU-TU rivalry.... game wise or fan wise.

I believe in the whole part whole theory. PVAM-AAMU Game is just a part of the whole. Did not PVAM make an effort to improve its program? Would you agree that we are seeing more commitment from other schools since we entered the conference. Haven't we made a significant improvement in our program in the last 5 years?

AAMU is building its fan base year after year, but we still have a lot of hate around here.

I believe in the whole part whole theory. PVAM-AAMU Game is just a part of the whole. Did not PVAM make an effort to improve its program? Would you agree that we are seeing more commitment from other schools since we entered the conference. Haven't we made a significant improvement in our program in the last 5 years?

AAMU is building its fan base year after year, but we still have a lot of hate around here.

yes our athletic program has made strides in some areas and went down in others (basketball program.... Elmore use to be filled every game and we use to WIN).... BUT PV or Texas So had nothing to do with that. All I am saying is play the teams in your division, then make money off the rest of the games. AAMU will NEVER make alot of money off of playing Texas So or PV... we could have TU, Jacksonville State, Miles, even UNA on the schedule and our fans and alumni would be more interested in those games. I would have said the same thing when we were in the SIAC playing teams that most of our students had never heard of like Fort Valley, Albany State, Savannah State. Bottom line our fans will never be interested in playing PV or Texas So in football.... those games will bring our attendence down every year and I am sure it is vice versa from there side.

building unity is the most important factor to me and as you can see more Presidents and ADs are helping to build this unity. I would rather go with what is good for the conference than to look at one of two games. You analysis of the situation has merit but we must move together as a unit rather than individually.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
GRAM4LIFE,

That's it. As Tigerpride as repeated on several occassion more "Big 3" plus 1 fans would have fit . But, what many fail to realize is the point that Tigerpride has constantly tried to get over is that even though Alcorn State or Jackson State may fall off a Grambling State or Southern schedules or Grambling State or Southern fall off a Alcorn State or Jackson State (neither would have a situation where both non-divisional rivaries would be off the schedule at the same time during the rotation process) schedule it would just create a great opportunity to pick-up a North Carolina A & T State, Florida A & M, South Carolina State, Bethune-Cookman, Howard, Hampton, or Tennessee State in a home and home game or "Classic" that could generate even more money, not to even mention several of the regional condusive PWC possible match-ups.

Basically, these four programs did not want to roll-off each others schedule and once the coaches had an angle to push their personal agendas it was over, done deal. Here comes the 9 game SWAC mandate. It is funny to me, because the biggest and loudest critics have no one to blame. But themselves or atleast their own programs administration. They do not want to do this now, because that would be to easy to understand that their own administration place this monkey on their backs.
Jafas, I agree w/everything you said. I just threw that out there as the reasoning IMO behind such a policy as the 9 SWAC games mandate though I don't agree with it unless all games count. I understand the logic. Each school has to make financial sense for themselves. If Jackson and Alcorn were not coming to Grambling we would have less home games than we do now. FAMU, Tennessee State, is not going to come to Grambling without a return trip. Meaning... A Classic. I'm just not a fan of Non-traditional Classics.
Bama is homecoming bait every other year. There is no such thing as the Big 3.
Mach, I know hence the quotations.

Even at the D1A level programs will not load their schedule with top teams. I expect those teams in the conference who some believe will never build a program will eventually challenge the former big three. As we move toward unity and not favoritism in the conference, I believe we will see more parity. SU didn't win the BCF Championships because they played Lincoln and Allen. They won the championship because of the number of game they won. I understand fan interest, but let your coach lose to PVAM, AAMU, MVSU, UAPB, TSU, Alcorn, and AlSt, you will be calling for his job.

There are only so many Saturdays in Sep, Oct and Nov. Therefore to find a good date to play in and out of the conference is difficult. There are many matchups I would like to see in the SWAC, but do to dates, I cannot make those games because we are playing on the same Saturdays.

I would be happy to see the day when each SWAC Schools sell 15,000 to 20,000 season tickets.

There are only so many Saturdays in Sep, Oct and Nov. Therefore to find a good date to play in and out of the conference is difficult. There are many matchups I would like to see in the SWAC, but do to dates, I cannot make those games because we are playing on the same Saturdays.

MIGHTY DOG, THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR EVERY SCHOOL IN THE SWAC. IT IS NOT FAIR TO PUNISH JSU BECAUSE YOU ALL ARE NOT THE FIRST CHOICE OF A MAJOR CLASSIC

I would be happy to see the day when each SWAC Schools sell 15,000 to 20,000 season tickets.

I LONG FOR THAT DAY AS WELL, BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT JSU AS LONG AS WE PLAY IN MEMORIAL. THERE IS NO NEED TO BUY A SEASON TICKET WITH A STADIUM THAT LARGE.

TP, AAMU is playing four Classics this year.

I don't believe you said that there is no reason to buy a season ticket from your school. This means that you do not understand what it takes to make a program.

TP, each of us have a level of understand of what should be based on our experience. Who benefits from decisions made is the issue we should be concerned with.

Originally posted by Robber
MightyDog,

Folk don't rush to buy tickets when they KNOW some will be available game day.

We sell more tickets on game day at the higher price because most people cannot make up their minds or want to know what the weather is going to be.

I don't believe you said that there is no reason to buy a season ticket from your school. This means that you do not understand what it takes to make a program.

TP, each of us have a level of understand of what should be based on our experience. Who benefits from decisions made is the issue we should be concerned with.

Mighty Dog, I understand the purpose and significance of buying season tickets but most people don't. If we had a 25K seat stadium, I am sure that we could sell 10K more season tickets. Some people who play in small stadiums buy season tickets just to get a good seat at homecoming. We don't ahve that luxury at JSU. There are not many bad seats in the house.

Will one of you coaches or ADs reading this thread explain to TP about season tickets.

I understand but I guess that since you don't even get 15K at your homecoming, you would not understand my points either. You have a long way to go to get to 15K season ticket holders. Again, JSU could do it if we had a smaller stadium like yours.

Yeah but you had to play in one that not many teams choose to play in (John Merritt) and please don't call a game against SSU a classic. Geez. Norfolk State wouldn't even come to Nashville...LOL

Then you don't have to the power to have schools like FAMU, A&T, Howard, Hampton, SCState to CHOOSE you to play in a classic against them. They will come to the Big 3 and a half or TNState first and by the time they get to you, it's booked. You had to get a in-conference game with Peanut to get involved in a classic.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
They will come to the Big 3 and a half or TNState first and by the time they get to you, it's booked.

Why you continue to refer to your program as one of those 3 is assininity at its best.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
Why you continue to refer to your program as one of those 3 is assininity at its best.

Check out the SWAC championship ledger and you will get your answer. Find out who gets the prime classic invites.....Chicago is doing all they can to get JSU there...can you all say that.... Promoters in Orlando are trying to make better offers.. Those same promoters would not let AAMU cross thier minds. Also check out the attendance leader ledger and see what's there.. In the end, you will behold the Big 3 and a half...

Your school is lowly and will never reach the status of the premeir HBCU's in America. You will always be 2nd and 3rd teir.

Back