$200,000 for serving prison time that was not his...

MsJag4Jag

Exonerated inmate gets $200,000 for years spent in prison

The Associated Press
1/30/03 12:43 PM

HOUMA, La. (AP) -- A man who spent nearly two decades in prison for a rape committed by his brother, only to be jailed later on another crime, probably will be free again by the end of the week, his attorney says.

Clyde Charles, who received a $200,000 settlement Wednesday for the time he spent in the Louisiana State Penitentiary, has been jailed on charges brought by another of his brothers following a fight.

State Sen. Cleo Fields, who is representing Charles, said the brother plans to drop those charges.

"We hope to have Clyde out this week," said Fields.

Charles was freed from prison in December 2000 after DNA evidence showed he could not have committed a 1981 rape. The victim identified Charles as her assailant. The same evidence was used later to convict his younger brother, Marlo Charles, of aggravated rape.

Marlo Charles is serving a life sentence without parole.

Charles filed a lawsuit seeking compensation from the Terrebonne Parish district attorney's office. The suit was tossed by a federal judge who said Charles had voluntarily waived compensation as a condition of his release from prison.

Charles appealed to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, but the case had not been acted on by the time the settlement was reached.

District Attorney Joseph Waitz Jr. said he was not privy to the settlement negotiations. Waitz said his office "did nothing wrong to warrant that kind of settlement."

Waitz said he is not certain whether the money will come from his budget, an insurance policy or some other type of funding.

Charles' attorneys said he had repeatedly requested DNA testing that could have freed him. The original requests were made to Waitz's predecessor, Doug Greenburg.
:tup:

This topic had come up once before and someone on the board said he would get nothing. This sucks. We are talking about nearly twenty years of a mans life. It must just be a Louisiansa thing.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Charles filed a lawsuit seeking compensation from the Terrebonne Parish district attorney's office. The suit was tossed by a federal judge who said Charles had voluntarily waived compensation as a condition of his release from prison.

How are you going to tell him in order to get out of prison you can't get compensation. See on that I would have had to call johnny....

"Johnny they know I didn't do the crime but I paid the time and they don't want to pay the dime...."

All he got was $200,000?! I know I would be raising some serious hell if that was me.

Well at least he got something out of it. But I know, if where me, I would legally attempt to rape police department or whatever law enforcement agency that subjected me to being falsely incarcerated (sp).

Yes...200,000 is chump change for two decades of a person's life being lost. Try 10 million. Taxes are going to eat half of that ish up. He'll be broke again within a year. Sad.

Originally posted by THAMES
This topic had come up once before and someone on the board said he would get nothing. This sucks. We are talking about nearly twenty years of a mans life. It must just be a Louisiansa thing.

If Louisiana is all over America, then it is. There are people falsely imprisoned all over the country, and when they get out, they get nothing.

You can't put a price on freedom. He should be taken care of for the rest of his life. What a shame.:mad:

Originally posted by Justin
All he got was $200,000?! I know I would be raising some serious hell if that was me.

Well at least he got something out of it. But I know, if where me, I would legally attempt to rape police department or whatever law enforcement agency that subjected me to being falsely incarcerated (sp).
Look at it from this perspective. Dude filed a lawsuit and it got dismissed. Now he's getting jack. He appeals. 5th Circuit could easily affirm the district court and ole boy won't get a dime. They offer you $200,000 to settle, when you already have NOTHING.

$200,000 in hand today or win the chance to go to trial (where you still might get nothing) or nothing at all??? That's why he took the money.

Originally posted by Robber

Look at it from this perspective. Dude filed a lawsuit and it got dismissed. Now he's getting jack. He appeals. 5th Circuit could easily affirm the district court and ole boy won't get a dime. They offer you $200,000 to settle, when you already have NOTHING.

$200,000 in hand today or win the chance to go to trial (where you still might get nothing) or nothing at all??? That's why he took the money.

Leave it to your lawyering ass to make sense out of this. :rolleyes: :p

Originally posted by JSU*Toi

How are you going to tell him in order to get out of prison you can't get compensation. See on that I would have had to call johnny....

"Johnny they know I didn't do the crime but I paid the time and they don't want to pay the dime...."

Well, he called Barry Scheck. :)

Originally posted by Robber

I can appreciate that. But I know I'd be raising hell and taking a risk doing it. The persons responsible would be feeling my wrath. It might not be financial, but they shall feel it.

Originally posted by THAMES

Please tell me that you are not so uninformed and/or naive to believe that Louisiana is the only state in this Union that has incarcerated an innocent person. Maybe you meant that paying money to the wronged person is a Louisiana thing. Not many jurisdiction do that.

Back