2 former JSU students killed

JSU Alum

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006611180382

November 18, 2006

2 former JSU students killed in Pa. car crash

By Andrew Nelson
ajnelson@clarionledger.com

Two former Jackson State University students were killed Friday morning in a car crash in Pennsylvania, according to Stephen Murray Sr., the father of one of the victims.

Kristy L. Murray, 23, of Hazlehurst, and Trista D. Martin, age unavailable, of Magnolia, were graduate students at Pennsylvania State University.

He said they were driving to an airport to catch a flight back to Mississippi for Thanksgiving when the driver swerved to avoid a deer and crashed head-on into a tractor-trailer.

Stephen Murray did not have any information on Martin.

He said his daughter was studying to become a pediatrician.

The women met while they were studying at Jackson State.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006611180382

November 18, 2006

2 former JSU students killed in Pa. car crash

By Andrew Nelson
ajnelson@clarionledger.com

Two former Jackson State University students were killed Friday morning in a car crash in Pennsylvania, according to Stephen Murray Sr., the father of one of the victims.

Kristy L. Murray, 23, of Hazlehurst, and Trista D. Martin, age unavailable, of Magnolia, were graduate students at Pennsylvania State University.

He said they were driving to an airport to catch a flight back to Mississippi for Thanksgiving when the driver swerved to avoid a deer and crashed head-on into a tractor-trailer.

Stephen Murray did not have any information on Martin.

He said his daughter was studying to become a pediatrician.

The women met while they were studying at Jackson State.
I'm sorry to hear this. Trista was a soror - Delta Pi. :( Prayers for their families.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The link below contains a picture from their graduation.

Two Penn State students killed in Bedford County crash
By Dena Pauling
dpauling@centredaily.com
Two Penn State graduate students from Mississippi died in a two-car crash on U.S. Route 220 early Friday morning in Bedford County, state police said.
Trista Danielle Martin, 22, and Kristy Lorrine Murray, 23, were traveling south in Cumberland Valley Township when their vehicle, a 1997 Ford Explorer, went into the northbound lane and struck a tractor-trailer.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 41-year-old Charles Allen Edmiston, of Lavalle, Md., was not injured, state police at Bedford said. It was uncertain which woman was driving the Explorer.
During an phone interview from Magnolia, Miss., Martin's mother said the students swerved to miss a deer when the accident happened.
Sara Martin said her daughter and Murray were roommates at a State College townhouse. The two met at Jackson State University, where they graduated in 2006 with bachelor of science degrees in physics. Martin went on to study material science and engineering at Penn State, she said.
"My daughter was a wonderful child, always busy doing something positive," Sara Martin said. "Even though she's my daughter, I think she's done very well. She stayed quite active."
She is survived by three sisters and a brother.
Tamika Greenwood-Johnson, 27, of McComb, Miss., said Martin was good friends with her younger sister. They both attended South Pike High School and Greenwood-Johnson helped her get into the physics program at Jackson State, where they were members of the same sorority -- Delta Sigma Theta.
"She was very outgoing. She was well-known, even at South Pike High School. She was the salutatorian and was always active in the Student Government Association," said Greenwood-Johnson, who spoke to Martin on the telephone just days before the accident. "I'm just so happy I got a chance to know her."
Although Martin was miles away in Pennsylvania from her friends and family, she kept in touch through text messages and over the telephone, as well as through MySpace and Facebook, Greenwood-Johnson said. The Web sites enable users to develop their own pages and communicate with one another.
Murray was from Hazlehurst, Miss., a town about 60 miles from Magnolia. She was also working toward a doctorate in material science, according to her MySpace Web site.
In addition to her academic achievements, Murray was interested in acting, modeling, singing, and fashion and was "always smiling no matter what," her Web site says.
Her friends have posted messages in her honor.
"I remember you when you were just a little girl. We practically grew up together," wrote her 24-year-old friend, Latoya, from Hazlehurst, Miss. "I will miss you dearly. Rest in peace sweetie, I know you are looking down on us. I will see you again in that beautiful home called heaven. I love you."
Dena Pauling may be reached at 231-4619.

http://members.cox.net/shenderson6/Students.jpg

Oh wow, I'm so sorry about that. :( My heart goes out to the family and friends of these young ladies.

Ya'll PLEASE be safe out there on the roads during the holidays. ~hugs~

Prayers to the family. I just found out from my Mom who is from Hazelhurst originally that the Murray young lady's family grew up very close to our family in Copiah county and they are really taking this hard. You just hate to hear this.

JSU ESTABLISHES SCHOLARSHIP TO HONOR PHYSICS GRADS

http://www.jsums.edu/~announcements/02.19.07.physics.pdf

Media Release

Public Relations
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: February 19, 2007

(JACKSON, Miss.) ? Jackson State University has officially established a scholarship in honor of two outstanding physics graduates who died in November. The Kristy and Trista Physics Scholarship is named for Kristy Lorrine Murray, 23, of Hazlehurst, Miss., and Trista Danielle Martin, 22, of Magnolia, Miss. They were killed Nov. 17, 2006, in Pennsylvania when, en route to an airport to return home for Thanksgiving, their vehicle swerved to avoid hitting a deer. The high school salutatorians graduated with honors from Jackson State in May 2006 and were pursuing doctorates in materials science and engineering at Pennsylvania State University.

Martin?s mother, Sara Martin of Fernwood, Miss., said establishing the scholarship is sort of like a ?permanent landmark? in their honor. ?For this scholarship to be established for another or some other deserving African-American female, I couldn?t think of any better tribute that the university or the physics department could establish,? Sara Martin said. ?I believe it was just destiny that things happened the way they did and that they were both happy in what they were doing and the accomplishments they had made,? said the 1977 and 1997 JSU graduate. Murray?s mother, Carol Neal of Hazlehurst, said the scholarship honors their memory and motivates other young ladies to attend college and major in physics. ?Although they attended Jackson State ? and there are a lot of students who attended Jackson State ? this shows that they were not just a number, that they were persons who were highly thought of,? said Neal, a 1976 JSU graduate. ?Kristy stated that Jackson State is the best university in the world. I thank Jackson State for letting the memory of my daughter continue to go on, that everyday, somehow, Kristy will always be thought about.?

Re: JSU ESTABLISHES SCHOLARSHIP TO HONOR PHYSICS GRADS

http://www.jsums.edu/~announcements/02.19.07.physics.pdf

Media Release

Public Relations
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: February 19, 2007

(JACKSON, Miss.) ? Jackson State University has officially established a scholarship in honor of two outstanding physics graduates who died in November. The Kristy and Trista Physics Scholarship is named for Kristy Lorrine Murray, 23, of Hazlehurst, Miss., and Trista Danielle Martin, 22, of Magnolia, Miss. They were killed Nov. 17, 2006, in Pennsylvania when, en route to an airport to return home for Thanksgiving, their vehicle swerved to avoid hitting a deer. The high school salutatorians graduated with honors from Jackson State in May 2006 and were pursuing doctorates in materials science and engineering at Pennsylvania State University.

Martin?s mother, Sara Martin of Fernwood, Miss., said establishing the scholarship is sort of like a ?permanent landmark? in their honor. ?For this scholarship to be established for another or some other deserving African-American female, I couldn?t think of any better tribute that the university or the physics department could establish,? Sara Martin said. ?I believe it was just destiny that things happened the way they did and that they were both happy in what they were doing and the accomplishments they had made,? said the 1977 and 1997 JSU graduate. Murray?s mother, Carol Neal of Hazlehurst, said the scholarship honors their memory and motivates other young ladies to attend college and major in physics. ?Although they attended Jackson State ? and there are a lot of students who attended Jackson State ? this shows that they were not just a number, that they were persons who were highly thought of,? said Neal, a 1976 JSU graduate. ?Kristy stated that Jackson State is the best university in the world. I thank Jackson State for letting the memory of my daughter continue to go on, that everyday, somehow, Kristy will always be thought about.?
:tup:

Back