1st year students...cars on campus or not?

Freshmen that live on campus aren't allowed to have cars at SU. I never understood that rule, even from an adult standpoint. People would argue that you didn't need a car your first year or that there wasn't adequate parking. There probably isn't a college in America that has enough parking for students, visitors, and faculty. One can go across town to LSU and find that out.

Being an out-of-state student, having a car or access to someone with a car was vital. All freshmen are not out to cruise the city or waste gas for no reason. There were times where people in Jones needed to go to the store for medicine or other items and had no way there. Some guy used to drive a broken-down bus up there on Wednesdays to take students to the mall, but that was it. Luckily I had a cousin that was an upperclassman. Otherwise, I would have starved to death at times. Giving a freshman a car will not cause them to drop out of school. If anything, they would be able to go to the public library without having to beg someone for a ride.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let's riiiiddddeeeeee

If you got a car, drive that mofo. I don't understand the point of that rule, either. I remember the summer before enrolling at JSU, the Dean of Honors College, Dr. Maria Luisa Alvarez-Harvey, called my house and pleaded with my parents not to let me have a car my freshman year. My moms was like, "who gone go get him when he wants to come home???" I was rolling on campus.

I guess it's the easiest way for schools to limit the number of cars on campus. I haven't been on a campus yet with adequate parking. Black or white.

No she didn't Robber!!! That sounds like something she would do. I was threatening of withdrawing one semester and she literally cried and pleaded for me not to withdraw.

I don't have a problem with a freshman having a car. By me not being financially able to have a car, my children will definitely have that luxury. It's 12:00 a.m. and I'm hungry...who's going to take me to Sack-n-Save. L, J-Tran doesn't run all night. Who's going to do the liquor run? :rolleyes: I know there are freshmen who abuse that privilege, but there is a necessity for having transportation, esp. when you are miles away from family.

Oh Dang!!! Don't ya'll get me started with Dr. Harvey stories. :rolleyes: I was a student without a car on campus so there were no late night runs for me, no late night calls or nothing. This was especially frustrating in the fall when you got out of band practice late and was hungry as "L". Occasionally, you could get a ride from someone. Like Robber's folks said, I was stuck on campus until holidays. I never got to go home. :( I can see where the privilege of having a car may be abused. But you can bet my child will have a car or someone close by who can service his needs. Matter of fact, I think I just bought it the other day....:D

I didn't have this problem...

But, I think its important for parents to understand the pros and cons of having transportation @ college. Not, just a car.

It seems most parents who refuse to let their college students have a car isn't because they can't afford to, they want to control them off @ school the way they do @ home, not realizing that they're adults and its time for them to make choices...right or wrong that they have to be held accountable for. The majority of the students aren't abusing the privilege of having a car on campus. Think about it. How can you abuse it anyway? As long as they're attending class and making the grade..cut'm some slack.

If I had children who were in college, especially females, I would never send them off to school where there is no transportation or without their own car. Parents think their worse nightmare is the student on campus with a car. No, their worse nightmare is their child having to depend upon someone they don't know to get them to where they need to be. 9 times out of 10..that person they're depending on is a male or several different males. That can set the stage for a lot of things. I think parents need to think and rethink about what they're acutally teaching and trying to teach their kids. If you haven't instilled it by age 18....you need to look @ your methods of teaching.

Well, I am on the flip side of this debate. I had a car in high school and when I was a Senior about to leave for college my parents informed me that I would NOT be taking my car with me. Of course I pitched a fit? and I hated the fact that my car was sitting in the garage collecting dust. Then? school started. I went to a school in the middle of nowhere, and the city is based upon and built around the school. After just a few weeks, I realized I didn?t need my car. In fact, my car was a luxury and NOT a necessity. Everything I needed was either on campus or in walking distance. Being from Houston, I could always catch a ride home with someone that I trusted on the weekends. Plus, the waiting list to even get a garage spot on campus was a year wait anyway? so I would have to play musically chairs with my car on a daily basis because the parking rules were so inconvenient.

So basically, I truly think that NOT having my car lead me to being more self-sufficient and I appreciated the art of walking more. If you attended a university where parking is a serious issue, I think that freshman should be the first to be forced to leave their cars at home. It teaches you put your priorities in the right place? it?s about your education? and not flossing your ride. I have already decided that when I have kids, and when they get to college, they will NOT be allowed to take their ride with them (assuming they already have one). I believe my parents knew what they were doing.

I think students should have cars if they can swing it. I lived in PB, plus I had a car, so I really can't relate, other than to say my out of state friends got on my DAYUM NERVES thinking I was a frigging shuttle meant to drive them to and from the airport!

However, once I started charging a fee of a pint a trip ... well, it didn't stop ... but at least I didn't complain anymore! :D

I think I remember hearing stories about that woman y'all are referring to from my PB friends who went to JSU ... was she Academy Award type melodramatic when it came to academics?

Man not having a car is utter B.S. I had a car when I was in high school, took that same car to college and if it wasn't for that car, there would have been some long faces at Dixon Hall ... Grown people need cars so they are not dependent on others. A young lady especially needs a car.. I remember many nights females were calling trying to hustle up a ride, and I didn't feel like going... JSX can account for a near fatal trip involved with giving females rides to Burger King... (Heh Heh)....

I don't know about anywhere else, but if you go to school in a one horse town like Jackson, not having a car can bring a lot of disappointment and inconvenience..

And for the record Dr. Harvey was crazy as a bessie bug...

She discouraged us going to summer school.. she claimed that it wouldn't help your g.p.a.

She discouraged us from going and getting a phd straight after graduation.

She discouraged us from joing fraternities and sororities...

She discouraged us from talking to the opposite sex except for comparing study notes...

Do I need to go on?

Originally posted by Vinita
I think I remember hearing stories about that woman y'all are referring to from my PB friends who went to JSU ... was she Academy Award type melodramatic when it came to academics?

Melodramatic is a nice way of putting it. When it came to academics, she was unbearable. I can still hear her in my ear now (while shaking her head furiously)(with Spanish accent), "no, no, no, Michael. You cannot blah blah blah . . .."

I wonder if she still rolling around in that raggedy azz Pinto. That yalla thang had me LMAO all the time.

Re: Let's riiiiddddeeeeee

Originally posted by Robber
I remember the summer before enrolling at JSU, the Dean of Honors College, Dr. Maria Luisa Alvarez-Harvey, ...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I am mad at you for puting her whole name in the thread :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Re: Let's riiiiddddeeeeee

Originally posted by SexyASSJSU*ATL

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I am mad at you for puting her whole name in the thread :lmao: :lmao:
Unless I was talking directly to her, in which case it was "Dr. Harvey", I always called her Dr. Maria Luisa Alvarez-Harvey.:p

I didn't have a car my first semester on campus. I was in the band and my weekends were already decided. So that wasn't a problem.
My second semester, I didn't have a car the first few weeks. My dad got tired of coming down here on Friday (his day off) and bringing me back Sunday afternoon. He told me, "Ain't no way in "L" I'm picking you up and taking you back to school when I have a car that isn't doing anything but sitting here!! Take this car and when you want to come home, drive your dayum self!!"</b> I still didn't go anywhere once I had the car. Gas is "L" in a deuce!!

Thus began the legend of <b>Da Tank</b> aka my '80 Buick Electra. :bawling:

Back