11 Prairie View nursing students caught cheating on test

delock

BARBERSHOP COO
University says they won't be allowed to graduate
By MIKE TOLSON
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
<!-- rbox goes here -->

<!-- end toolbox --> <!-- Airport Code (Kayak) --> <!-- end Airport Code (Kayak) -->
<!-- end rboxRail --> <!-- <TM PL_VAR NAME="f.component.6"> -->
<!-- rbox ends here --> Eleven Prairie View A&M University nursing students were caught cheating on a comprehensive examination last month and were not allowed to graduate with their class, the university said.
The students, who were using cell phones to text-message other students who had finished the exam, will be allowed to re-enroll this fall and will be required to take a course in ethics. They also must take the examination again. If they pass, they will be allowed to graduate in December.
"We never want to have any type of break in our university policies," said Betty Adams, dean of the nursing school. "We always take it as a matter of criticality when there is one. We have a protocol in the university and believe in due process. We handled this as we would any other matter on any other day."
Other students noticed the cheating and reported it to faculty members who were present. An ensuing university investigation brought students before a student court.
"They did go through student hearings," said school spokesman Bryce Kennard. "These 11 'fessed up, if you will, but it was never clearly defined who precisely did what and how many were involved."
Ten of the students agreed to return in the fall. The 11th student has not responded, he said.
The examination takes four to five hours to complete. Students are allowed to take breaks and leave the room, Kennard said, however, the text-messaging was done while students were seated and taking the test.
Approximately 45 Prairie View nursing students graduated this spring.
mike.tolson@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5806292.html

Lady From Montgomery County lol said:
They, and their parents, should enter counseling to determine why they chose such a <font color="red">dysfunctional pathway</font>...it has to be from a life long set of circumstances which taught them to cut corners and to engage in dishonest behaviors...if they don't correct that now, and I seriously doubt they will, they will never be successful in life.

Relative of Panthro lol said:
physicsteacher wrote:
They should be expelled and that is that. Educational dishonesty at the college level used to be an academic death sentence.

I couldn't agree more. If you don't belong in college, you really shouldn't be there wasting someone else's space. :read:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I do not know about recent years, but PV consistently had the highest test scores on this exam in the state. Year ago there were accusations of cheating but the students were cleared. I will bet that some outside of PV will make some of those same accusations.

BTW the use of cell phones in cheating has been reported to be a national wide problem.

How do you get caught cheating -- Everyone has cheated in some form or fashion as an undergrad. I used to do the text message thing back in the day but that was before you could do all the crazy stuff with cell phones in 2004. Plus, I didn't share it with anyone. If I was going down, I was going down by myself. I didn't cheat in grad school.

I remember I got caught cheating in high school and my teacher took my test and threw it out of the door.

How do you get caught cheating -- Everyone has cheated in some form or fashion as an undergrad. I used to do the text message thing back in the day but that was before you could do all the crazy stuff with cell phones in 2004. Plus, I didn't share it with anyone. If I was going down, I was going down by myself. I didn't cheat in grad school.

I remember I got caught cheating in high school and my teacher took my test and threw it out of the door.

Keep that one over there newboy-------------------->. :|

Some of <b>us</b> have never EVER cheated in LIFE throughout our academic career. I'm one of those "us." :read: And I CERTAINLY hate cheaters w/ a mad passion. :mad:

They're attempting to diminish the hard work and SACRIFICE that some have made to master a course-work by taking the "short-cut" and cheating. :retard: I'd never seen actual cheating until I got to PV where these "upper-classmen" :retard: were attempting to pay me to write their programs. Now, how the *F* can someone sleep @ night THINKING they deserved a computer science degree and <b>your sorry stupid dumb ass CANNOT program</b> is so beyond me. :retard: I knew they didn't deserve their degree, a few recent PhD Comp Sci instructors @ PV KNEW those same "upper-classmen" didn't deserve their degree, and yet the "upper-classmen" cheated their way out of their senior year and actually allowed a paultry 18 yr old FRESHMAN outperform them in programming logic/mathematics... hell, everything. :emlaugh: Grad school was the worst IMO. Those <b>dummies</b> @ Howard from a certain OVC school, <b>SWAC schools (2 people from PV who didn't cheat ever were Chris and myself - marinate on that "Big 3" :retard: :swink: )</b> :retard: lol :emlaugh: :swink:, 2 MEAC schools lol, and one CIAA school were the WORST of the WORST piece of TRASH I'd ever had the displeasure of encountering in my entire life! :emlaugh: F'N dummies. lol

There should've been 2 disciplines of Computer Science back in the day: A degree for Computer Scientists :tup: and a degree called "I Know How To Turn a PC On Science" :emlaugh: F'N dummies.... :lol:

They are horrible cheaters!!

Why the heyal would you use text messaging while sitting in the room taking the test!??!

They wanted to get caught!!

I aint hating...cuz I have cheated before...got caught before...kept right on cheating!!

Fugg what yall talking about! I'm trying to figure out how I can cheat on my next test!

:lmao:

I constantly pray that people who cheat never EVER hold an <b>important position in life lol</b> or actually hold seomeone's life/future in their hands. :read: Can't imagine being operated on by someone who didn't master their discipline or being on a Boeing airplane and a "cheater" designed the wing angles/stress calculations, etc while a whole lot of lives are(were) literally, in the "cheater's" hands. :lol: Funny isn't it?

You study to master a subject and become proficient (effective, solve issues, etc). What's the point in cheating? Why attend school if you cheat? It's very oxy<b>moron</b>ic. lol

As an alum, I'd be ashamed if someone attended the same school as I and cheated their way through. :tdown:

Cheating on exams will get your EXPELLED from SULC. About 4 years ago, we (faculty) banned cell phones in the examination rooms because of an allegation of cheating through texting. We will not certify you for the Bar if you are involved in anyway in cheating. Very serious matter in law school! :tup:

This is the very reason why high school kids can't have cellphones during school hours. You would think once folks get to the college level, especially when they're in their prospective field of study, they'd actually resort to studying vs cheating....but hey, that's just me. :rolleyes:

I constantly pray that people who cheat never EVER hold an <b>important position in life lol</b> or actually hold seomeone's life/future in their hands. :read: Can't imagine being operated on by someone who didn't master their discipline or being on a Boeing airplane and a "cheater" designed the wing angles/stress calculations, etc while a whole lot of lives are(were) literally, in the "cheater's" hands. :lol: Funny isn't it?

You study to master a subject and become proficient (effective, solve issues, etc). What's the point in cheating? Why attend school if you cheat? It's very oxy<b>moron</b>ic. lol
. :tdown:
I totally agree. Would you want one of those nurses attending you if your health was on the line? They are lucky that they are getting a second chance. This wasn't a spelling test they were cheating on.

Cheating on exams will get your EXPELLED from SULC. About 4 years ago, we (faculty) banned cell phones in the examination rooms because of an allegation of cheating through texting. We will not certify you for the Bar if you are involved in anyway in cheating. Very serious matter in law school! :tup:

I NEED A GOOD LAWYER. :)

kids now have grown up only knowing computers and instant access via cell phones, instant messengers, etc.

kids have the cart before the horse mentality because they see everything hand delivered to the folks in society

up to the mid 90s.....a library and an encyclopedia was your only way to study..now kids can click a computer button and get these same things in a matter of seconds.....kids look at you funny when you mention a reference card system in the library....

kids now should be so smart since theyhave it all that older folks should be listening to them...however, they've gotten dumber in some cases as they get things too easy and they work less.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
kids now have grown up only knowing computers and instant access via cell phones, instant messengers, etc.

kids have the cart before the horse mentality because they see everything hand delivered to the folks in society

up to the mid 90s.....a library and an encyclopedia was your only way to study..now kids can click a computer button and get these same things in a matter of seconds.....kids look at you funny when you mention a reference card system in the library....

kids now should be so smart since theyhave it all that older folks should be listening to them...however, they've gotten dumber in some cases as they get things too easy and they work less.

In so many ways this is very correct. I could go on about these.

Back