10mm Handguns & More

Herbert77060

Texas Southern University
I ran across this article about the 10mm handgun making a comeback. Does anyone have one? Has anyone ever shot one?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Had a glock 20. I mean, it's cool for what it is but sometimes the ammo is hard to find, costs too much and unless you plan on bear hunting or something it really doesn't serve much of a purpose. Think I sold mine in like a month. Too bulky for concealed carry and not something I want to shoot at the crib for self defense. For me it's more of a novelty or collector type thing.

I ran across this article about the 10mm handgun making a comeback. Does anyone have one? Has anyone ever shot one?

Many articles about guns are cloaked sales pitches. The 10mm was never popular so I don't know how much of a comeback it will be making. The 10mm picked up a little steam in notoriety about thirty years ago, right around the time I began my career, back then the FBI switched to it from the 9mm. Very few local law enforcement agencies, if any at all, made the same switch because the 10mm is a difficult weapon to master. It is cumbersome and kicks like a mule.

The FBI's move to it didn't last all that long. After several years of use; they switched again to the 40 caliber and so did many local agencies.

To each his own, but if you're considering a pistol for home protection and you rarely shoot a weapon I would recommend a 9mm. If you go range shooting at least three times a year I recommend a 40 caliber assuming you shoot fairly accurately.

With all that said, a shotgun still remains the recommended and preferred choice for home protection.

Last edited:
Many articles about guns are cloaked sales pitches. The 10mm was never popular so I don't know how much of a comeback it will be making. The 10mm picked up a little steam in notoriety about thirty years ago, right around the time I began my career, back then FBI switched to it from the 9mm. Very few local law enforcement agencies, if any at all, made the same switch because the 10mm is a difficult weapon to master. It is cumbersome and kicks like a mule.

The FBI's move to it didn't last all that long. After several years of use; they switched again to the 40 caliber and so did many local agencies.

To each his own, but if you're considering a pistol for home protection and you rarely shoot a weapon I would recommend a 9mm. If you go range shooting at least three times a year I recommend a 40 caliber assuming you shoot fairly accurately.

With all that said, a shotgun still remains the recommended and preferred choice for home protection.

Great information. I’m trying to decide now between the Springfield XDM 9mm or 40 cal.

Many articles about guns are cloaked sales pitches. The 10mm was never popular so I don't know how much of a comeback it will be making. The 10mm picked up a little steam in notoriety about thirty years ago, right around the time I began my career, back then FBI switched to it from the 9mm. Very few local law enforcement agencies, if any at all, made the same switch because the 10mm is a difficult weapon to master. It is cumbersome and kicks like a mule.

I was just curious. Thanks for that info and you know I definitely value your expertise in this area. My son says I have enough protection.....LOL

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Yes. Interesting.

I like the FN FiveSeven too.

It just doesn't seem to be practical for me because the ammunition can be relatively expensive and hard to find at times.
Yeah, that is what I am hearing. I am still somewhat of a novice. Pricing is closer to my liking than the FN.

.38 special if you are looking for a revolver. .380 if you are looking for a semi-automatic I would say. I am partial to Ruger...not too expensive.

Last edited:
Looking for something small but effective for my wife. Any suggestions?
I got my old lady a .38 ladies Smith and Wesson from Larry's pawn shop a few years ago. It's pearl white and fits perfectly in her pocket book.

Last edited:
You only get one shot - two at most - before having to reload. If you squeeze off both barrels at the same time you get one shot. What if four guys break into your house?

I think a shotgun could be the ultimate home defense weapon but I would go with something like a 9 shot Mossberg 590. With a shell holder on the buttstock. Loaded with 00 or 000 buckshot.

I'd choose a shotgun over an AR for home defense because you can point and shoot and you don't have to worry (as much) about overpenetration. Bullets going through walls and possibly hitting unintended targets. Shoot an AR inside your house and you have to worry about accidentally killing the neighbor down the street.
I have a 6 shot Mossberg and 00 buckshot

Back