‘Routine’ Jobs Are Disappearing

Olde Hornet

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/routine-jobs-disappearing-150000919.html

One of the most worrying economic trends over the past few decades has been the decline of middle-class jobs in the U.S.

As “routine” jobs—often middle-class work based on a relatively narrow set of repeated tasks, such as welding-machine operators or bank tellers—disappear, many workers who would typically have held them have taken on lower-paying low-skill manual work or simply dropped out of the labor force, according to new research from a trio of economists.

The paper, called “Disappearing Routine Jobs,” provides more evidence that the transformation of work in the U.S.—from an industrial economy to a digital one where routine work is automated or outsourced and the remaining jobs are concentrated in low-paid service work or high-skilled knowledge work—is contributing to the shrinking labor-force participation rate, said co-author Henry Siu, a professor at the University of British Columbia.

The share of Americans working in routine jobs has fallen from 40.5% in 1979 to 31.2% in 2014, according to the paper. The federal government’s official measure of Americans age 16 and over who are working or seeking work has fallen from a recent high of 67.3% in 2000 to 62.7% in November 2016.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's going to get worse especially if minimum wage increases.

@jsupop33
Without minimum wage increase these jobs are gone. I'm not supporter of $15 either. With out a skill you will no longer be able to get a high paying job. Even secretaries have to do multiple jobs now. At some companies secretary people do security and regular secretary work alone with other jobs such as technical writing sometimes.

Without minimum wage increase these jobs are gone. I'm not supporter of $15 either. With out a skill you will no longer be able to get a high paying job. Even secretaries have to do multiple jobs now. At some companies secretary people do security and regular secretary work alone with other jobs such as technical writing sometimes.

Many offices have completely done away with a secretary. For example my job as an Assessor we don't have a secretary. Yet, I work for the state.

Macy's, Sears, and KMart are closing stores. The safest place to work these days is in some form of state or federal government.

Many offices have completely done away with a secretary. For example my job as an Assessor we don't have a secretary. Yet, I work for the state.

Some places don't need them. Unless you are in a place that really needs one like where you see people face to face.

A lot of those stores are closing because what they offer is cheaper elsewhere even their own websites.

Macys kept trying to sell stuff that cost too much like Sean John-no matter how much they reduced it-nobody wanted it.

And many left the black community. Almost every one of those places closing have a common theme-left the black community.

Back