‘Brutal’ video shows white officer violently arresting black man sitting on his mother’s porch

Olde Hornet

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-on-his-mothers-porch/?utm_term=.7ca77ee2539d

Dejuan Yourse was outside his mother’s house, sitting on the front porch in Greensboro, N.C., when two police officers arrived.

They’d received a report about a possible burglary and a man with a shovel trying to open a house’s garage. When they saw Yourse on the porch, they asked what he was doing and why he was there.

Yourse explained that he didn’t have a key to his mother’s house and he was waiting for her to get home. When one of them seemed suspicious, Yourse tried to get the officer on the phone with his mother, but the call rolled to voicemail. He also told him to talk to neighbors to verify his identity.

The confrontation between Yourse, who is black, and the white officer, Travis Cole — captured in body cameras — started out as a cordial conversation, but it escalated after only a few minutes. The June incident resulted in an internal affairs investigation by the Greensboro Police Department, which found that Cole used excessive force on Yourse and violated other agency rules when he punched and violently arrested the 36-year-old man, who had not committed a crime.

Last August, two months after the incident, Cole resigned. The other officer involved in the incident, Officer C.N. Jackson, left her post last week, according to media reports.

As I tell white people....if this was a white man sitting on his mom's porch they would have asked him if he saw anything suspicious. Moreover, I also tell them that if a white guy was seen walking down the street in a black neighborhood no one would say anything. Yet, vice versa....a different story.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Another point where were the neighbors? It's somebody ALWAYS home and someone could have come and said "he lives there."

What was the trigger for arrest? Was it the phone conversation? No new information had been received by the officer. Painful to watch, the arrogance and lack of respect displayed by the officer.

As I tell white people....if this was a white man sitting on his mom's porch they would have asked him if he saw anything suspicious. Moreover, I also tell them that if a white guy was seen walking down the street in a black neighborhood no one would say anything. Yet, vice versa....a different story.
Man you should see the college looking white boys walking around the Southside of Chicago looking for drugs, the cops know it, but they don't get stopped. But let you or I get lost in a white neighborhood on the Northside, it'd be a different story.

Man you should see the college looking white boys walking around the Southside of Chicago looking for drugs, the cops know it, but they don't get stopped. But let you or I get lost in a white neighborhood on the Northside, it'd be a different story.

So very true!!!!

This is the very reason I don't want to buy or build a home in Ruston. I would fiscally forced to build it on the white side of town because I know the surroundings will ensure that it maintained it's value. Yet, I'm not going to place my sons or myself in a situation where they will be potentially harassed by police. I purchased an acre in what is considered one of the more affluent areas in Grambling where new homes are being built.

The officer resigned during the investigation before he could be fired, and the prosecutors declined to pursue charges, a move that the council does not agree with. I admit, I haven't watched the entire video yet, but have heard bits and pieces of this story. Council is asking for it to be re-examined for charges against the officer.
-------------------
http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...cle_3b82e223-657d-536c-8ba6-cb2ca675c66b.html

In August, the Guilford County District Attorney’s office declined to charge Cole with assault and declined to file charges against Yourse for resisting arrest and assault on government officials.

The resolution the council approved Monday says it “is deeply concerned about the prosecutorial opinion rendered in this case,” adding that prosecutors should “review this incident again.”

The resolution also urges the state law enforcement licensing agency to revoke Cole’s certification “so he will not be eligible to serve as a law enforcement officer in the future.”

In a separate vote, also unanimous, the council voted to ask the court to expunge the charges Cole and Jackson filed against Yourse. Councilwoman Sharon Hightower asked for the move so people who check Yourse’s criminal background won’t see the charges in the future.

Councilman Mike Barber, who was out of town, said later Monday that the council “has abandoned facts and logic and is being guided by personal and popular political agendas and public pressure.”

“The officer’s behavior was wrong and the process worked; he is no longer employed by the Greensboro Police Department,” Barber said.

Back