Why Hispanics avoiding HBCUs (especially in TX)

tsugraytiger

So it looks like the two largest HBCUs in Texas STILL have Hispanic populations below 10% (the lowest among public colleges in the state). Texas is about 50% Hispanic and Houston ISD school district is like 60% Hispanic. Hispanics are like the fastest growing group in Texas. I thought by 2022, we would see at least 20-25% Hispanics at Texas Southern but the Hispanic population practically hasn't changed in over 20 years which is a bit alarming. And as much as the media try to group us together with their "black and brown" rhetoric, there's actually little mixing of the two groups from my eyes. We are gonna need more local Hispanics to enroll for us to really grow and get additional state funding but I really think they are turned off by the "blackness" of HBCUs (pop black culture and entertainers don't count of course).

Any thoughts? And I know for a fact TSU has stepped up its Hispanic outreach with "Dia del Tigre" (preview day for Hispanics high schoolers and CC students) and practically nothing has come of it. Outside a notable number of Hispanics in the band, they never had a strong presence on campus in any way. But they definitely have taken over the neighboring UH and UH-Downtown ... they are a strong majority there.

Last edited:
We are ok on the Hill with our overall growth. Sounds like you're upset that TSU is specifically reaching out to Hispanics but they aren't really biting.

Let's be real Cuban Americans sold their sell to white folks a long time ago for wealth and social acceptance. Mexicans are like the poor dude who grew up in the hood and made it out. They with you when we all down and out, but as soon as they get a job, a house and a car they despise everything about the hood.

Lets be honest here, nearly half of those "Brown" people are here in the U.S. illegally, and comes to the U.S. primarily from neighboring Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries of Guatamala, Honduras, and El Salvador. They come here well aware of the history and plight of Black Americans. Consequently, once they cross the Rio Grande and firmly establish themselves, they seek to quietly assimilate into American life and culture. That is best done by assimilating into "White" life and culture not "Black" life and culture. This would explain the slow growth in Brown students at TSU and the explosion in growth at UH. A family friend and recently-retired teacher in the HISD shared how a couple of her former students (Guatamalan brother & sister) would come to class with white cooking flour all over their arms, hands and faces so as to look "whiter" and thereby gain greater acceptance by their white administrators, faculty, and classmates. They over-power our public school districts because that is a free public service, perhaps the most important of all free public services in their views. So, in the HISD, public dollars are being used to educate largely a populace that falls outside the boundaries of American citizenry and whose families have not been life-long taxpayers to the coffers of the HISD or any other American entity that benefits from public tax dollars.

Last edited:
So it looks like the two largest HBCUs in Texas STILL have Hispanic populations below 10% (the lowest among public colleges in the state). Texas is about 50% Hispanic and Houston ISD school district is like 60% Hispanic. Hispanics are like the fastest growing group in Texas. I thought by 2022, we would see at least 20-25% Hispanics at Texas Southern but the Hispanic population practically hasn't changed in over 20 years which is a bit alarming. And as much as the media try to group us together with their "black and brown" rhetoric, there's actually little mixing of the two groups from my eyes. We are gonna need more local Hispanics to enroll for us to really grow and get additional state funding but I really think they are turned off by the "blackness" of HBCUs (pop black culture and entertainers don't count of course).

Any thoughts? And I know for a fact TSU has stepped up its Hispanic outreach with "Dia del Tigre" (preview day for Hispanics high schoolers and CC students) and practically nothing has come of it. Outside a notable number of Hispanics in the band, they never had a strong presence on campus in any way. But they definitely have taken over the neighboring UH and UH-Downtown ... they are a strong majority there.
UHD's location, the north side of downtown Houston, literally is next door to a large number of Hispanic communities that stretch out for miles going farther north. Also, UHD has been viewed as a Hispanic serving institution by political elites down this way for a while now. It is not by accident or coincidence that five of the eleven presidents there have been Hispanic, and of that number four of the last six were.

With that said, whatever iniatives are taken up to increase enrollment with their communities will yield minimal results for now. They can't be blamed for finding comfort in being surrounded by their own no more than we can.

Last edited:
Lets be honest here, nearly half of those "Brown" people are here in the U.S. illegally, and comes to the U.S. primarily from neighboring Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries of Guatamala, Honduras, and El Salvador. They come here well aware of the history and plight of Black Americans. Consequently, once they cross the Rio Grande and firmly establish themselves, they seek to quietly assimilate into American life and culture. That is best done by assimilating into "White" life and culture not "Black: life and culture. This would explain the slow growth in Brown students at TSU and the explosion in growth at UH. A family friend and recently-retired teacher in the HISD shared how a couple of her former students (Guatamalan brother & sister) would come to class with white cooking flour all over their arms, hands and face so as to look "whiter" and thereby gain greater acceptance by their white administrators, faculty, and classmates. They over-power our public school districts because that is a free public service, perhaps the most important of all free public services in their views. So, in the HISD, public dollars are being used to educate largely a populace that falls outside the boundaries of American citizenry and whose families have not been life-long taxpayers to the coffers of the HISD or any other American entity that benefits from public tax dollars.

This is so true, my wife was up for a VP job at a charter school and the reason she didn't get it is because the Hispanic parents raised a big stink that the position should be filled by one of their own because it wasn't enough spanish speaking representation. Once they filled the job with a Hispanic , the person got bribed away for more money and didn't stay in the spot a whole school year smh

We are ok on the Hill with our overall growth. Sounds like you're upset that TSU is specifically reaching out to Hispanics but they aren't really biting.
PV continued growth is unlikely if enough Texas Hispanics don't buy into PV soon .... it will stall out or decline. Just wait and see if you don't believe me. You forget that TSU was over 10K which PV has yet to get to. The only HBCU to have sustained growth for the last 5 years is NC A&T ... no other HBCU has been able to do so.

Last edited:
honestly and not racist - Hispanics have overtaken several local school districts in Houston - they're the dominant race in Waller County's two school districts - Once they are the dominant race in a school, the issue is they don't participate in things and have killed extracurricular activities at schools with lack of support unless there are still a large group of non-Hispanics participating

now you are faced in trying to get them to come to a HBCU? good luck - the ones with college aspirations everyone wants them and the more educated ones living in the deep suburbs in Houston and Dallas will go to Texas A&M/UT, etc. The ones that want to go to college but will stay close to home and go somewhere like HCC or University of Houston but they're strictly commuter students who don't care about extra stuff and that's a huge number- you'll get a "few" who'll go to HBCUs but those normally have been involved in an activity in high school like band which allowed them to take a path to college - that's a small group though

not having Africa within a four hour drive will keep pushing black numbers down- you have Mexico, Central America and South America below fueling US growth and they populate more at a much faster rate - our black females aren't pumping babies out like theirs unfortunately

When HBCUs closed admissions you lost the momentum to 20K easily as TSU, Southern, etc. had 11K in the 90s and college was still affordable - are schools are stuck at 8-12K cause we're all trying to compete for the same black student when that hispanic pool can make up for it but they're not a easy group to convince as they prefer comfort than anything

where is this super large and vast pool of college-ready blacks like whites and Hispanics have? Blacks are only 11% of the US population

Lets be honest here, nearly half of those "Brown" people are here in the U.S. illegally, and comes to the U.S. primarily from neighboring Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries of Guatamala, Honduras, and El Salvador. They come here well aware of the history and plight of Black Americans. Consequently, once they cross the Rio Grande and firmly establish themselves, they seek to quietly assimilate into American life and culture. That is best done by assimilating into "White" life and culture not "Black: life and culture. This would explain the slow growth in Brown students at TSU and the explosion in growth at UH. A family friend and recently-retired teacher in the HISD shared how a couple of her former students (Guatamalan brother & sister) would come to class with white cooking flour all over their arms, hands and face so as to look "whiter" and thereby gain greater acceptance by their white administrators, faculty, and classmates. They over-power our public school districts because that is a free public service, perhaps the most important of all free public services in their views. So, in the HISD, public dollars are being used to educate largely a populace that falls outside the boundaries of American citizenry and whose families have not been life-long taxpayers to the coffers of the HISD or any other American entity that benefits from public tax dollars.
I respectfully disagree.

PV continued growth is unlikely if enough Texas Hispanics don't buy into PV soon .... it will stall out or decline. Just wait and see if you don't believe me. You forget that TSU was over 10K which PV has yet to get to. The only HBCU to have sustained growth for the last 5 years is NC A&T ... no other HBCU has been able to do so.

The key word in that sentence "was" , PV will probably hit the 10K mark this fall as there has been a uptick in off campus housing close to the University.

SCHOOLFALL 2021 HEAD COUNTCHANGE SINCE 2019
Prairie View A&M U. (Texas)9,426Up 5 percent
Texas Southern U.7,524Down 17 percent

honestly and not racist - Hispanics have overtaken several local school districts in Houston - they're the dominant race in Waller County's two school districts - Once they are the dominant race in a school, the issue is they don't participate in things and have killed extracurricular activities at schools with lack of support unless there are still a large group of non-Hispanics participating

now you are faced in trying to get them to come to a HBCU? good luck - the ones with college aspirations everyone wants them and the more educated ones living in the deep suburbs in Houston and Dallas will go to Texas A&M/UT, etc. The ones that want to go to college but will stay close to home and go somewhere like HCC or University of Houston but they're strictly commuter students who don't care about extra stuff and that's a huge number- you'll get a "few" who'll go to HBCUs but those normally have been involved in an activity in high school like band which allowed them to take a path to college - that's a small group though

not having Africa within a four hour drive will keep pushing black numbers down- you have Mexico, Central America and South America below fueling US growth and they populate more at a much faster rate - our black females aren't pumping babies out like theirs unfortunately

When HBCUs closed admissions you lost the momentum to 20K easily as TSU, Southern, etc. had 11K in the 90s and college was still affordable - are schools are stuck at 8-12K cause we're all trying to compete for the same black student when that hispanic pool can make up for it but they're not a easy group to convince as they prefer comfort than anything

where is this super large and vast pool of college-ready blacks like whites and Hispanics have? Blacks are only 11% of the US population

1) You're very right about Texas Hispanics (especially those in rural areas or the city) are not usually "Americanized" . I have noticed the predominately Hispanic high schools usually lack notable participation in extracurriculars which can be kinda said of inner-city Black high schools nowadays too. The main difference is that the inner-city black high schools tend to excel in a few sports and often produce highly ranked college recruited athletes, Hispanic high schools only excel (winning record) in MAYBE boys soccer and rarely produce high quality college recruited athletes.

2) TSU is not even really closed admission. It's still a low level of entry to the university. If you're not able to make the super low ACT/SAT score and GPA requirement ... you can enroll in summer school for 1 or 2 I'm sure are relatively easy classes to pass and you're officially in.

3) I forgot to mention that HCC is overwhelming Hispanic. TSU has a special admission agreement with HCC to make it easier for their students to enroll but yet and still very few Hispanics are interested in enrolling. I think PV has the same agreement and same result.

Last edited:

I disagree. PV has been turning away potential students. PV is not in the middle of Houston so without the infrasture in place to support a massive influx of students, it would be detrimental to our graduation and retention rates. We've gotten smarter on how we're managing our growth these days. We're not just taking anybody just to have them on campus. The average GPA for this year's freshman class is up to 3.3. Texas has the largest Black population of any state so I disagree with your assertion that we'll need a 20- 25% hispanic student body to maintain or grow our enrollment. There is still alot of potential growth from our target demo even with almost 10% of the enrollment at PV being hispanic.

I disagree. PV has been turning away potential students. PV is not in the middle of Houston so without the infrasture in place to support a massive influx of students, it would be detrimental to our graduation and retention rates. We've gotten smarter on how we're managing our growth these days. We're not just taking anybody just to have them on campus. The average GPA for this year's freshman class is up to 3.3. Texas has the largest Black population of any state so I disagree with your assertion that we'll need a 20- 25% hispanic student body to maintain or grow our enrollment. There is still alot of potential growth from our target demo even with almost 10% of the enrollment at PV being hispanic.
1) Texas has had the largest black population for a while now. That never equated to sustained growth for our HBCUs ... PV and TSU been fluctuating for a long time. Black Texans still prefer PWIs over HBCU mainly due to convenience and self-hatred is still rampant amongst Black Texans. And just a reminder, the state's best HBCUs are ONLY in the state's Gulf Coast region.

2) PVAMU is expected to be at 11K+ by 2035 according to the Texas college commission. See below.

3) Hispanics are a must if TSU and PV grow or sustain a healthy population of students. PV has over 1,400 acres of land and an over $100 million endowment... they have the resources for the infrastructure to support many more students.

We should recruit more Afro Latinos because they have more in common with us. Those Hispanics who identify as white will never fully support anything black.
I don't know about that CEE. Well, the ones that I have met, well, never mind. That is a whole nother thread.

How-so? You need come to Alabama, and see why they hang out on the weekend. I can find majority on a damn soccer field, or drinking some hot azz beer.
You are just a punk ass racist. You couldn't even help youtself from going there again.

One of the guys that post on this site is Hispanic, and another is married to a Hispanic woman. Everybody was respectful with their post on this topic except your raggedy ass.

Last edited:
Back