Why Hispanics avoiding HBCUs (especially in TX)

PV's saving grace is middle to upper-middle-class blacks as the "Texas" school of choice if they go HBCU - especially in the Houston area - the engineering and nursing options are a huge asset - TSU does better recruiting from other cities outside Houston as its easy to sell houston and they can get more kids back if they have to leave elsewhere and come back

both schools have lost the inner city schools in Houston and Dallas as the base to get a consistent flow of African-american students due to HISD and DISD becoming majority hispanic- your talking about 30-40 schools easily gone so now your recruiting in suburban areas and fighting PWCs for that african American student who fits your profile and they have more options

and then the Lousiana/Mississippi schools have waived out of state fees and are trying to get from that same pot - once you get past San Antonio you have no AA base

UH got smart in the 80s and created UH Downtown to get that on the fence student and slowly tap into the base TSU used to get - they started putting more resources into UH Downtown especially once hispanics caught on to it and the rest is history as its a safety net school - UH has played very dirty by creating "commuter campuses" which has devalued traditional college life and their the first to complain when they can't get kids with school spirit

North texas in Dallas is a hispanic serving institution also - they're slowly tapping into South Dallas when an HBCU should've had that market publicly

just like Atlanta - the state was real smart in not putting an HBCU in the city or a few miles close knowing what it would've done

PV's saving grace is middle to upper-middle-class blacks as the "Texas" school of choice if they go HBCU - especially in the Houston area - the engineering and nursing options are a huge asset - TSU does better recruiting from other cities outside Houston as its easy to sell houston and they can get more kids back if they have to leave elsewhere and come back

both schools have lost the inner city schools in Houston and Dallas as the base to get a consistent flow of African-american students due to HISD and DISD becoming majority hispanic- your talking about 30-40 schools easily gone so now your recruiting in suburban areas and fighting PWCs for that african American student who fits your profile and they have more options

and then the Lousiana/Mississippi schools have waived out of state fees and are trying to get from that same pot - once you get past San Antonio you have no AA base

UH got smart in the 80s and created UH Downtown to get that on the fence student and slowly tap into the base TSU used to get - they started putting more resources into UH Downtown especially once hispanics caught on to it and the rest is history as its a safety net school - UH has played very dirty by creating "commuter campuses" which has devalued traditional college life and their the first to complain when they can't get kids with school spirit

North texas in Dallas is a hispanic serving institution also - they're slowly tapping into South Dallas when an HBCU should've had that market publicly

just like Atlanta - the state was real smart in not putting an HBCU in the city or a few miles close knowing what it would've done
Ohh this is good. I agree with all this and have thought about all this at some point. KUDOS!

PV is also highly preferred for middle to upper-middle-class blacks all over Texas not just Houston. TxSU can do a better job in attracting more of those students but our reputation needs to improve a bit more which will likely happen under the new president ... I mean our campus has come a long way! TxSU definitely does a better job in attracting out of state students with Houston and our popular band being the top selling points ... and I mean we're in the middle of Houston and a couple of minutes (easy traffic times) to 90% of all the cool things to do in the Houston area.

Last edited:
Our HBCUs need to make an effort to reach out to Latin students, its a growth area.
As I mentioned before, TSU has made a valid effort and it still isn't working to me. I guess we need to try harder but I'm not sure what that looks like ... we can't cure racism, most Hispanics just don't seem interested. I mean we have all kinds of Hispanic organizations on campus now but they still are not enrolling in notable numbers .... TSU Hispanic population has barely moved from 20 years ago. It stays between 5% - 8%.

Much of what you have written has merit, but UHD was established in the early 70's with a much more sinister motive. The state legislature wanted to merge the schools and swap the campuses of TSU and UHD to enlarge the campus of UH Central. It is just one of many efforts that have taken place in Austin over the years to further marginalize our school. Despite efforts like that we have endured.

The chair of the committee was Larry Temple, an attorney and member of the Coordinating Board of Education. After a full audit and consultation by an outside consulting group, the select committee made a recommendation for several universities to merge. Two were UH University Park and Texas Southern University. Immediately, TSU sent off a six-page letter decrying the proposal–they did not want to be subsumed, and saw the “merger” as nothing more than a convenient way of getting rid of a historically Black university which the state no longer wanted to fund.
https://uhdarchives.wordpress.com/category/uh-system/

Now as for the original topic, we can look for all the reasons we want other than what matters. Money talks, our tuition has put us at a competitive disadvantage. Our tuition is around two thousand dollars higher than UHD's. Indirectly, we happen to be asking potential Hispanic students to leave the comfort of being surrounded by their own, and pay a higher price for it. That just is not likely. We can either offer more scholarships and make it available immediately or lower our tuition cost. There's just not much more of an option than that.

Much of what you have written has merit, but UHD was established in the early 70's with a much more sinister motive. The state legislature wanted to merge the schools and swap the campuses of TSU and UHD to enlarge the campus of UH Central. It is just one of many efforts that have taken place in Austin over the years to further marginalize our school. Despite efforts like that we have endured.

The chair of the committee was Larry Temple, an attorney and member of the Coordinating Board of Education. After a full audit and consultation by an outside consulting group, the select committee made a recommendation for several universities to merge. Two were UH University Park and Texas Southern University. Immediately, TSU sent off a six-page letter decrying the proposal–they did not want to be subsumed, and saw the “merger” as nothing more than a convenient way of getting rid of a historically Black university which the state no longer wanted to fund.
https://uhdarchives.wordpress.com/category/uh-system/

Now as for the original topic, we can look for all the reasons we want other than what matters. Money talks, our tuition has put us at a competitive disadvantage. Our tuition is around two thousand dollars higher than UHD's. Indirectly, we happen to be asking potential Hispanic students to leave the comfort of being surrounded by their own, and pay a higher price for it. That just is not likely. We can either offer more scholarships and make it available immediately or lower our tuition cost. There's just not much more of an option than that.
Good point and I think UHD and UH marketing is really good at attracting Hispanics ... they have something called the "Gator Pledge" and "Cougar Promise". They both cover tuition and mandatory fees for all in-state freshmen in a household that's under $50K which is damn near most Hispanics in Texas. TSU doesn't have that so to speak. I believe I heard that TSU does cover tuition and fees for in-state low income students but it's not really marketed in a special way which is the dumbest thing ... that'll get more people enrolled if they did so.

As I mentioned before, TSU has made a valid effort and it still isn't working to me. I guess we need to try harder but I'm not sure what that looks like ... we can't cure racism, most Hispanics just don't seem interested. I mean we have all kinds of Hispanic organizations on campus now but they still are not enrolling in notable numbers .... TSU Hispanic population has barely moved from 20 years ago. It stays between 5% - 8%.
My and most other HBCUs are not focused on growing beyond AA students. If we want our HBCUs to survive and grow, its important to grow your student population. Quality academic's is what is growing NCAT and PVAMU. The other area most HBCUs fall short in is customer service. Many look at customer service as a necessary evil, verses making the process part of the quality of the university.

TSU needs to recruit Afrolatinos and more West Indian black students. Recruitment office can find plenty willing to help on THOSE pipelines. Hispanics in texas...recruiting wise for TSU- it's going to take a tuition cost decrease- or a a better advertisement towards all students in Hispanic majority districts that emphasis research and profs who are encouraging more research.
Hispanic students in small numbers but dedicated pools of recruitment- musicians and rare athletes. You will not get a majority because demographics don't bear that out for Americanized sports yet.
To increase Hispanic enrollment of undergrads- Hispanics in suburban schools with higher grades who express interest in research- so tech, finance and beefed up life sciences will get them to come your way for the price of enrolment if it isn't lowered.
TSU needs to do ALL of the above or we won't see an enrollment increase like we want without more visibility. We'll be small as our science/tech majors get stronger.
We are the ONLY HBCU with airway science. We need way WAY more advertising about that between Austin-Dallas-Houston asap.

1) Texas has had the largest black population for a while now. That never equated to sustained growth for our HBCUs ... PV and TSU been fluctuating for a long time. Black Texans still prefer PWIs over HBCU mainly due to convenience and self-hatred is still rampant amongst Black Texans. And just a reminder, the state's best HBCUs are ONLY in the state's Gulf Coast region.

2) PVAMU is expected to be at 11K+ by 2035 according to the Texas college commission. See below.

I take those projections with a grain of salt. PV will have way more students by 2035 than 11k.

Again, The City of PV does not currently have the infrastructre in place eventhough there is alot of ongoing development and planned development. This is the reason why PV has been capping undergraduate admissions. There are more ways to skin a cat and I think you're focused mostly on undergrads. At the end of the day, nothing trumps organic growth. We have a vibrant undergraduate, on-campus Hispanic population and as those kids go on and graduate they'll spread the word just as Black people have been doing for generations. IMO, it means more that way than simply paying them off to come.

But PV's key to non-Black growth will come from our growing graduate programs. Keep in mind, PV did not even offer doctoral programs until the 2000s and those programs have really taken off. The University is recruiting heavily for those current programs and has plans for other masters/doctoral programs. Houston's unchecked Urban sprawl will benefit PV. As the suburbs continue to push out into Waller County, PV will be an attractive option for those suburbanites of all colors who wish to obtain graduate degrees at either the main campus or the Northwest Center. And thats beyond the advance degrees and planned degrees the College of Nursing will be offering in the Medical Center. These may not be undergrads, but the money will be the same. I think TSU should focus on strengthening their Law and Pharmacy programs and sell the convenience factor to working Houstonians eventhough UH has undercut them.

This master planned development will be right at our doorstep and while the City of PV may not benefit, there is ALOT of potential to target working professionals who can conceivably attend evening courses a few miles from their homes. After 150 years of being relatively isolated from the population centers of Texas, we'll be able to sell convenience on the Hill.

Last edited:
THIS IS THE THREAT

THE SAM HOUSTON'S - SFA'S - they've chipped away at the AA enrollment and quietly snuck in the upped the hispanic enrollment but quiet as its kept alot of them have moved into the East Texas woods in what they call "Colonias" which are unincorporated areas

Cleveland, Texas is 6A after being 3A not too long ago - why? There's a small town nearby called Plum Grove, Texas - Greedy developers (you know who they are) bought large swaths of cheap land, cleared it out and marketed to hispanics in Mexico and they bit hook line and sinker

Tons of them moved to those places which were nothing but unpaved roads, unfinished homes and a racket but the population skyrocketed as a result -

Towns near sam Houston and sfa like Willis, etc have a real strong Hispanic population hidden in the woods so I'm not surprised

THIS IS THE THREAT

THE SAM HOUSTON'S - SFA'S - they've chipped away at the AA enrollment and quietly snuck in the upped the hispanic enrollment but quiet as its kept alot of them have moved into the East Texas woods in what they call "Colonias" which are unincorporated areas

Cleveland, Texas is 6A after being 3A not too long ago - why? There's a small town nearby called Plum Grove, Texas - Greedy developers (you know who they are) bought large swaths of cheap land, cleared it out and marketed to hispanics in Mexico and they bit hook line and sinker

Tons of them moved to those places which were nothing but unpaved roads, unfinished homes and a racket but the population skyrocketed as a result -

Towns near sam Houston and sfa like Willis, etc have a real strong Hispanic population hidden in the woods so I'm not surprised
This. Bullshit chaffes my ass how shsu has crept into montco and put a mf'ing med bldg in conroe.

All of those moves were very strategic. sfa and shsu signage on ih45 constant from Spring northward.

While I'm here, like what occurred at unt-denton, do NOT be surprised to see a Houston metro train going directly to the front door of that campus in hick huntsville. 👀 The county power structure hasn't gotten it altogether yet (fed funded metro system) but I do believe it is coming in the near future.

THIS IS THE THREAT

This. Bullshit chaffes my ass how shsu has crept into montco and put a mf'ing med bldg in conroe.

All of those moves were very strategic. sfa and shsu signage on ih45 constant from Spring northward.

While I'm here, like what occurred at unt-denton, do NOT be surprised to see a Houston metro train going directly to the front door of that campus in hick huntsville. 👀 The county power structure hasn't gotten it altogether yet (fed funded metro system) but I do believe it is coming in the near future.

Like in most states, blacks in Texas by and large do NOT prioritize HBCUs and the other races show the hell don't. Black Texans generally love the cultural aspect of Texas HBCUs but they not really big on attending or sending their kids to them unless it's engineering or law related. Usually it ain't until after they finish undergrad they'll admit they wish they went to a HBCU but it's too late by then ... they already spent thousands and still sending money to a PWI so don't mean much.

The black enrollment has steadily increased in recent years at most Texas PWIs ... especially UT Arlington, UNT, Lamar, Texas State, SHSU, TAMUCC, and SFA. While at HBCUs, only PV has seemingly experienced recent steady growth but I feel again without support from Texas Hispanics it will stall out or decline.

I would guess that PV and Texas So has WAYYYY more Hispanics than other SWAC HBCUs…. I was surprised at the number of Hispanics in their bands when they came to Huntsville.

THIS IS THE THREAT

I really shouldn't be in this thread because I have fought the battle for PVAMU and subsequently sTu from inside the cage where these folk are situated. I stay angry here, especially when PVAMU leadership shows zero interest in anything in this rancid redneck area. 😡

That jump Cleveland HS just did from a below avg 3A to now 6A in such a short period of time is remarkable. That iH69/59 N corridor buildup of that redneck Porter/New Caney ISD area is remarkable. CISD having 6/7 6A VERY large HSs with plans to add another in that grangerland area is remarkable. shsu was smart to "partner" with CISD, WISD, and misd and obviously it is paying off for them.

I joked w/ a colored shsu alum recently that they shouldn't be surprised if they play a few of their pending fbs football games at Woodforest in Tamina (can EASILY support and JUST revamped/improved to D-1 'like ready over the last year) while they get their stadium situation together at Bowers for smaller fbs capacity.

I would guess that PV and Texas So has WAYYYY more Hispanics than other SWAC HBCUs…. I was surprised at the number of Hispanics in their bands when they came to Huntsville.

Inner city and first suburban black bands have died out - the ones that have held on are relying on Hispanics to keep numbers decent

Blacks run to the newer areas and those bands don't allow that so they quit altogether - time the school changes over to majority black numbers are way down and they don't come back

Black folks can only blame themselves on that

Inner city and first suburban black bands have died out - the ones that have held on are relying on Hispanics to keep numbers decent

Blacks run to the newer areas and those bands don't allow that so they quit altogether - time the school changes over to majority black numbers are way down and they don't come back

Black folks can only blame themselves on that

Black folks move to the suburbs and don't do nothing but football and basketball in large numbers. Black participation in band statewide is down and thats sad but I suspect its a national trend.

HBCU bands in Texas will just have to alter the way that they recruit or just take the L. That can mean recruiting other races that have moved into our traditional recruiting areas (HISD,DISD,etc) or making inroads in the schools who are marching not only showstyle, but corps and military as well. As long as you're good on your horn, you can learn the fundamentals of marching. These days one of the Marching Storm's biggest feeder schools in Sunset High in Dallas which is damn near entirely hispanic. The band director there is from FAMU I believe but she sends alot of kids to PV.

Personally, I'm glad PV is aggressive recruiting statewide and has started hosting marching festivals on the Hill. They will be performing at the UIL Band State Championship in San Antonio as well. Everything plays a part.

I'm interested in seeing how Wiley College's band program will grow now that they've reintstated their band.

Back