Alabama State is top 3 right now

atl hornet

I’ve been very critical of my MMH in recent years. I’ve had no issues admitting we were near the bottom of the SWAC band wise and knew SU, JSU, Alcorn and sometimes PV were at the top of the food chain.

however after these few first weeks of the season, Bama State has once again joined the discussion of best band in the conference.

View: https://youtu.be/JY4gNGzW0LY

View: https://youtu.be/aUfOfFDroPI

View: https://youtu.be/6CeNnTKyyl4

View: https://youtu.be/rSxctjJ0Jmk

View: https://youtu.be/9B5htjXGY4M

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm watching the 5th with yall and JSU and I remembered this post. They really have an impressive sound. There's a pretty huge difference between ASU's cohesive sound and JSU, which sounds like every section is just trying to out loud each other on most songs. You may be on to something atl hornet.

funny considering Alcorn been the best in Mississippi for a couple years now

Why do you do that? Lol
That’s why nobody takes you serious.
You create threads naming JSU the best band in hbcus and say it’s been that way for years and no band is touching them. You list your ranking then as soon as someone from JSU says something you don’t like you say shit like Alcorn is the best band in Mississippi 😂. But you ranked them 3rd or 4th under JSU. Just stop it. If bama really is in your top 3 now then we don’t believe you lol because your bipolar syndrome might kick in tomorrow and yo ass will have them in the bottom 2. Lol you crazy like that.

You do that shit with southern band too lol
When someone from southern say y’all band trash you say JSU is the top band. Then you rank Gram over SU because you think it’ll piss them off.
You’re very hormonal. 😂

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Why do you do that? Lol
You create threads naming JSU the best band in hbcus and say it’s been that way for years and no band is touching them. You list your ranking then as soon as someone from JSU says something you don’t like you say shit like Alcorn is the best band in Mississippi 😂. But you ranked them 3rd or 4th under JSU. Just stop it. If bama really is in your top 3 now then we don’t believe you lol because your bipolar syndrome might kick in tomorrow and yo ass will have them in the bottom 2. Lol you crazy like that.

When someone from southern say y’all band trash you say JSU is the top band. Then you rank Gram over SU because you think it’ll piss them off.
You’re very hormonal. 😂

that was last years rankings my guy

you-mad-big.gif

Why do you do that? Lol

You’re very hormonal. 😂
He sure does. Him and Earle are two I Dnt pay attention to.

I just heard some of the band footage.

GOOD JOB BAMA STATE

You not on JSUs level BUT you sounded 100 times better than normal than that racket you all normally produce. You must have new directors/arrangers, etc.. because yall used to be raw garbage.

BTW the JSU fans were telling them to go home... LOL

GOOD JOB BAMA STATE

You not on JSUs level BUT you sounded 100 times better than normal than that racket you all normally produce. You must have new directors/arrangers, etc.. because yall used to be raw garbage.

I think BAMA STATE hired a director from Stillman? Stillman had a great sound in 2019, when this director was at Stillman.
View: https://youtu.be/rAY78E3-Ipw?t=1

Last edited:

GOOD JOB BAMA STATE

We would NEVER want to be on JSU’s level. Our only competition is ourselves! Let’s not talk about how after Bama State murdered JSU in Atlanta in 2008 that set the course for them to be the improved band they are now….

I think BAMA STATE hired a director from Stillman? Stillman had a great sound in 2019, when this director was at Stillman.
View: https://youtu.be/rAY78E3-Ipw?t=1

Yea he’s an assistant and an arranger. He’s an ASU grad as well. Still was amazing under him…y’all better hope and pray we don’t take LB from Miles..he was drum major when I was in the MMH but he’s an assistant at Miles now. If we get LB to join PJ & the other younger guys on staff it’s over for the SWAC

We would NEVER want to be on JSU’s level. Our only competition is ourselves! Let’s not talk about how after Bama State murdered JSU in Atlanta in 2008 that set the course for them to be the improved band they are now….

Yea he’s an assistant and an arranger. He’s an ASU grad as well. Still was amazing under him…y’all better hope and pray we don’t take LB from Miles..he was drum major when I was in the MMH but he’s an assistant at Miles now. If we get LB to join PJ & the other younger guys on staff it’s over for the SWAC

ATL 2008 was a prime example of yall sounding like a train wreck.

Also, yall are only Alabama State. You 50 yrs behind. No one will ever care about yall.

As tone quality and execution has greatly improved. Field shows too minus that opening fanfare that never sounds clean for some reason.
Overall soundwise I give them a solid HBCU 4 out of 6. I wouldn't give them a five because there are are things I heard on video against JSU with fatigue and sounding lik a few people don't know the music. I wouldn't give them a 6 for a few things in their phrasing. In the swac overall sound...I give the slight 6 to Cookman. But what they play is still very easy.

Ranking- I can't call it. If we're considering who is entertaining and sounds great on the field then I'd say Bama State is solidly top 6 not top 3. And those can be interchangeable.
Maybe for Bama State the ONE thing they would benefit from is a change in approach to drilling. Go for more complexity. If they do that, I'd say top 2 with their current sound then on the field.

Honorable mention: this marks year 6 by my count that their trombone section has all the elements of a jazz bone section: phrasing, funk, sweetness, harmonic balance and adjustment...kudos.

Back