Clarion Ledger SWAC football rankings: Has Jackson State passed Alabama A&M?

BG

1. Alabama A&M (1-0)​

The Bulldogs had an open week ahead of Thursday's conference opener in Florida against Bethune-Cookman. This week's matchup marks the conference defending champions' SWAC opener.

Last week's ranking: No. 1

2. Jackson State (2-0)​

JSU followed its season-opening win over Florida A&M with a dominant 38-16 victory over Tennessee State this past weekend. The Tigers had the SWAC offensive player of the week (Shedeur Sanders), defensive player of the week (James Houston IV) and special teams player of the week (Warren Newman III). JSU will play at FBS opponent Louisiana Monroe on Saturday.

Last week's ranking: No. 2

3. Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-0)​

The Golden Lions had an open week after opening the season with a 34-16 win over Lane College. UAPB now heads on the road to face 0-2 Central Arkansas on Saturday.

Last week's ranking: No. 3

4. Florida A&M (1-1)​

The Rattlers bounced back from the loss to No. 2 Jackson State with a 34-7 win over Fort Valley State on Saturday. The program's quarterback situation is up for grabs, as freshman Junior Muratovic threw two interceptions and one touchdown and junior quarterback Rasean McKay threw one touchdown and zero interceptions.

Last week's ranking: No. 4

5. Alcorn State (1-1)​

Coming off a bye week, the Braves opened the home schedule with a 13-10 win over Northwestern State. Quarterback Felix Harper solidified the win with a late touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Alcorn State now travels to face FBS opponent South Alabama.

Last week's ranking: No. 5

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I live in Monroe and plan to attend that game. Jackson state should be well represented in the attendance as the two cities are only 1 1/2 hours apart by automobile. There is no doubt in my mind that ULM will defeat JSU. I don't even think the game will be all that close. I also do not see AAMU beating BCU in Daytonia Beach Alcorn should be ranked higher than FAMU and UAPB. Any poll that has SU ranked in he bottolm half of the conference has got to be run by crazy people. These power rankings will change drastically this week and in the weeks to come.

Last edited:
I live in Monroe and plan to attend that game. Jackson state should be well represented in the attendance as the two cities are only 1 1/2 hours apart by automobile. There is no doubt in my mind that ULM will defeat JSU. I don't even think the game will be all that close. I also do not see AAMU beating BCU in Daytonia Beach This top 5 HBCU power ranking will change drastically this week and in the weeks to come.
Earle what is su going to do this weekend or did you forget y'all have a game 😆 🤣

What happens to AAMU if Glass gets hurt or is not able to play for whatever reason? Same question for JSU?

Last edited:
I live in Monroe and plan to attend that game. Jackson state should be well represented in the attendance as the two cities are only 1 1/2 hours apart by automobile. There is no doubt in my mind that ULM will defeat JSU. I don't even think the game will be all that close. I also do not see AAMU beating BCU in Daytonia Beach Alcorn should be ranked higher than FAMU and UAPB. Any poll that has SU ranked in he bottolm half of the conference has got to be run by crazy people. These power rankings will change drastically this week and in the weeks to come.
ULM is definitely beatable. If JSU can t get some offensive going, than this will be a interesting game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
AAMU didn't lose Saturda so they deserve to keep their #1 ranking. Plus SCSU is better than TSU so they can the top spot for now. Another tough task with BCU Saturday

ULM is definitely beatable. If JSU can t get some offensive going, than this will be a interesting game.
Of course they are beatable. They are very possibly the lowest ranked FBS team in the country and certainly in the bottom ten. JSU chose to schedule this lowly-ranked FBS team as its only FBS opponent, while other top SWAC programs scheduled more rigorous competition. In addition to ULM, JSU has scheduled Tennessee State and division 2 Delta State. By comparison, GSU plays Tn State, fbs So. Miss., & fbs Houston; SU plays fbs Troy, McNeese, & SIAC Champs Miles; Alcorn plays NCCU, Northwestern State, & fbs USA; BCU plays fbs UTEP, fbs Cent. Florida, & SCSU; Bama State plays fbs Auburn, SIAC champs Miles, & Tuskegee; MVSU plays Murray State, NCCU, & SFA; just to name a few. The schedules of these JSU opponents are stronger than JSU's own powder-puff schedule.

I like Casey, but a lot of people are really high on a QB that has had one good game in his career. He started other games and wet the bed bad. A&M spring game was the 1st one he ever started and finished. Other games he had been pulled or hurt.

Look at the one game he had with a decent one line and RB/WRs against a D1 team. Maynor saw it as well. That's why he can groom him a year behind Glass

Back