SWAC Announces Purchase of Corporate Office Building

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
so the SWAC office will be stuck in Bham instead of moving to Houston, New Orleans, or Jackson like many on this board wished for..ok got it!
Houston. TSU fans don't even come out to their games. However, they would have got great rates in Houston with the way oil is headed and all the consolidating of smaller oil companies.

Houston. TSU fans don't even come out to their games. However, they would have got great rates in Houston with the way oil is headed and all the consolidating of smaller oil companies.

Winning cures all evil -

Offer was on the table several years ago to move to Houston by the current mayor. Had office space and everything for them - past leadership didn’t move on it.

Houston - The City of Houston has made an offer to the Southwestern Athletic Conference to move its headquarters from Birmingham, Ala. to Houston.

“We’re trying to move them here from Alabama and set them up in the city of Houston,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

Winning cures all evil -

Offer was on the table several years ago to move to Houston by the current mayor. Had office space and everything for them - past leadership didn’t move on it.

Houston - The City of Houston has made an offer to the Southwestern Athletic Conference to move its headquarters from Birmingham, Ala. to Houston.

“We’re trying to move them here from Alabama and set them up in the city of Houston,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

It clearly wasnt an adequate offer. Knowing Houston, it probably was half assed. McClelland seems to be fine with Birmingham.

I think the HQ building looks good, and has enough size to meet our needs, and allows for expansion in future endeavors. I'd like to see more SWAC ambiance on both the outside and inside of the building that let's you know you're entering SWAC-land, but overall big props.

Some of y'all really need to come off of this Houston obsession. It's in Birmingham were it belongs, because Birmingham has offered the best package and incentives for our conference that no other city has been willing to match. I'd rather be in a city that caters to our needs than one that will more often than not, take advantage or have us operating in the red. It's not even up for debate anymore. The numbers have already bore themselves out when Duer Sharp was at the helm. Get over it!

I think the HQ building looks good, and has enough size to meet our needs, and allows for expansion in future endeavors. I'd like to see more SWAC ambiance on both the outside and inside of the building that let's you know you're entering SWAC-land, but overall big props.

Some of y'all really need to come off of this Houston obsession. It's in Birmingham were it belongs, because Birmingham has offered the best package and incentives for our conference that no other city has been willing to match. I'd rather be in a city that caters to our needs than one that will more often than not, take advantage or have us operating in the red. It's not even up for debate anymore. The numbers have already bore themselves out when Duer Sharp was at the helm. Get over it!
That was the problem, duer sharp at the helm.

Last edited:
It clearly wasnt an adequate offer. Knowing Houston, it probably was half assed. McClelland seems to be fine with Birmingham.

Duer wasn’t too keen on moving - he liked being close to Atlanta - that’s around the time the major championships moved to Houston so the iron was hot as they could’ve got more. Shreveport damn near gave the swac everything and Vowels didn’t force the issue either.

BHam changed leadership recently and it’s more progressive and more in sync with McClelland. The whole issue at the end of the day is basketball and football championships anyway - where the office does business is moot. At one time it was an issue cause the football and basketball championships were held there and people associated the office with that.

Campus is cool but the first two at NRG had an electric vibe and folks thought that was the future lol

As a Texas Southern Alum, I know we can't make claims about big nice facilities when we have Memorial park, MacGregor park and Dudley as D1 facilities.

But those two parks have helped softball and baseball pretty much dominate and Durley hosts one of the most popular track meets in the state

There are folks with nicer things but in some aspects they get spoiled and lose that edge. So when you get something new you better make sure they stay hungry as it doesn’t take much to become a loser

What in the hell does fans have to do with where the conference's corporate office building is located? Hell, does Alabama State and A&M alums tailgate outside the building? Let me call my guy Andrew Roberts to look out his window and send me some pics!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
As a Texas Southern Alum, I know we can't make claims about big nice facilities when we have Memorial park, MacGregor park and Dudley as D1 facilities.

Right, we're land-locked and regularly win SWAC championships against the other nine conference member schools right from those parks.

Right, we're land-locked and regularly win SWAC championships against the other nine conference member schools right from those parks.

More than any other SWAC institution, the Souithern Jaguars have been contenders for championships in the 4 major sports of football, men's basketball. women's basketball, and baseball in recent years. SU consistently vie for the SWAC football championship, and for the previous 2 years
has been Western Division champions. Just last year, men's basketball came within 1 game of a tie for the conference championship. Women's basketball was SWAC champs in 2019 and runner-ups in 2020, and consistently contend for the conference queenpin. Our baseball progreen is the reigning champions, and looking ahead appears to be the team to beat in SWAC. Some SWAC schools are strong in one major sport or the other and weak in all the rest, but SU has been strong in all the major sports and is always in the conversation. And we are the only school that can stake that claim!

More than any other SWAC institution, the Souithern Jaguars have been contenders for championships in the 4 major sports of football, men's basketball. women's basketball, and baseball in recent years. SU consistently vie for the SWAC football championship, and for the previous 2 years
has been Western Division champions. Just last year, men's basketball came within 1 game of a tie for the conference championship. Women's basketball was SWAC champs in 2019 and runner-ups in 2020, and consistently contend for the conference queenpin. Our baseball progreen is the reigning champions, and looking ahead appears to be the team to beat in SWAC. Some SWAC schools are strong in one major sport or the other and weak in all the rest, but SU has been strong in all the major sports and is always in the conversation. And we are the only school that can stake that claim!
Lol....Brother Earle I'm well aware of your alma mater's athletic success. Your zeal and enthusiasm for your school is admirable.

I see 22nd Street, can anybody tell me the other intersecting street it? Just curious.

Does this also indicate a possible move for the SWAC Championship game moving back to Bham?

OR is it going to remain in Houston?
Im not familiar with street names... but its in the old BJCC parking lot right between the BJCC and Top Golf.

@LAW DAWG

Earle you played into his point - you all have decent facilities and if they aren't "decent" its on campus to say the least so you should be expected to win. TSU softball has won 11 West titles in a row playing at a city park they don't see until gameday and baseball has 3 titles over the past few years playing at another city park. Both teams were in the mix last just by the non-conference performance

Yes, coaching has plenty to do with it but you gotta have something to sell also when you recruit when it comes down to getting other players that have options. Especially baseball and softball as those are suburban sports. Every time they beat someone with an on campus stadium that should make an AD mad.

Back