Sooooo...How Are Things Shaping Up On Your Ladies' BB Court?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right lol. Dare I say the coaching staffs on the women's side are better than the men. There are championship caliber coaches at SU, PV, Txsu, and Bama state. Aamu staff is good and even though Gsu fell off last year they've been decent the last few years. Im sure more teams recruited for size during the off season. We definitely added another 6'5 transfer as well as one that's 6'4 to compliment Ameshya.
I dont think we really need to recruit for height in the SWAC.... I would put more of an emphasis on weight than height... I would take a big boned 6'1 over a 6'5....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The difference is that we got transfers that can play. Lol.. And some freshmen that can shoot. Last year was the groundwork for the championship run this year. JSU is no mystery for us this year. We know how to beat that tall girl now.

Everybody got transfers that can play 😆. Everybody got some freshmen that can shoot. What else you got? Reed got unfinished business so your championship run will come up short lol. JSU is still the team to beat.

I dont think we really need to recruit for height in the SWAC.... I would put more of an emphasis on weight than height... I would take a big boned 6'1 over a 6'5....

Yea Reed got both. Sandy definitely went after height with her signing class. Things should get pretty interesting real soon.

Now someone from A&M made a comment that BCU's Lady Wildcats may be the most talented team in the Conference! Waiting for @Polecat561 to give us some info about that!

A few close calls in March, never the less a great conference record. Reviewing the schedule, it looks like they follow the MEAC formula for minimizing P-5 competition which reflects in their overall record positively.

February and March BCU schedule:
1601436750293.png

Now someone from A&M made a comment that BCU's Lady Wildcats may be the most talented team in the Conference! Waiting for @Polecat561 to give us some info about that!

Interesting.

It's hard to believe it's true considering other teams in the conference. Should make for a lot of great matchups if true.

Not me.

I'd take a 6' 5" fit and athletic girl over a "big boned" girl all day, every day. Most likely faster, quicker, and a better rebounder. Less likely to get tired at the end of the game. And if you have two or more girls 6'4" or taller, the rebounding advantage over average teams is generally even greater.

You can't coach height.

Not me.

I'd take a 6' 5" fit and athletic girl over a "big boned" girl all day, every day. Most likely faster, quicker, and a better rebounder. Less likely to get tired at the end of the game. And if you have two or more girls 6'4" or taller, the rebounding advantage over average teams is generally even greater.

You can't coach height.
but I see it as no different from a 7 footer in SWAC mens basketball... If we are getting a 6'5 girl out of high school...then (lets be real) something aint right about her... transfer may be a different story. Alot of the height Ive seen in the SWAC has been tall skinny toothpick looking girls. Take the big girl from JSU she is the PERFECT size... tall but got some meat on her bones.

btw the SWACs leading rebounder last year was 5'10... Height dont equal rebounds.

but I see it as no different from a 7 footer in SWAC mens basketball... If we are getting a 6'5 girl out of high school...then (lets be real) something aint right about her... transfer may be a different story. Alot of the height Ive seen in the SWAC has been tall skinny toothpick looking girls. Take the big girl from JSU she is the PERFECT size... tall but got some meat on her bones.

btw the SWACs leading rebounder last year was 5'10... Height dont equal rebounds.

I'll bet that changes this year. With more than one team have three girls 6'4" and above, look for the teams with the height to lead the league in rebounding. Even if a 5'10" girl is among the individual leaders.

As far as Ameshya is concerned, you have to remember she transferred from an SEC school. Where she was the third or fourth tallest player on the team. There were a few "big boned" girls around 6' o 6'1" on the team at the time, but over time they were eventually phased out for more physically fit girls. Why? Because they were liabilities on defense. Slow to get up the court and not quick. Tired easily. And Mississippi State became a national power as they got rid of those big-boned girls. They also had a shorter girl that was among the nation's leaders in rebounds that was around 5'11". But, the leading rebounder on the team? 6'7".

These coaches know what they are doing by getting several tall players. They are going to rotate them in and out. Play two at a time. Imagine Ameshya playing the 4 (which is her natural position) with a taller girl at the 5. And another one on the bench ready to sub. Ain't no 5'10" girl outrebounding that three-headed monster.

SWAC women's basketball is changing. For the better. I like what I see.

Last edited:

But height does equal rebounds. Ameshya was not in basketball shape for over half of the season so she only averaged around 20 mins a game while others averaged 30. Also you have to remember its a team sport. We led in Rebounding offense, offensive rebounds, Rebounding margin, and defensive rebounds (regardless of individual rebounds there wasn't a team in the swac that stood a chance with our height). Ameshya looks totally different this year. Still has some meat but way more athletic.

Last edited:
We need to recruit players who can play on the next level. All of this recruiting just to win the SWAC is ludicrous and shortsighted.

We need to recruit players who can play on the next level. All of this recruiting just to win the SWAC is ludicrous and shortsighted.

Let these coaches develop these tall girls. In three or four years, I have a feeling more non-conference victories are coming.

Like I said, I think the coaches know what they're doing.

The WNBA right now ain't giving us a serious look so we need to go with what works best for each school. Hill, with all the press she got for two quadruple doubles, didn't even get a sniff of the WNBA. She is flourishing overseas though (and I'm sure she will end up eventually making more if she stays over there for at least 10 years

The WNBA right now ain't giving us a serious look so we need to go with what works best for each school. Hill, with all the press she got for two quadruple doubles, didn't even get a sniff of the WNBA. She is flourishing overseas though (and I'm sure she will end up eventually making more if she stays over there for at least 10 years
That doesn't just happen to our girls but start beating these PWIs or taking them to the limit consistently will turn some heads. Getting beaten by 70 points OOC and then getting a quad double in conference will not get many looks if any. They look at it as an anomaly instead of the norm...even if she did it twice in conference they look at it as playing inferior talent. We need to beat consistently high profile teams.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Rice had a 6-9 girl last year but she wasn’t a factor against TSU as they ran her and the team off the floor and they were tops in CUSA.

in WBB it’s about the guards first as if they can speed a game up a big person is useless.

a big person comes into play when guard play is equal and you gotta run the sets.

Rice had a 6-9 girl last year but she wasn’t a factor against TSU as they ran her and the team off the floor and they were tops in CUSA.

in WBB it’s about the guards first as if they can speed a game up a big person is useless.

a big person comes into play when guard play is equal and you gotta run the sets.

That was Nancy, she played with my daughter at CyWoods and she really only had 1 good year. That was when she had a dominate forward that could also ball out and take some heat off of her. She always a foot problems and didn't live up to the hype.

I can't wait to see BCU thrown into the SWAC Women mix. It would be nice if some of these SWAC WBB games are shown on ESPN3, YouTube etc (I know some of them will be as well as the school's websites).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back