New SWAC band rankings with FAMU

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
So as of June 5, 2020 FAMU is ranked and not even a member of the SWAC on said date.

they are a member of the SWAC...you been under a rock?
Can’t deny they’re making their way back ever since that hazing incident almost killed their program

SWAC band rankings that include FAMU, should look like this:
1. Southern University/Florida A&M University
2. Jackson State University
3. Prairie View University
4. Grambling State University/Alabama A&M University
5. Alcorn State University
6. Alabama State University
7. Texas Southern University University/Mississippi Valley State University/University of Arkansas Pine Bluff

The notoriety and respect that a band enjoys is earned over the course of many consecutive, grueling years of hard work. You can't just have a good year or two and expect public sentiment to shift in your favor. You can't just wish upon a band's success, or wish away a band's success. Again, it must be earned through hard work and perseverance!. The atl hornet has expended so much of his time in this forum trying his damnest best to sway vulnearable psyches, although with little to no success, that the band of his alma mater, the ASU Hornets, is one of the best bands in the conference, and indeed in the nation. He has even ranked his band in this thread as the 4th best band in the conference, tied with SU, a suggestion that offends me greatly. To even list your band in the same conversation as SU and some of the better hbcu bands, borders on the absurd, if not the insane.

SWAC band rankings that include FAMU, should look like this:
1. Southern University/Florida A&M University
2. Jackson State University
3. Prairie View University
4. Grambling State University/Alabama A&M University
5. Alcorn State University
6. Alabama State University
7. Texas Southern University University/Mississippi Valley State University/University of Arkansas Pine Bluff

The notoriety and respect that a band enjoys is earned over the course of many consecutive, grueling years of hard work. You can't just have a good year or two and expect public sentiment to shift in your favor. You can't just wish upon a band's success, or wish away a band's success. Again, it must be earned through hard work and perseverance!. The atl hornet has expended so much of his time in this forum trying his damnest best to sway vulnearable psyches, although with little to no success, that the band of his alma mater, the ASU Hornets, is one of the best bands in the conference, and indeed in the nation. He has even ranked his band in this thread as the 4th best band in the conference, tied with SU, a suggestion that offends me greatly. To even list your band in the same conversation as SU and some of the better hbcu bands, borders on the absurd, if not the insane.

listen here

if this were 1992-2011, then yes, without a doubt SU would be #1 or #2 any given year in that time period. there have been changes made to the Jukebox that IMO havent been for the better. There is no shame in being near the top half of bands in the conference. cant win em all jack

and this was a ranking for this past season, not a legacy ranking.

listen here

if this were 1992-2011, then yes, without a doubt SU would be #1 or #2 any given year in that time period. there have been changes made to the Jukebox that IMO havent been for the better. There is no shame in being near the top half of bands in the conference. cant win em all jack

Bruh why dont you realize that YALL SUCK... NOBODY likes yall!

listen here

Any ranking this past season would have ASU dead last! Bruh, you are fighting a losing battle! No one would rank a band of that quality as highly as you do.

JSU
Gram
FAMU
Bama State/SU
Alcorn/PV
UAPB
Txsu
AAMU
Valley

Bands on the come up- PV, ASU, Grambling

Discuss

I wholeheartedly agree with your ranking, for once, you finally got it right. 1f44d.png

When you're on the top
People will congratulate on the streets for being the #1 band in the land
They say they love the way the Boom enters a stadium
They say how great the Boom sounds, the Summa Cum Laude of Bands, the Sonic Boom of the South
Standing on the Top

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with your ranking, for once, you finally got it right. View attachment 9992

When you're on the top
People will congratulate on the streets for being the #1 band in the land
They say they love the way the Boom enters a stadium
They say how great the Boom sounds, the Summa Cum Laude of Bands, the Sonic Boom of the South
Standing on the Top

finally

someone who isn’t hating

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I would move TXSU up to 9 and have a tie for 10th with Bama State & Valley.....LOL

you got jokes

like I’ve said numerous of times, when I marched from 06-08, we were the bullies of the SWAC. Now ill be the first to admit the program has gone down a tad, but we’re nowhere near the bottom. I fully expect recruitment to pick back up with the new hires that have been made.

We had a few New Orleans dudes in the band when I marched, and with the addition of PJ to the staff (a New Orleans native) we’re going to start getting kids from there again. Also we should be stopping those kids who have been choosing Talladega over us with the changes being made.

you got jokes

like I’ve said numerous of times, when I marched from 06-08, we were the bullies of the SWAC. Now ill be the first to admit the program has gone down a tad, but we’re nowhere near the bottom. I fully expect recruitment to pick back up with the new hires that have been made.

We had a few New Orleans dudes in the band when I marched, and with the addition of PJ to the staff (a New Orleans native) we’re going to start getting kids from there again. Also we should be stopping those kids who have been choosing Talladega over us with the changes being made.

I'm not joking......Bama State is tied for last in the SWAC. Bully? (crack kills)

you got jokes

Maybe they pick Talladega over Alabama State because it is a lot easier to get in school there. All they probably have to do is show up at Talladega. Straight band students. Some probably still have yet to graduate high school. I knew someone from my high school who went to Grambling because they immediately offered him a scholarship after hearing him perform with the high school jazz band. Academically, he wasn't prepared. Later on, he admitted to me that he should have gone to Southern due to our highly recognized jazz program, which was under the direction of Alvin Baptiste, with the likes of Branford Marsalis, Randy Jackson, Michael Ward, and others as his students. Due to his poor academic achievements, he didn't graduate from Grambling. I do believe he had a better chance at Southern as a music major, since music was pretty much everything to him. Sometimes kids pick schools based on a scholarship, but that's not always the best decision. IMO, Talladega is selling a lot of these kids a pipe dream of marching in their band, but once that is said and done, where to they go from there. Band is just a small part of what an university has to offer. Kids should recognize this and take advantage of the real opportunities academically. Travelling around the world with a school band is great, but it is definitely not everything, which is one of the reason why FAMU's band will probably never reach the 400 plus members they used to have again. In recent years, SU's band increased in size because during the Late Great Doc Greggs time, he intentionally kept the numbers down. He didn't care for big sloppy bands. I think Alabama State should take a page from his book and make the best of what they got. Adding members would just make it just that more sloppier.

Maybe they pick Talladega over Alabama State because it is a lot easier to get in school there. All they probably have to do is show up at Talladega. Straight band students. Some probably still have yet to graduate high school. I knew someone from my high school who went to Grambling because they immediately offered him a scholarship after hearing him perform with the high school jazz band. Academically, he wasn't prepared. Later on, he admitted to me that he should have gone to Southern due to our highly recognized jazz program, which was under the direction of Alvin Baptiste, with the likes of Branford Marsalis, Randy Jackson, Michael Ward, and others as his students. Due to his poor academic achievements, he didn't graduate from Grambling. I do believe he had a better chance at Southern as a music major, since music was pretty much everything to him. Sometimes kids pick schools based on a scholarship, but that's not always the best decision. IMO, Talladega is selling a lot of these kids a pipe dream of marching in their band, but once that is said and done, where to they go from there. Band is just a small part of what an university has to offer. Kids should recognize this and take advantage of the real opportunities academically. Travelling around the world with a school band is great, but it is definitely not everything, which is one of the reason why FAMU's band will probably never reach the 400 plus members they used to have again. In recent years, SU's band increased in size because during the Late Great Doc Greggs time, he intentionally kept the numbers down. He didn't care for big sloppy bands. I think Alabama State should take a page from his book and make the best of what they got. Adding members would just make it just that more sloppier.

Talladega was once considered one of the best HBCUS in the nation. I don’t know their current admission standards, & I’ll never put down a HBCU, especially in today’s climate.

but I didn’t know that about that jazz program at SU..that’s what’s up. But Bama State has the most prestigious jazz program of all HBCUS.

we’re continuing the legacy of Erskine Hawkins & the Bama State Collegians

Talladega was once considered one of the best HBCUS in the nation. I don’t know their current admission standards, & I’ll never put down a HBCU, especially in today’s climate.

but I didn’t know that about that jazz program at SU..that’s what’s up. But Bama State has the most prestigious jazz program of all HBCUS.

we’re continuing the legacy of Erskine Hawkins & the Bama State Collegians

When I marched in SU's band, we would have regular visits by individuals like Dizzy Gillespie. SU's music program is one of the best in the country, which is why so many collegiate and high school band directors have matriculated through SU.

When I marched in SU's band, we would have regular visits by individuals like Dizzy Gillespie. SU's music program is one of the best in the country, which is why so many collegiate and high school band directors have matriculated through SU.

And including a lot of schools assistant and associate directors, which some are those schools chief arrangers.

Back