4,000 TxSu Students Admitted Did Not Meet Admissions Standards

At this point I'm starting to think our latest set of regents are Trumpsters. I"ve never witnessed a TSU board make as many errors publicly as this board has and continues to do. They are public relations nightmare.

You will definitely find out their leadership skills when something like this happens. Instead of reasonable solutions, they will take drastic measures to make themselves look good.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What’s the big deal SU and GSU has open admissions if you read a legislative bill by Patrick Jefferson that was signed in to law by the Governor of Louisiana a year ago. With so many failing schools and the proof that test scores are not the fairest gauge I don’t have a problem with open admissions. HBCUs survived for a long time with those standards. But hey...black folks have short memories when they get theirs and start making money.

At this point I'm starting to think our latest set of regents are Trumpsters. I"ve never witnessed a TSU board make as many errors publicly as this board has and continues to do. They are public relations nightmare.

Most universities are relaxing standards due to covid19. Even under normal circumstances increasing a whole point doesn't make any logical sense.

What’s the big deal SU and GSU has open admissions if you read a legislative bill by Patrick Jefferson that was signed in to law by the Governor of Louisiana a year ago. With so many failing schools and the proof that test scores are not the fairest gauge I don’t have a problem with open admissions. HBCUs survived for a long time with those standards. But hey...black folks have short memories when they get theirs and start making money.
No we don't.

Most universities are relaxing standards due to covid19. Even under normal circumstances increasing a whole point doesn't make any logical sense.

Man, I know.....I told some of our alums our regents have cycled off their mental meds with this latest pronouncement.

Clearly you dont know what you talking about SU in the 90's stop open admissions, BRCC was establish in 1995. Also
the program with SUSLA.. I swear people will make up stuff. He'll even SUNO did away with open admissions years ago..

Last edited:
That is correct, SU did away with open admissions several years ago. GSU was allowed to maintain its open admissions stamdard under a consent decree, but was suppose to transition to selective admissions at some future point. At selective intervals, SU was initially required to raise its gpa requirements.

Many universities are looking at dropping ACT/SAT test requirements for the racial bias of the test questions. I believe University of California has suspended for the next two years with totally dropping the requirement for California residents 2024 or 2025...

So now they trying to raise the undergraduate GPA admission requirement from 2.5 to 3.5. What the hell are they smoking down there?

They managed to retreat from their world of the paranormal and euphoria this morning.

TSU makes temporary changes to admission requirements amid COVID-19 pandemic

Texas Southern University’s board of regents voted Monday to waive test score requirements for the upcoming academic year for student applicants who are in the top 25 percent of their class and also earn a 3.0 minimum GPA.

The approved admissions standard of a 3.0 GPA differs from the regents’ agenda proposal, which originally listed 3.5 as the minimum GPA.

With TSU’s temporary admissions measures, students who earn a GPA between 2.5 and a 2.99 will be required to submit test scores, but if they don’t have those records because of circumstances presented by the pandemic, the application will be considered pending until those documents are received, Medina said.

Students who aren’t able to secure testing can go through an appeals process with admissions officials that the board is slated to develop and likely outline during its next meeting, she said. Students with a GPA under 2.5 will be denied admission.

They managed to retreat from their world of the paranormal and euphoria this morning.

TSU makes temporary changes to admission requirements amid COVID-19 pandemic

Texas Southern University’s board of regents voted Monday to waive test score requirements for the upcoming academic year for student applicants who are in the top 25 percent of their class and also earn a 3.0 minimum GPA.

The approved admissions standard of a 3.0 GPA differs from the regents’ agenda proposal, which originally listed 3.5 as the minimum GPA.

With TSU’s temporary admissions measures, students who earn a GPA between 2.5 and a 2.99 will be required to submit test scores, but if they don’t have those records because of circumstances presented by the pandemic, the application will be considered pending until those documents are received, Medina said.

Students who aren’t able to secure testing can go through an appeals process with admissions officials that the board is slated to develop and likely outline during its next meeting, she said. Students with a GPA under 2.5 will be denied admission.
So what does this mean for kids who were already accepted prior to yesterday?

So what does this mean for kids who were already accepted prior to yesterday?

It doesn't say the change is retroactive, but who knows with this board. Some applicants already have received their financial aid packet so they might be okay, but the ones that haven't might find themselves caught by the latest change since there are still a few remaining months until the fall semester commences.

About 5,800 of the 11,000 applicants for the fall have already been admitted to TSU, with about 2,200 who have already received their financial aid packages, officials said. At least 100 students have been admitted on the condition that they complete the college’s online pilot version of its existing Summer of Success academic preparedness program.

It doesn't say the change is retroactive, but who knows with this board. Some applicants already have received their financial aid packet so they might be okay, but the ones that haven't might find themselves caught by the latest change since there are still a few remaining months until the fall semester commences.

About 5,800 of the 11,000 applicants for the fall have already been admitted to TSU, with about 2,200 who have already received their financial aid packages, officials said. At least 100 students have been admitted on the condition that they complete the college’s online pilot version of its existing Summer of Success academic preparedness program.
My son is in that 5,800 number.

LMAO @ SU folks....I guess those 6 to 9 credit hours of remedial classes yall offer during the summer to "certain students" is not consistent with open admissions. Open admissions in higher education is not always spelled out as "Open Admissions." The powers that be utilize various terms to satisfy certain masses....at the end of the day if it walks like a duck....talks like a duck...and looks like a duck then it is duck...yet under SU Logic it's an Elephant.

LMAO @ SU folks....I guess those 6 to 9 credit hours of remedial classes yall offer during the summer to "certain students" is not consistent with open admissions. Open admissions in higher education is not always spelled out as "Open Admissions." The powers that be utilize various terms to satisfy certain masses....at the end of the day if it walks like a duck....talks like a duck...and looks like a duck then it is duck...yet under SU Logic it's an Elephant.
TSU has that same type of program too. But that's not what they were using to admit those students.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
TSU has that same type of program too. But that's not what they were using to admit those students.

It really doesn't matter....test scores have been proven invalid and with all the failing high schools there is really no point to not have open admissions. Hell there are people on this page posting right now that had it not been for open admissions that would not have been able to enroll in college. Yet, there are some (and we know who they are) proclaiming intelligence should only be supplied to those who have high performing academics. Some kids just need a chance. HBCUs were built on giving everyone a chance but our leaders decided to follow in the footsteps of PWIs.

One of my SHIPS (line brothers) came from Chicago on open admissions. My guy's mom was a crackhead that died, pop left him and his mom, and he was raised by grandma. He came to GSU with $50 from his grandma. No application, no visit...just rode a bus with some friends. He barely had a 2.00 in high school and the SAT/ACT score was non-existent. He took some remedial courses for a semester and was enrolled completely in the spring. He is now an assistant principle in the same community he grew up in.

There are tons of stories like this at HBCUs but they go untold.

The primary reason open admissions ended was because of the retention rate and the default rate of student loans. Yet, no one ever asked how to fix the retention rate or loan default.

This has gotta stop! This kind of and degree of wheeling and dealing is undermining the integrity of our universities.

Last edited:
This has gotta stop! This kind of and degree of wheeling and dealing is undemining the integrity of our universities.

All you can do is investigate them, fire them and turn the findings over to higher authorities if you catch them. He ran his scheme for a good little while and only got caught because someone that tried to get in by use of his scheme didn't get their way and started complaining.

When open admissions stopped...what ethnicity was hurt the most.....let that set in for a moment.

These days open admissions hurts Black folks the most in my opinion. College costs way too much these days and most Black people take out loans. Cant be gambling on unprepared students anymore. That loan debt puts alot of people in a hole and when they default , the HBCU takes the hit. Texas has several community college options where high risk students can go at low cost to prep them for hbcus.

This has gotta stop! This kind of and degree of wheeling and dealing is undermining the integrity of our universities.

Basically, making students directly payback to him the extra scholarship money that he had gotten for them. I tell you, our folks can think of some of the dumbest schemes as a means of getting paid. IMO, this dude makes Haymer look like a Saint. I guess another one would be going to federal prison.

Boy some you sure do have the attitude "I got mine....fuck you."

I am a strong supporter in creating programs to get students in to college. Our HBCUs made a mistake by removing the open admissions policy because it left a large percentage of students out in the cold. Currently there are tons of failing high schools that some students do not have a choice but to attend. Also, many of our black students are dealing with community policing stress that affects their academic well being on a daily basis. Heck look at Chicago....but we don't take that in to consideration when posting. We need, meaning HBCUs, need to become more sympathetic to the needs of the potential students we want and NEED.

Right now some of you could not get in to your alma mater at the current the standards but you won't admit that....LOL....

Boy some you sure do have the attitude "I got mine....fuck you."

I am a strong supporter in creating programs to get students in to college. Our HBCUs made a mistake by removing the open admissions policy because it left a large percentage of students out in the cold. Currently there are tons of failing high schools that some students do not have a choice but to attend. Also, many of our black students are dealing with community policing stress that affects their academic well being on a daily basis. Heck look at Chicago....but we don't take that in to consideration when posting. We need, meaning HBCUs, need to become more sympathetic to the needs of the potential students we want and NEED.

Right now some of you could not get in to your alma mater at the current the standards but you won't admit that....LOL....

Admission standards is one of those damn if you do and damn if you don't type things, which is the reason why Southern University-Shreveport plays a vital roll in providing disadvantage Black students a pathway into a 4-year institution of higher learning. Students in Baton Rouge can now attend classes at SU-Shreveport on the SUBR's campus via teleconference. Eventhough they are not students of SUBR, they can still enjoy some of the benefits of SUBR's campus activities. Also, SU has worked closely with BRCC to tie together programs in order to make student transfer seamless. Those two reasons are primarily the main reasons why SU's enrollment is steadily increasing. Basically, HBCUs need to become more creative when their sole survival is depended on those economic disadvantage Black communities in which they serve.

Back