Bayou Classic BOTB needs a new format ASAP!

atl hornet

I have a group of students with me who traveled from Atlanta to see the BOTB & march in the parade tomorrow.

We get to the BOTB at 6, and had to sit through a damn step show, commercials, performers nobody knows, & representatives from organizations who spoke 5 times about the same damn thing.

It was a complete waste of time..by time the bands came out damn near 3 hours later, we could only stay to hear each band play once because it’s late & the kids have to wake up early for the parade tomorrow.

The step show and all that other BS needs to happen earlier in the day. Someone please tell these organizers to get their ish straight!

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I have a group of students with me who traveled from Atlanta to see the BOTB & march in the parade tomorrow.

We get to the BOTB at 6, and had to sit through a damn step show, commercials, performers nobody knows, & representatives from organizations who spoke 5 times about the same damn thing.

It was a complete waste of time..by time the bands came out damn near 3 hours later, we could only stay go head each band play once because it’s late & the kids have to wake up early for the parade tomorrow.

The step show and all that other BS needs to happen earlier in the day. Someone please tell these organizers to get their ish straight!

So much has changed my brutha. GSU and SU have to come together and finds some common ground on a lot of things. The format is being ran by folks who don’t have a clue. Trust me, there are plenty GSU/SU bandhead alumni not please with what we see.

So much has changed my brutha. GSU and SU have to come together and finds some common ground on a lot of things. The format is being ran by folks who don’t have a clue. Trust me, there are plenty GSU/SU bandhead alumni not please with what we see.

Glad it’s just not me. Nobody should have to sit through 3 hours of filler before the bands start.

And then you can’t go to the dome at 8:30 thinking you’ll be skipping the step show, because you won’t have anywhere to sit

I hope the brothers and sisters at GSU & SU can influence someone to change things.

Glad it’s just not me. Nobody should have to sit through 3 hours of filler before the bands start.

And then you can’t go to the dome at 8:30 thinking you’ll be skipping the step show, because you won’t have anywhere to sit

I hope the brothers and sisters at GSU & SU can influence someone to change things.

Oh lord. Getting SU and GSU to sit down and agree to what happens at the Bayou Classic can either go two ways.

A. Two educated family members making a decision that pleases both alumni.

B. Your most ghetto cousin fighting with your most country cousin over the remote to the TV. 😂

Reactions: JR

It was a complete waste of time..by time the bands came out damn near 3 hours later, we could only stay to hear each band play once because it’s late & the kids have to wake up early for the parade tomorrow.

Kinda reminds me of MCC halftime. After all the introductions presentations and talking ,people blame the bands for staying on the field too long. Just let the GM say hello and keep it moving

AMEN! I quit going because of that.

Tho the Southern Heritage Classic is One Of The biggest HBCU classics, its definitely well thought out and utilize fans/supporters time wisely....

Tho the Southern Heritage Classic is One Of The biggest HBCU classics, its definitely well thought out and utilize fans/supporters time wisely....
To be fair, its not the same as the Bayou. BC has been around much longer and is a bigger overall event. While the SHC is definitely a great game, its really just a one day affair and TN state are not our natural rivals. The Soul Bowl/CCC could have been a lot better but we didn't have a gameplan. People who are not even affiliated with either school make their way to the Bayou Classic.

My dad went JSU and my mom only went to community college and we were regulars at the Bayou Classic growing up. That's one reason I go so hard at SU on here. I grew up around them.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The stepshow & all the filler stuff sucks all the energy up from the audience. It’s unfortunate because everyone is there for the bands. You can see a stepshow during homecoming week at every hbcu. This should be about the bands & the bands alone. Get that shit kicked off at 7pm & let them folks go roam the streets & drink.

I stopped going a long time ago but I went last year because I had some people with me who had never gone. We stood in line far too long. It was stupid late when it was over. We all hated the overall experience.

The stepshow should go

The Battle of The Bands’ Greek Show should only feature the winning fraternity and sorority from both schools’ homecoming competitions. It should be the best from Grambling vs the best from Southern. Once the judges vote for the two winners, the bands need to march in.

If that can’t happen, then the entire step show needs to be held in champion square at 12:00pm or 1:00pm before the game.

The Battle of The Bands’ Greek Show should only feature the winning fraternity and sorority from both schools’ homecoming competitions. It should be the best from Grambling vs the best from Southern. Once the judges vote for the two winners, the bands need to march in.

If that can’t happen, then the entire step show needs to be held in champion square at 12:00pm or 1:00pm before the game.
Honestly man, its two different crowds. I wouldn't even make it a competition. Maybe make them guest performers and give 10 minute segments and then go straight to the bands. People are there for the bands.

I think the champion square is a much better option.

Consider yourself fortunate...when I was in school...they had greeks from Xavier, Dillard, SUNO, all over stepping too. At least they cut it down to Grambling and Southern. I really could do without the Marine band too...but they are the sponsor. I see they got rid of that wack ass comedian Steve Brown or whatever his name is.

Honestly man, its two different crowds. I wouldn't even make it a competition. Maybe make them guest performers and give 10 minute segments and then go straight to the bands. People are there for the bands.

I think the champion square is a much better option.

I hear ya, but for the sake of keeping a tradition, I would start the Greek Show at 6:00pm and have the bands marching in at 7:00pm. I would give all four step teams 10 minutes to shine, and then announce the winners at 6:50pm.

Consider yourself fortunate...when I was in school...they had greeks from Xavier, Dillard, SUNO, all over stepping too. At least they cut it down to Grambling and Southern. I really could do without the Marine band too...but they are the sponsor. I see they got rid of that wack ass comedian Steve Brown or whatever his name is.

Lord, I remember them dreadful battles! From Dillard........ From Xavier.......... That shhh was dreadful!

However, at least the stepping from SU and GSU was better back then! Now and days, the fraternities step like sororities, and vice versa. The stepping is pathetic now! It’s just s whack theme and a few claps/smacks. These teams just don’t step anymore! In those 90’s, the SU Q-Dogs use to cut up and GSU’s Alpha’s use STEP and own the competition!

Back